Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What size stall should I get......

This is a discussion on What size stall should I get...... within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Also, lots of new folks think you have to rev the motor to the stall speed to get the car ...

Silver
    1998 TA Vert

Also, lots of new folks think you have to rev the motor to the stall speed to get the car moving, which is not the case. The car with a stall will act "normal" for the most part. It's more like you can dump the clutch at a certain RPM at any time under full throttle. So if your stall speed is 3500 imagine driving along in a stick...then mashing the gas and @ 3500 RPM you pop the clutch. The cool thing is prior to that everything is normal...you just gotta add a tranny cooler.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by derck_mullin View Post
    Also, lots of new folks think you have to rev the motor to the stall speed to get the car moving, which is not the case. The car with a stall will act "normal" for the most part. It's more like you can dump the clutch at a certain RPM at any time under full throttle. So if your stall speed is 3500 imagine driving along in a stick...then mashing the gas and @ 3500 RPM you pop the clutch. The cool thing is prior to that everything is normal...you just gotta add a tranny cooler.
    That's a good explanation...I don't even notice my 3600 stall anymore...really after the 1st week or so.

white

Quote Originally Posted by derck_mullin View Post
    does anybody know how many rpms are the stock ones???

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TOMASINO View Post
    does anybody know how many rpms are the stock ones???
    If I remember correctly, I believe the stock convertor is 1800.

Awaiting Activation

White
    2000 Trans Am

i put a TCI 3k stall on my bolt on car and mann did it turn into a different car..traction is deffinitly a problem now, my car was sick the way it would hook before the stall on the same 275 nitto extreme drag or my 275 mickeys that it sits on now..def. going to have to do some suspension work like lca's and panhard bar..maybe softer shocks and springs. I'd soon rather have not put the stall in and ran on my stock one again..ah hell ill just put slicks on it

white

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    If I remember correctly, I believe the stock convertor is 1800.
    thing is my converter wont lock up anymore so is time 2 change it, i ordered super stock 3200 from yank for my stock t/a i hope it works fine for street driving

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Why not just rebuild the one you have?

U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

thing is my converter wont lock up anymore so is time 2 change it, i ordered super stock 3200 from yank for my stock t/a i hope it works fine for street driving
    It will. I run a Yank 3600 on my car and it drives fine on the street. Just remember to install a tranny cooler for the added heat.

white

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Why not just rebuild the one you have?
    rebuild the tranny?? mechanic said transmission is fine just the converter got messed up (clutches) all i need to do is replace the converter but since im not puttin a stock back in, better 2 put a performance one rite???? since im not good at this, mechanic recommended this stall for my stock car

white

Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    It will. I run a Yank 3600 on my car and it drives fine on the street. Just remember to install a tranny cooler for the added heat.
    yea thanks i got one also...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

rebuild the tranny?? mechanic said transmission is fine just the converter got messed up (clutches) all i need to do is replace the converter but since im not puttin a stock back in, better 2 put a performance one rite???? since im not good at this, mechanic recommended this stall for my stock car
    Oh, i thought you had a performance converter already. I was saying to rebuild the performance converter and just replace the clutches...my bad.

You can go bigger if you wish, just needs a tune to get everything you want to get out of it.

im going to do a converter also im not sure if its going to be a yank 3200 or 3600 when you get it in post up how you like the 3200 if you can. thanks

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by m1a2d3 View Post
    im going to do a converter also im not sure if its going to be a yank 3200 or 3600 when you get it in post up how you like the 3200 if you can. thanks
    I can tell you, I have a 3,000 in mine and wish I would have just gone with a 3,600 to start with.....next year I'm going to put a bigger one in it

it just seems like when you get into it on the street 3600rpm's is alot to flash to . i kow it will be better on the track.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

The flash is almost instant. Don't worry about that. If you get a 3600 and a tune, you will be fine...trust me. I am going from a 3600 to a 4000 (new stall)

hugger orange

it just seems like when you get into it on the street 3600rpm's is alot to flash to . i kow it will be better on the track.
    mash it on the street and you will probably have traction problems, but roll onto the throttle and you will really like it

white

Oh, i thought you had a performance converter already. I was saying to rebuild the performance converter and just replace the clutches...my bad.

You can go bigger if you wish, just needs a tune to get everything you want to get out of it.
    really u think??? even if my car is all stock now, im not plannin to put cams, maybe just the gears do u think 3200 and 3600 will make a lots of difference???

white

sure but i tell ya, not to much defference in price either lol well im gonna try the 3200 for now i let u know in 2 weeks

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I only have long tubes, 3" ORY, exhaust, ls6 intake and i had the 3600. I was happy, then even happier after I got it tuned for the stall.

I won't try and convince you anymore...it's up to you.

white

I only have long tubes, 3" ORY, exhaust, ls6 intake and i had the 3600. I was happy, then even happier after I got it tuned for the stall.

I won't try and convince you anymore...it's up to you.
    thanks for the help...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information