Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

transmission slipping II

This is a discussion on transmission slipping II within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Thanks for the advice. I've got the tranny but still have to get the converter. I'm putting it in myself. ...

Black
    99 Trans Am

Thanks for the advice. I've got the tranny but still have to get the converter. I'm putting it in myself. The builder suggested a Dacco converter. Any experience with those? I'm guessing I can just use compressed air on the transmission lines from the radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by redss70396 View Post
    I guess everyone has there story - I just know that I have a TCI Streetfighter Turbo 400 with TCI 3,000 stall behind my 496 Chevelle making 602 flywheel hp and 601 foot #s torque. Trans has operated flawlessly for 5+ years with Mobil Syn.Fluid. Not even a fluid or filter change in that time. Every time this car starts it has the living hell run out of it - no babying it ever -a flawless machine -. .
    Lucky you. I bought one of those 400 turbo streetfighters from TCI back in 89 for my chevelle. I had nothing but issues with it. As a matter of fact TCI treated me much like Maverick describes above in his post.
    With a mild motor then. Currently at 640 flywheel HP I gave up on the TCI. The 1-2 shift was hit or miss, going to neutral at full throttle. Had the trans out of the car 12 times, diagnosing things, replacing parts, all at TCI's suggestions. Got pretty quick at tranny swapping though
    They wouldn't warranty a damn thing. It was blowing right through the clutches in the front drum. Yank the wheels, go for second and then act like neutral and fall on it's face, bang the limiter until I let out, then it would grab and go.
    I limped it around for a few years before I got sick of it.
    I finally built my own 400 from the original trans that came out of the car, stuffed it with good parts and it's worked flawless ever since.
    I have nothing to do with TCI anymore. I keep the trans on the shop floor with it's big TCI sticker on the bellhousing as a reminder

Quote Originally Posted by 79Firebird_99TA View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I've got the tranny but still have to get the converter. I'm putting it in myself. The builder suggested a Dacco converter. Any experience with those? I'm guessing I can just use compressed air on the transmission lines from the radiator?
    Yes you can. Several stores also sell aerosol cans with a cleaner that connects to your lines specifically for trannsmission line and coolers, and cleans them out as well.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Just an update and am curious about my transmission. I haven't replaced it yet. As a matter of fact, the TA sat for several weeks until last Saturday. We had a fair amount of snow in ATL and I had to drive 32 miles to work. I didn't want to drive the vette (fiberglass) in the snow. I didn't want to drive the Firebird as it can't even get traction in the rain much less the snow. So I said wth ... and took the TA. I've been driving it to and from work for the 4 days and it HAS NOT SLIPPED ONCE! The only difference is it's much colder than when it was slipping before. It only slipped like 4 times before - always on the highway and in the heat of the day. I also had changed the fluid and filter in the pan. It sounds like a heat related issue and or/ it took a few miles for the new fluid to propogate ....??

I have $1800 of tranny and converter in the shop and am in no hurry to swap it since it's running great. I still want to due to the performance upgrade that I'll get from it.....

Any thoughts. I wonder if the solenoid(s) are working good now since heat sensitivity could be an issue (being a coil)....??

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

My old Blazer did that for a while. Worked fine when it was cold, slipped when it warmed up. Didn't take long and it slipped all the time. Your trans is most likely on the way out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information