Trouble getting shifter out of park

This is a discussion on Trouble getting shifter out of park within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; I had a problem getting my shifter out of park..After hitting it hard for a couple weeks to get it ...

homosassa florida

1995 Camaro Z28

Smile Trouble getting shifter out of park

I had a problem getting my shifter out of park..After hitting it hard for a couple weeks to get it to go into neutral..I took it to the local Chevy Dealer and told them I thought it had a problem with the solenoid...I left the car for repair..
    I called to get the price and was told they did a diagnostic for $80 dollars
    which I had to pay along with the part and labor..Total bill $262.50....
    I complained to the dealer and they reduced it to $234.00...
    I wish I could find a local garage here in Homosassa Florida so I could save the Diagnostic Fee...I told the man I wanted to get some other work done in a couple I'm a senior and I needed my S. S. check to get the work done..They said I had to pay a Diagnostic Fee everytime I came in..even
    if it was a couple weeks later...Anyone knowing of a mechanic in Homosassa me at I'm a lady..Maybe if I were a man...I could have talked my way out of the fee..Thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Not sure about that one. I think I would hit the roof if they wanted to do a diagnostic check for a shifter problem. Have you called any other dealerships to see if they have a different policy? A dealership is probably the worst place to try and get work done unless it's a warranty item but that's just my opinion. They try to take you for as much money as possible just like the salesmen do.
    I would love to look at the base of these shifters to see if they're similar to the GTP's. My wifes old GTP did the same thing you're talking about and I pulled the shifter and bent the lockout pin so it wouldn't lock the shifter out. I haven't had the console out of this car to see if it has the same type of lockout on it. Does the handle on your shifter feel loose? It could be that when you press the button to release it the loose shifter might not let the button actuate the lockout pin.
    Try posting in the southern section for the guys in florida and maybe someone will be able to help you out.

Thread Information