Transmission Vent Line

This is a discussion on Transmission Vent Line within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Working on the car this evening (no, I did not watch the game) I noticed this little bugger hiding on ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Transmission Vent Line

Working on the car this evening (no, I did not watch the game) I noticed this little bugger hiding on top of my transmission. It's attached to the vent line that is clipped to the torque arm. I checked my manual and it does not appear that it is supposed to be attached to anything, but I want to make sure. Is this right? Also, what the heck does it do as the end of the vent line is open? Doesn't make sense to me.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Could be a one way check valve. Let pressure out but no raw air back in. I didn't have anything hooked up to my 97. Just the solid pipe

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Could be a one way check valve. Let pressure out but no raw air back in. I didn't have anything hooked up to my 97. Just the solid pipe
    Yes, that is what that is.

OP. I would pull it Jeff and see if it's still funtional they are very cheap to replace if needed. But don't use compressed air on it as this will ruin the tiny diapham(sp) inside. I have to admit I never seen one used in that manner b4. Usually where that valve is, there is either just an open tube or a plastic breather with like a loose fitting cap on it.. However I can see where that valve may have been used to keep out water from deep puddles.. Good in theory but not what the valve was designed for..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What I don't understand is that the valve is T'ed into the vent line. One end of the line attaches to the transmission and the other goes down the tunnel. Seems like the open end of the hose would always be venting.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    What I don't understand is that the valve is T'ed into the vent line. One end of the line attaches to the transmission and the other goes down the tunnel. Seems like the open end of the hose would always be venting.
    Yeah I,m not sure what's going on there. If I had to guess unless you bought her new it looks to me as if someone was monkeying around under there (prior owner).. Those mini valves are usually used under the hood as part of an engines vac system.. It's quite possible too someone used it as a make shift cap.. Not knowing or thinking about it being a "oneway" valve.. But the "T" thing is a total head scratcher here..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Not sure of its function but it looks normal.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I was going to scan and post the exact same page out of my service manual... but you beat me to it. It certainly looks odd hanging there, but I agree from the manual that is how it is supposed to be. I thought for sure something had been disconnected when I spotted it last night.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Wink

my service manual is online so its a couple quick mouse clicks to post it up

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Not sure of its function but it looks normal.
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I was going to scan and post the exact same page out of my service manual... but you beat me to it. It certainly looks odd hanging there, but I agree from the manual that is how it is supposed to be. I thought for sure something had been disconnected when I spotted it last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    my service manual is online so its a couple quick mouse clicks to post it up
    Wow I would have never guessed that was normal. Learn something new everyday. Ps. my service manual does'nt cover this area.
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-09-2010 at 04:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

When I swapped trannys and filled the new one it vented air out along with some fluid checked it after driving it a little and it's all cleared out. I thought I had a leak when I was doing this in the garage until I did some reserch.

Thread Information