Dark Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Exclamation Want to Upgrade from a 4l60e if needed???

So I lost 3rd and 4th gear in my 4l60e, have no idea what happen, just seems to be in neutral when it trys to shift to what is supposed to be 3rd gear, anyone know why?? I dont know much about them...

Heres another question, if my transmission is bad what would be a good recommendation on a transmission to buy thats more for performance and good for street??? Not planning on racing at the strip but I want some solid performance, i'm making like 400 hps....

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Might be the 3/4 clutch is not applying. Take it back and see whats going on. or scan it.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

These shops if they actually know what they are doing can build you a good trans. you need a beast sunshell, corvette servo and solenoids, preformance clutch pack, and good preformance bands. Most places that build these things will rework the valve body to thier own custom way but you can most of the time choose whether you want a mild medium, or hard shift kit in it. it should hold 400 at the fly wheel all day long.
    Preformabuilt can build it for you but man you already have cash wrapped up in this trans make them fix it and while thay have it apart have them throw those parts in there.

Silver
    88 Camaro

Bummer, sounds like it is definitely internal. Did you pull the pan to see if there is metal?

Dark Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

No i havent had time to check it.. I was just seeing if anyone had as ever had similar issues...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah its your 3/4 clutch pack. Its a common failure point for the 4L60E. But good news is that there are some good upgrades out there for that.

Dark Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Well i had a high performance rebuild kit put in it when it went out the first time and a shift kit.. Wouldnt there have been good clutches with that kit? Its only been 2500 miles since the rebuild, and i've been babieing it since its new, but now it goes out; I dont understand why... I feel like i should just buy a new one from performabuilt transmissions.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well if was put together well with good parts then there is possible something wrong with one the hard parts that caused the early failure of the 3/4 clutch. Shit happens. It could be a bad valve body or input housing. Or maybe even a cut seal that happened during assembly. If you can get the builder to take a second look at the trans and fix it for free then go for it. If you don't trust him, then order up a performabuilt. They'll stand behind there transmissions.

Dark Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Ok, See the guy sad he would stand behind his rebuild, but i garrentee he wont now, its hasnt even been a year, and not even 2500 miles now that i think about it.... Funny how that works aint it... I've heard alot about performabuilt transmissions, sounds like they have a really good reputation?! Are they a Gm Performance Builder?

Thread Information