Thread: Trasnmissoon

Silver
    1997 Firebird

Trasnmissoon

I have a 97 V6 firebird and the transmission seems to be getting stuck in 3rd at random times and i have to manually shift it down to 1st then back to drive and its fine. Anyone know what it could be? Anyone help would be great, Thanks

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

when mine did that my planetary exploded a few weeks later while I was cruising at 45. There is a 3/2 shift solinoid that could be causing that. If I remember you can get to through the pan and change it but it could be something else. How many miles are on it?

Silver
    1997 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    when mine did that my planetary exploded a few weeks later while I was cruising at 45. There is a 3/2 shift solinoid that could be causing that. If I remember you can get to through the pan and change it but it could be something else. How many miles are on it?
    89,000 miles, car sat for a couple years because it was in an accident, not sure if that matter but sitting seemed to cause a few engine problems.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Um... you can replace those solinoids but it is a shot in the dark because it could be something else just as easy. Some trans shops have boxes that can check to make sure the PCM is telling the solinoid to activate and deactivate when it should. This rules out any PCM or sensor related problems. If your good with electrical you can make one and tap into the trans harness. I would have it scanned to see if there is anything. You have to have someone that can scan the transmission side of the PCM which most places don't have the abillity to do but they tell you they can and then tell you that you need a full rebuild just because they are to damn lazzy to figure it out.

Thread Information