Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

What stall?

This is a discussion on What stall? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I currently have a 2001 Camaro Z28 and it is currently stock. I think that the best "bang for the ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    columbia, sc
    Posts
    48

    black
    2001 camaro z28

    What stall?

    I currently have a 2001 Camaro Z28 and it is currently stock. I think that the best "bang for the buck mod" on an auto is a torque converter. What stall would you recommend? I plan on going with the complete exhaust (LT headers, y-pipe, catback), cam & heads package. Thank you,

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    12

    artic white
    2000 ss

    You could e mail any of the big name converter companies with your mods and future mods to get their suggestions.Yank,Precision Industries and Fuddle.

  3. #3
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    if the car is going to be a daily driver and keep the cam under the 230/230 range, a 3500 rpm stall would be a good choice.

    if the car is fair weather and you get a 230+ cam a 4000 rpm verter will fit the bill.
    do tell what youre goals for the car are.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

  4. #4
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by ed317
    You could e mail any of the big name converter companies with your mods and future mods to get their suggestions.Yank,Precision Industries and Fuddle.
    sometimes the companies are full of shit.
    its better to get an idea of what you want before asking them.

    example, last year when i was going to order my cam, i asked fms whats the biggest cam i could use with 1.85 rocker arms, their reply was a 228/228 with like a 580 lift.
    if i would of listened to the fuckers, i would of had to rebuild my motor because that cam would of been way to much lift.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    columbia, sc
    Posts
    48

    black
    2001 camaro z28

    The goal is at least 400 hp at the wheels N/A with the complete exhaust, cam, and tune (will purchase heads if needed). I want to be able to put it to the ground though. The car will serve as a 90% street car at least. I have a Buick Grand National that serves as my drag strip terror. If I could get a high 11 second run out of it I would be very pleased. Would a 3500 stall and a 230/230 cam with the exhaust get me there? I know that I would probably need gears as well (currently have 3.23). Thank you and please send me any suggestions that would help me meet my goals!

  6. #6
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by cool87gn
    The goal is at least 400 hp at the wheels N/A with the complete exhaust, cam, and tune (will purchase heads if needed). I want to be able to put it to the ground though. The car will serve as a 90% street car at least. I have a Buick Grand National that serves as my drag strip terror. If I could get a high 11 second run out of it I would be very pleased. Would a 3500 stall and a 230/230 cam with the exhaust get me there? I know that I would probably need gears as well (currently have 3.23). Thank you and please send me any suggestions that would help me meet my goals!
    with a 224/224 cam which is small/midsize nowadays and with headers, catless y pipe, ls6 intake, volant cai and tuning i made 379 rwhp.
    i have a tci streetfighter 3000 rpm stall.
    if i could hook, i would be in the 11s.
    look at my sig for times.

    for a daily driver car, you dont really want to go past 228/228 cam wise and a 3500 stall with all the rest of the bolt ons will put you close to 400 rwhp.
    even if you dont hit 400, the 228 with a 3500 stall will get you into 11s if you hook.


    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    12.06@112.44

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    FlowerMound, Tx
    Age
    32
    Posts
    176

    Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

    Not to try and jack this guys thread with my question, but with my 232/236 cam what would be the best stall for mine, would a 3500 be to much?--Tony

  8. #8
    member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    n/w chicago
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,933

    black
    2000 nhra edition formula

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonys99RamAir
    Not to try and jack this guys thread with my question, but with my 232/236 cam what would be the best stall for mine, would a 3500 be to much?--Tony
    you could go bigger truthfully

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    532

    Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

    would the 3500RPM stall make a stock 4L60E annoying to drive during rush-hour?

    right now, my stock a4 is kind of a pain during rush-hour, because when I try to go like 10mph, the car won't shift into 2nd for a while, like it's waiting for the revs to come up... then it still shifts hard into second... that's why I typically wait for the car in front of me to leave a big gap, so I can accelerate a little faster than normal so the 1st-2nd shift feels smoother... I don't know if the convertor would even affect that aspect...

    I do know that at the track, I wasn't really able to powerbrake past about 1800RPM or so without car rolling forward...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    FlowerMound, Tx
    Age
    32
    Posts
    176

    Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula
    you could go bigger truthfully
    I know I could, but is it a good idea on a daily driver?--Tony

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    columbia, sc
    Posts
    48

    black
    2001 camaro z28

    What else?

    Would I need a shift kit and transmission cooler? Any recommendations?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    532

    Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

    I could have sworn our cars already had tranny coolers...

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    columbia, sc
    Posts
    48

    black
    2001 camaro z28

    Tranny Cooler...

    Considering I have the 2001 Camaro B4C I should be good. My bad, then I need a shift kit with the TC and I will be good in that area.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    30
    Posts
    219

    Black
    2000 Camaro SS

    You will need to get a tranny cooler.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    532

    Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

    do we have power steering coolers, or what? I know we have a bunch of extra coolant lines going up front... I haven't taken a really good look but I'd swear it was a tranny cooler...

  16. #16
    Junior Member MNR-0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    80

    BLACK
    2004 Monaro

    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    would the 3500RPM stall make a stock 4L60E annoying to drive during rush-hour?

    right now, my stock a4 is kind of a pain during rush-hour, because when I try to go like 10mph, the car won't shift into 2nd for a while, like it's waiting for the revs to come up... then it still shifts hard into second... that's why I typically wait for the car in front of me to leave a big gap, so I can accelerate a little faster than normal so the 1st-2nd shift feels smoother... I don't know if the convertor would even affect that aspect...

    I do know that at the track, I wasn't really able to powerbrake past about 1800RPM or so without car rolling forward...
    Sounds like a tuning problem with the tranny cal. A converter will soften up the part throttle shifts significantly.

  17. #17
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,746

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    I ran a 3200 stall on my DD for years. No issues. I currently run a 3600 and want more.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

    666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

    Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

    Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    532

    Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

    does a higher-stall converter make rush-hour smoother, or rougher?

  19. #19
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,746

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    I would say smoother.

  20. #20
    to know what stall you need find out what rpm powerband the camshaft has. what rpm range does the cam make the most power at. say from 3300-6500 then you would want a 3500 stall. easy as that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. stall doesnt...stall
    By JacobLS1 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 07:41 PM
  2. Question: A little Stall help? anyone?
    By Rikki_SeVeN in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM
  3. right stall for me
    By mr_r0bert0 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
  4. to stall or not to stall that is the question
    By Bandit1 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 08:26 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •