Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

What stall for my planned mods.

Okay im finally going to be able to buy my stall sometime soon.

im planning on:

Long tubes, dual cut outs, ms3 cam or similar, sfcs, lcas, konis, strano springs, 150 shot, ls6 intake (maybe fast 90 if i can afford it). eventually heads when i can afford it... you get the picture.

i DD it. however, im not worried about how streetable it is, i only have to drive it 30-40 miles a week. other than that its a garage rat. and im planning to get a different DD soon, so this will be drove even less

also, where are you guys buying from? i saw performabuilt sold them, but havent heard anything about them. ive also heard good things about yank, fuddle and vigilante. Who has the best bang for the buck?

should i go with a 4000? maybe a 4200? or should i stay around 3600 to 3800? is it really that much different?
    Last edited by totalkos; 01-03-2009 at 10:34 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I run a 4600 now, and I know that traction is my enemy now...I would suggest staying in the 3600 - 3800 range. I have every mod possible under my car ! You also want to beef the tranny some, add the beast clutch basket too ! Good Luck !!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If you can search for lemons 12 he has minor mods and I think he was in the 11's or 10's
    with 4000 stall, 243 heads?, fast 90, headers and 4.10 gears.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    If you can search for lemons 12 he has minor mods and I think he was in the 11's or 10's
    410 gears in an auto? whats his top end like? max speed? i dont think i could go any higher than 3.90s when i swap over to a 9 inch.

is beefing up the transmission really necessary for my planned mods? i dont plan to launch using the nitrous, its really not gonna be be a track only car or anything like that. i cant afford to break stuff, and i cant afford to make everything bulletproof.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I run a 4600 now, and I know that traction is my enemy now...I would suggest staying in the 3600 - 3800 range. I have every mod possible under my car ! You also want to beef the tranny some, add the beast clutch basket too ! Good Luck !!!
    clutch basket? explain more please. Sorry i dont know that much yet.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I'm still running the origonal 4L60e transmission in mine, with a moser / 4.10 gear. I go through the 1/4 mile traps at 126 mph in drive, or third gear. The basket is the clutch pack keeper in the A4. It will be a weak link with a high stall. Here's an ebay link to one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THE-B...spagenameZWDVW

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

you'll have to ask lemons12 all the info. Some of the stuff your listing is not cheap-the konis for one. A stall and a big cam like the ms3 will hold up it's just how long will it hold up? These damn trannies and rearends don't like the extra power so you might want to take sfc's off the list and add panhard rod, and maybe some relocation brackets.

383/372 CMS tuned
    2000 z28

3600 stall at least

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

you'll have to ask lemons12 all the info. Some of the stuff your listing is not cheap-the konis for one. A stall and a big cam like the ms3 will hold up it's just how long will it hold up? These damn trannies and rearends don't like the extra power so you might want to take sfc's off the list and add panhard rod, and maybe some relocation brackets.
    yeah, well, i really dont have that much money to spend, but im not going to waste money on other shocks, they just dont seem to be very good... so i feel like i have to spend it in that area.

i know i will eventually have to replace the rear. but im going to avoid hard launches so maybe it will last until i get the $$ for the moser.

so if i dont use the sfcs, and add a panhard rod it would help with breakage? because it would allow it to flex instead? can that be bad for the car?

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jsteele90 View Post
    3600 stall at least
    yeah i plan on it! just didnt know if i should go with a 4000 on it.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

I'm still running the origonal 4L60e transmission in mine, with a moser / 4.10 gear. I go through the 1/4 mile traps at 126 mph in drive, or third gear. The basket is the clutch pack keeper in the A4. It will be a weak link with a high stall. Here's an ebay link to one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THE-B...spagenameZWDVW
    would this be difficult to install? what involved? i can do the converter, but never changed out something in the trans

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    would this be difficult to install? what involved? i can do the converter, but never changed out something in the trans
    The tranny will be out for the stall. I would check with a transmission shop for the install and have the rest freshened up while it's out. The smaller the stall, less chance of breaking it. If you plan on wheelies, better rebuild it ! LOL !!!

