what kind of fluid for my tranny and how much?

This is a discussion on what kind of fluid for my tranny and how much? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; 2000 ls1 with stock tranny they just replace the torque converter and i need to buy fluid but i dunno ...

white

what kind of fluid for my tranny and how much?

2000 ls1 with stock tranny they just replace the torque converter and i need to buy fluid but i dunno how much?? and what kind?? thanks!!!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well if they dropped the pan you will need like 10-12 quarts, depends on what torque converter they used.

You won't need as much if they just replaced the converter. I can't remember off hand.

You need to get dexron III and you can find it at autozone, advance auto etc. I believe I got Castrol which is in a black bottle. Read the bottle and it should say something like "use in GM vehicles before 2005" Buy it in bulk if you can, it's cheaper.

white

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Well if they dropped the pan you will need like 10-12 quarts, depends on what torque converter they used.

You won't need as much if they just replaced the converter. I can't remember off hand.

You need to get dexron III and you can find it at autozone, advance auto etc. I believe I got Castrol which is in a black bottle. Read the bottle and it should say something like "use in GM vehicles before 2005" Buy it in bulk if you can, it's cheaper.
    is that the better one?? i mean i dont care if is high

black
    02 vette vert

even if they just replaced the torque converter i think you'd be foolish not to drop the pan and replace the filter as well as draining the rest of the fluid.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    even if they just replaced the torque converter i think you'd be foolish not to drop the pan and replace the filter as well as draining the rest of the fluid.

I need more details. Does he actually have the car? If so, wouldn't of they sent him off with a full flush, new fluid, new pan gasket. I'm a bit confused.

You have to tell us everything so we can make an informed decision

white

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    exactly new filter and new fluid

white

I need more details. Does he actually have the car? If so, wouldn't of they sent him off with a full flush, new fluid, new pan gasket. I'm a bit confused.

You have to tell us everything so we can make an informed decision
    they dropped the pan and drain the fluid also should i buy over 10 quarts??

should i buy synthetic or regular?? thanks for the help
    Last edited by TOMASINO; 07-03-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

When i dropped my pan and put in a new converter I put back in around 10 quarts. I can't remember the exact amount. If there is no fluid in the transmission or converter. Just start with 8 and keep checking it till the car is hot, don't drive it, keep checking it till it's exactly on the full line "when hot". Pull the e-brake and run it through the gears slowly and slowly start adding fluid after the initial 8 quarts. This i what I did, and although I am pretty sure it's the correct way, i don't know for sure. My car is running great though.... I didn't use synthetic. I've heard it can keep temperature down, but I honestly don't know if that is true or not. Try a search and you should find more info, but this should be all you need.

white

When i dropped my pan and put in a new converter I put back in around 10 quarts. I can't remember the exact amount. If there is no fluid in the transmission or converter. Just start with 8 and keep checking it till the car is hot, don't drive it, keep checking it till it's exactly on the full line "when hot". I didn't use synthetic. I've heard it can keep temperature down, but I honestly don't know if that is true or not. Try a search.
    thanks bud

Thread Information