Thread: vibration

Chameleon Blue-Green
    1998 Trans am

vibration

Hey guys,

I have a 1998 Trans am. The car has about 140,000 miles on it. A couple of months ago I had several things worked on at once with it. I had one guy replace the ac compressor, knock sensor, and a few hoses. At the same time the car had a rebuilt transmission put in it (transmission had already failed so we trailered it between shops). So I have the car back now and it has a horrible vibration in it. I have put about 1000 miles on the car while trying to track this vibration down. The car vibrates real bad at any highway speed. However, it has to be in the transmission or engine because I can put the car in park, rev it up; and the vibration is there from 2000 rpm and up. The higher up in rpm you go, the more violent the vibration is. I’m trying to troubleshoot for the cheapest and easiest thing to replace first. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to approach this problem next? …..I really hope its not in the transmission…….

Thanks,

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm gonna move this to the tranny area. Wish I could help you. I was thinking tranny mount until you said it does it in park. I'm wondering if it's converter or flywheel related now?? Maybe someone in there can give you some direction. Definitely sounds tranny related though.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I was gonna suggest driveshaft out of balance until you said in park. I wonder if your motor mounts or tranny mount is in need of being replaced.

Chameleon Blue-Green
    1998 Trans am

thanks for the advice guys I'll started on it

NBM
    1998 Z-28

I'd check the motor mounts, I've seen 1 converter out of balance before, but that seems pretty rare

Chameleon Blue-Green
    1998 Trans am

Thanks man so what do look for when looking at the motor mounts?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

torn, are they stock? I would have suggested the tranny mount but since it is stopped check to see if they are busted up.

Maroon
    1994 GMC

Smile Flex plate

I have had this happen on several cars after tranny replacment and it was the flex plate had gotten cracked during installation. It has to be in the tranny area just by the process of elimination. If it did not started till after the tranny replace it has to be in that area. A cracked flex plate will often make a popping noise or a tinny sound when running. It can also cause a starter to act funny when starting the car. I have seen incorrect flex plates installed for the engine. Some engines are internally balanced and others are externally balanced. Converters are also balanced so that could be the source. The tranny shop could have put the incorrect one in, We all make mistakes but it does not make us incompetent.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

It has to be the converter or the flex plate. Take it back. tell them to check that they didn't reinstall the coverter on a cracked flex or install an out of ballance converter. Make it there problem.

Thread Information