What is the best auto tranny builder

This is a discussion on What is the best auto tranny builder within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; So I need a good strong tranny. I have an 02 transam let's say 420 hp. What'll Hold out good?...

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

What is the best auto tranny builder

So I need a good strong tranny. I have an 02 transam let's say 420 hp. What'll Hold out good?

White
    2001 Z28

A buddy of mine ordered his trans through Monster transmissions and they seem to be pretty strong if i have to replace my trans i will def go through them to get mine

White
    2002 trans-am

Yeah see I have a pb lvl2 but I had a small problem. Idk if u have to tune for the torque converter and valve bodies. Idk how is circle d?

Red
    2001 WS6

RPM transmission is where i went.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 01A4Z28 View Post
    A buddy of mine ordered his trans through Monster transmissions and they seem to be pretty strong if i have to replace my trans i will def go through them to get mine
    lol here. I would sugest other wise. Blowed up sir!!!

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

So that tells part of the storey and here is the rest.
    I got yet another replacement Mega monster Level 2 from them (number 3) and went to thier shop and picked it up. The guy who brought it ou said they just finished running it with my converter on it and that they drained it so all I would have to do is install it as it sat with converter on it and fill it up. As the other post said I change pans to get it under the car. Since the pan I use to get it under the car was already on it when I got it back from them I did as they said and installed the trans COMPLEATELEY in the car and started to swap the pans. As I removed the stock style pan I realized that the damn thing had zero fluid anywhere in the pan. LOL Anyone who has ever messed around with auto transmissions knows after they have been filled and run, and then drained, they will leak for 2 life times out of the converter and valve body so there should have been something. I had to pull it back out of the car and pull the converter because the converter was actually dry. If I would have fired that thing up I would have been on #4.
    Here are some pics of #2. Keep in mind I don't race it is purley a street car with street tires. They let me keep the parts that failed out of it.

White
    2002 trans-am

So perform built tranny is up one monster zero. What about circle d

White
    2001 Z28

i retract previous statement, how much power were you making to do that just curious?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

First time was stock hp with a few bolt on's and right now my 383 is very mild due to an F' up by me. It has a cast crank so I told Lloyd Elliot (head and cam guy) to go easy on the fly wheel power so it should be under 400hp and under 425 ftlb torque. To many cases of people breaking them at around 450hp and 6500+ rpms. I will say this... I am a freakin magnet for F ups even when I tell them what I want like with my engine. Told my father I wanted forged bottom end but even though I'm almost 34 years old my father decided with out telling me to go with cast since all of his old school stuff used cast on the street and it was just fine lol. Little did he know it was actually nodular iron stuff and not cast. Lesson learned don't ask Dad to help find a builder to build the next one. Sometimes I just want to put my head in the sand and hide.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I would recommend Finish Line Transmissions (FLT). They have a good following and specialize in 4L60/65 and 4L80 upgrades.

I will be going with them myself this spring.
    Nick

2002 Trans Am WS6 - 520rwhp
    D1SC @ 10lbs | FLT Level V - SS3600 - ARH 1 3/4" LTs w/ Catted Y-pipe - Corsa - Koni 4/3's - UMI Adj. LCAs and Brackets - UMI 3 Pt. SFC's - UMI PHB - UMI STB - TTM's (17X9, 17X10.5) - M/T ET Streets

Judgeing for the picture , the bluing of the pinion would be an indicator that the planet went without lube...I'd check your cooler..with the hp your running a stocker should hold. Also I'd check to see what your total end play was running, some times these units get a little sloppy in the rear,and the rear output shaft hits the front input shaft...Look in the end of your input drum and remove the oil seal and look at the shaft.... has the output shaft hit it? also what are you 60 footing? Hope this helps Dave

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Rock-On View Post
    Judgeing for the picture , the bluing of the pinion would be an indicator that the planet went without lube...I'd check your cooler..with the hp your running a stocker should hold. Also I'd check to see what your total end play was running, some times these units get a little sloppy in the rear,and the rear output shaft hits the front input shaft...Look in the end of your input drum and remove the oil seal and look at the shaft.... has the output shaft hit it? also what are you 60 footing? Hope this helps Dave
    Yea I have no care to do all that but I appreciate the input. I have had to learn more about an auto transmission than I ever wanted to know. I paid Monstertransmission to build the thing and they will keep doing it untill they buy me someone elses trans just to get rid of me lol. They are doing something wrong and you may be on to it there. That race way exploded cruising at 45mph just before 4 gear lockup. They kept telling me I neutral dropped it. I told them I'm 33 years old and paid for the trans with my own hard earned money...Why in the f**k would I neutral drop it. They are a bunch of tards.

sunburst orange
    2002 camaro ss

i've had nothing good to say about monster so i will leave it at that, i was told that transmission for dummies manual seemed to be better than monstor if you were to read it at least you and monster would be on the same page according to my sources. i'm not saying just saying

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst02 View Post
    i've had nothing good to say about monster so i will leave it at that, i was told that transmission for dummies manual seemed to be better than monstor if you were to read it at least you and monster would be on the same page according to my sources. i'm not saying just saying
    lol yea, I hate to bash a buiness but I expect when there is a problem for them to help me fix it not just say oh its on your end not ours. It especially ticks me off when I take the time to take it to them 3 times both in the car and out of the car that they didn't even open it up to take a look and make sure. they just swaped electronics and use a manual controller on it to shift it. Well the manual controller wont try to protect it when there is a problem the PCM will. And no they never scanned it to see what it was doing I had to pay to have that done by GM and the problem is with the LT1 PCM is trans problems wont always leave a code in the PCM and will only show up when it happens and if it does not continue then there is nothing to look at as I found out when GM put a Tech II on it and found nothing. I have since bought a scanner that will data log and freeze frame when a DTC or trans code happens. Only way to tell.

So i take it they didn't buy you someone elses transmission??? Nor did they fix it??? wow thats messed up!! I though you were going to make em,what happened??/ Dave

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

They ended up rebuilding it again and finding a way to mess that up as well plus made me pay 400 prorated warrenty work pluss I was gona have them put 5 pinion plants in it. Long storey short, They rebuilt it then I went and got it, they said they just got done testing it with My converter on it so no need to fill the converter. I got it home put in the car and found out it had not been run and was bone dry in the case so the converter was dry as well. Had to pull it back out and fill the converter. Got a call from the owner the next day who said they messed up again and that it was missing the upgraded plants so he refunded me 100 of the 500 I spent due to it being out of warrenty and the own said he would build another one right now for me but I was moving a week latter and had no time to deal with it so if this one goes boom I have 1 more rebuild with what should be no cost to me. lol And thats the short version. I have spent more than 500 bucks in fluid and filters on this thing between all the blow ups and problems. I'm vested now LOL.

Thread Information