Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Valve body check ball in trans pan

I decided to change the fluid and filter on my wife's 04 GTO with a 4L60E auto trans. We did not buy it new but it was a one owner vehicle and well cared for. It has 62k on it now and the fluid was not burnt but not pink anymore. When I took the pan down I noticed a small BB on the square magnet in the pan. I have worked on transmissions before "Mopar 727 Torqueflite" so I know what a check ball is but I have never seen one in a running transmission before. Has anyone ever seen this before ? I believe this is the first service for this vehicle and I think it justfound its way in during assembly. I do not think an electronic trans would run correctly ant not throw a code if it were missing a check ball. They hold pressure in a channel with a pressure spring, it would have to throw a code, right ?
    I hope this was just an extra one and I got lucky, But ????
    Car shifts great, no issues.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Wow! That would certainly freak me out. If all is running well, I guess no need to worry.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Wow! That would certainly freak me out. If all is running well, I guess no need to worry.
    I almost shit my pants when I saw it. I thought it was a metal chip with goop on it but when I picked it up and wiped it off I just said "SHIT"
    I put the filter in after cleaning the valve body and checking the linkage and wiring. Put it back together and put 5 qts Dex III in warmed it up and she ran like a raped ape. Must have been dropped in at the factory.

Red
    1998 Firebird

Kind of an older thread I know, but I just wanted to clarify that the transmission would not necessarily throw a code with a missing checkball. As a matter of fact, not all checkballs are "necessary" for for full functionality. If you noticed any abnormally firm shifts that could very well be the culprit, as many of them are there to cushion the apply of certain components such as the band, reverse clutches, etc.

Glad everything worked out alright though!

Thread Information