Metallic Red/Charcoal
    2000 Z28

If you plan on wheelies, better rebuild it ! LOL !!!
    If the photo represents your normal launch, I'd say that's a real under statment. LOL !!!

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Night Move View Post
    If the photo represents your normal launch, I'd say that's a real under statment. LOL !!!
    That's pretty much normal... Can't complain on the 4L60e, it's been great !!! I don't even have a shift kit, just use HP Tuners to program the shift points, and leave it in OD at the launch.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

some people who have put in sfc's and nothing else experience wheel hop, which is bad for the rear. So yeah kind of, you might want to look into a torque arm as well.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

okay, thanks for your help guys, looks like ill be going with a 3600 or so. just dont have the money to go with the 4000 or 4200 and break everything.. i know ill probably still have some problems, but im gonna try to avoid as much as i can.

if i had the $$ to beef the tranny i would do that too!. i cant afford what i would really like to do on this car.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Yup, A little here, a little there !!! I'm an ebay addict !!! I look for bargains all the time. E-Bay should sponser my car !!! LOL !!!

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

how much have you saved? so you basically just wait till the right deal comes along? or just watch it all the time?

hugger orange

how much have you saved? so you basically just wait till the right deal comes along? or just watch it all the time?
    trust me....he watches all the time, and has his watch list full at all times. Bill is an ebay addict lol.
    but it does payoff, just checkout sellers feedback really good

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

ms4 cam, full exhaust, ported 90/90, 410s, 4k Vig stall, little weight reduction..

with that setup i was in the low 11s..

410 gears in an auto? whats his top end like? max speed? i dont think i could go any higher than 3.90s when i swap over to a 9 inch.

is beefing up the transmission really necessary for my planned mods? i dont plan to launch using the nitrous, its really not gonna be be a track only car or anything like that. i cant afford to break stuff, and i cant afford to make everything bulletproof.
    yes 410s.. i run the 1/8 so i could care less about my top end.. top speed is around 140 mph... i run on a 26 inch tire (because i run the 1/8).. so if i switched to a taller tire, it would move my top speed up.. but like i said, i could care less.. i hook with a 26 inch, so no reason to move up yet..
    also, IMO, suspension mods are a waste of money on a budget build..
    only suspension mods to my car is !sway bar..

i DD my car... put about 50 miles on it a day.. make over 400rwhp.. like stated, ms4 cam, ported 90/90, PRC ls6 heads, 4k stall, full exhaust, 410s, weight reduction.. hasnt shit on me yet.. stock bottom end, tranny, and rear end..

for your original question.. your on a tight budget obviously.. so your most bang for your buck....

what **I** would do is...

forget the suspension mods.. will save you hundreds, and isnt going to help a lot.. keep stock springs and stuff also.. you have better places to spend your money

you only need 1 cutout.. no reason for two.. just 100 more dollars wasted

ls6 intake with ported TB

with the money you saved from getting only 1 cutout, not getting suspension mods, going with an ls6 intake over a FAST.. buy heads, get some PRCls6s or 5.3s... either one will compliment your setup good, i would go with PRCls6s... but im biased somewhat.. i love mine..

4000 Vig Stall... will plant your ass in the seat on motor, and isnt too loose for nitrous

373s or 410s... depending on what kind of racing you do..

DYNOTUNE!!! not some shit tune..

i dont know if you want to do any weight reduction.. dont spend any money on weight reduction.. my car weighs 3016 lbs right now and i havnt spent a dime on weight reduction except for draglites.. if you have the extra money buy some front draglites (skinnies) should only be about 200 bucks for a used set with tires.. you will lose a shit ton of weight (and its rotating mass not dead weight so it counts for more)

this should put you at an EASY EASY low 11 second pass.. if you want to take some weight out, you will hit 10s.. or you can just spray a 150 shot through a cheap nitrous kit and hit mid 10s easy....

and yes, there is a huge difference between a 3600 and 4400.. night and day..

----sorry for the novel....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information