What exactly is a TransBrake Switch?

This is a discussion on What exactly is a TransBrake Switch? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Hi there, I am pretty new to these forums and have been looking around for a few days now. I ...

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

What exactly is a TransBrake Switch?

Hi there,
    I am pretty new to these forums and have been looking around for a few days now. I am looking for and will be purchasing an 02 WS6 AUTO if i can find one within the next couple of months.

I am searching for upgrades to put me in the low 12 high 11 mark and these forums have really been a huge help..

Anyhow, I was looking around on Thunder Racing and noticed something called a TransBrake Switch. What exactly is this and how is it used?

What I think it is, is sort of a way for Auto's to do a launch the way a manual does (pop the clutch) instead of doing a neutral drop.... I'm guessing while the momentary switch is pushed, the tranny is stopped from spinning the driveshaft which then allows you to rev your engine up to optimal rpm and then the switch is released which puts power back to the wheels which allows for a launch similar to a manual.. Am I totally off??? I know neutral dropping is bad for an auto and this would be great if what I stated exists LOL I know it is a long shot but I'm new to this so take it easy on me ...

Thanx,
    Runasoft
    Last edited by runasoft; 11-17-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

By The way, I did do a search of the forums and around google and found really nothing that answered my question. I'm not a total newbie when it comes to cars but then again, I'm not a guru.. I hadn't heard of a transbrake switch and this is why I was wondering what one is and how is it used.

Thanx,
    Runasoft

Ripa
    This is from ls1tech

A transbrake uses an external solenoid on the valvebody to engage 1st and reverse at the same time. It locks the transmission. You are then free to load the motor against the converter without any power transmission to the wheels. It builds ALOT of heat in the trans/converter, so not intended for more than a second or two when staged.

You release the button and the solenoid releases reverse, and WEEEEEEEE

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ripa
    This is from ls1tech
    Cool, pretty much what i stated in my first post So basically a neutral drop but safer right? That's exactly what I wanted to hear and was hoping for. Hopefully I can get my WS6 pretty soon. I will definetly be spending about 6G's on the tranny (upgrade, shift kit, stall), a few motor upgrades (headers, lid, pulley) and some new 3.73 gears when i get the car Then later on will hopefully buy an SST turbo for it. Hoping to get it in the mid 11's so we'll see. I haven't even got the damn car yet but i have the means.. just looking for one

- Runasoft

Ripa
    Technically It's not a neutral. Trans brake just locks the transmission in a way that motor can not turn it or wheels either. So car must be stand still. Engine can rev up only to stall speed of convertter.

Stock 4L60E can not withstand many high stalled launches like that.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ripa
    Technically It's not a neutral. Trans brake just locks the transmission in a way that motor can not turn it or wheels either. So car must be stand still. Engine can rev up only to stall speed of convertter.

Stock 4L60E can not withstand many high stalled launches like that.
    I know that technically it's not a neutral drop, I was simply comparing it to one as you are reving to a certain RPM for a hard launch. I wouldn't dream of doing this to a stock 4L60E. In my previous post I stated I was going to spend about $6,000.00 on the tranny, engine and gears.

Would I shorten the life of the tranny even if it's upgraded and I used the transbrake stall often? I don't just mean the shift kit and stall.. I want to upgrade the tranny, maybe harden the internals or buy high performance parts for it. I know it depends on horespower and torque but let's say for a car with 400HP and 420TQ.

- Runasoft

Thread Information