Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    99 Trans Am

transmission slipping II

What is the stock transmission in the `99 TA? The 4L60E? Mine started slipping.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 79Firebird_99TA View Post
    What is the stock transmission in the `99 TA? The 4L60E? Mine started slipping.
    That be the one if it's an auto..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

4l60e "N" series

Black
    99 Trans Am

Thanks. I drove it again today and it's slipping when climbing hills on the highway. It has 210k on it and the last time I had the transmission serviced was at 100k. I've never changed the filter ... which is what I will do next. Anything else it could be besides burned clutches ... such as valve body?

red
    99 camaro

210k ya say??? What mods you have and how did you drive it most of the time?

Black
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    210k ya say??? What mods you have and how did you drive it most of the time?
    No mods..... and drove it like a baby most of the time. Every now and then I'd get on it. The transmissions started shifting hard (like a shift kit) about 50k miles ago (1-2 shift). Gonna drop the pan and change the filter tomorrow and see what's what.

red
    99 camaro

No mods..... and drove it like a baby most of the time. Every now and then I'd get on it. The transmissions started shifting hard (like a shift kit) about 50k miles ago (1-2 shift). Gonna drop the pan and change the filter tomorrow and see what's what.
    Good idea, might wanna have the solenoids checked to make sure one isnt acting up or stopped up partially. This could cause the hard shifting too.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Well I dropped the pan a couple of days ago and thought all was good as I made the 33 mile drive to work yesterday morning without any slipping. However, I did slip after mile 17 coming home. Its always on the highway. I'm guessing its time for a transmission.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well I dropped the pan a couple of days ago and thought all was good as I made the 33 mile drive to work yesterday morning without any slipping. However, I did slip after mile 17 coming home. Its always on the highway. I'm guessing its time for a transmission.
    That would be my guess as well.. 200k is up there a bit.. Prolly just worn out really.. Looks like you got your money's worth out of it tho..

Black
    99 Trans Am

I've been burned in the past with bad transmission rebuilds - that those were on a Nissan Maximo... so bad I told the owner to turn down ANY work involving Nissans, "because you don't know what the hell you're doing!"

Anyhow, here's a 4l60e on ebay. What are the thoughts on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/G-M-T...Q5fAccessories

Black
    99 Trans Am

Check it ... that one was for a truck. What about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Race-...item20b356f88d

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Be careful - anybody can write up a list of what they say they do.If this place is within driving range then maybe.Isn't there a reliable builder near you ? I just had a terrible internet experiance with a rebuilt trans. After paying $1,899.00 for a level 3 trans I disassembled it only to find many parts missing. $500.00 later I am back on the road. You can forget about warranty if half way across the country. Add these figures up and I could have bought a Quality trans from B&M or TCI. It is much easier to deal with problems locally ! Or buy from a name brand company.Just my 2 cents--

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

What it comes to the 4l60e I have done it all

I have a 02 Z28, Full-built Level 10 trans, and I swap the 10 bolt for a moser 12 bolt I stuff that 12 bolt with 3.73 detorit true track posi and 33 spine axels, note On trans and high stall conveters, I had more 4L60e rebulit than the police acadmy movies, I first put in a BnM Shift kit, 3000 stall art carr conveter, trans blew, so I went to Ls1 motor sports(Aka quater mile performace) gave them 3000 bukes for a Level II rebult and keept the conveter, that trans blew again,(Everytime I blew a tranny was only in daily driveing I dont over rev my car or even took it to a track yet!!!) so I called them they went out of bussiness, then I turn to tci, every time it blew that had a story send it back you need new pump, send it back you need new billet coveter, and every time I send it back it cost my around 1500. , last chance I gave tci, his final exues was that I need gears the stock 10 blot an only 2.73s, so I had to save up for the 12 bolt, then I put the 12 bolt in, send the trans back to tci, 1500 more bucks, was driveing around for One year no problem then boom blew in my face at a stop light, Then when they cant sell no more part they tole me to piss off, Then I was considering puting in a m6, but i have knee issues, then I was looking at Gm high performace, noticed the Level 10 ad that they had called level 10 then, I told them my whole stroy, and they told me the reason I was blowing all thoese trans, is becuase of the dam computer, if you dont tune your computer for the higher shall conveter the pump might open a vaule when you may or may not need it open or close!!! also this place dont just have level 1,2,3 rebult trans , before you even send them anything they, give you a spec sheet to fill out, base on the mods you have done on the car, and any mods you plan on doing and what you plan on useing the car for and they bulilt you a custum tranny just for you also, I had a diablosport predator, I send it to them they program the tranny parts for me so I will have no more probelms, I had the tranny for 3 years now and its still bangs hard when its shifts, Tci sucks call level ten dude, I love my 4l60e and after 6 failed ones I can say that with my chin high up in the air!!
    Last edited by Rmaverickz28; 11-17-2010 at 04:37 PM.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Stock Ls1 longtube Slp Headers,Slp Y-pype, Flowmaster 80 series ,Level 10 Trans, Moser 12 blot 3.73s 33-spine axels tru-track posi, 335rwhp 345rwtq (STOLEN!!! 02/2011)

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I guess everyone has there story - I just know that I have a TCI Streetfighter Turbo 400 with TCI 3,000 stall behind my 496 Chevelle making 602 flywheel hp and 601 foot #s torque. Trans has operated flawlessly for 5+ years with Mobil Syn.Fluid. Not even a fluid or filter change in that time. Every time this car starts it has the living hell run out of it - no babying it ever -a flawless machine -. Before anyone ever thinks about a transmission rebuild on one of these computor controlled cars always talk to a Tuner first to see what all has to be done.Many of the builders install a mild shift kit in the trans which can cause problems without proper tunes.

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Turbo 400 has shorter gears and a manual vulebody apples to bannans my friend and mobil one is good but amsoil is better but mobil was is still a good syn,

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

True , Turbo 400 is very tough, but again only if it is built right. Any synthetic is good nowdays, But I have been running Mobil 1 since 1976 .I wasn't trying to sell anyone on the oil or the transmission company,just saying he needs to be careful about some of these sites-as you and I have learned !

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by redss70396 View Post
    True , Turbo 400 is very tough, but again only if it is built right. Any synthetic is good nowdays, But I have been running Mobil 1 since 1976 .I wasn't trying to sell anyone on the oil or the transmission company,just saying he needs to be careful about some of these sites-as you and I have learned !
    yeah for sure, but not all synthetic are the same, I used to me a die hard mobil 1 fan, let me tell you something if amsoil and Mobil step into the ring its like watching gary colemen vs. mike tyson!!

I not trying to sell anything either what whould I get out of it, just trying to keep all the ls guys out there sharp after all I hate to say this but the new ford 5.0, is a pain in the ass so stay on your toes, and show those ford guys how "hi tech" the tops of there enignes really are!!
    Last edited by Rmaverickz28; 11-18-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Good lord ... after reading those horror stories... I am a bit nervous. I did wind up going with the Coastal transmission. Hopefully it will just be plug and play ... I don't have any mods. Here's some of the specs:

36 month parts and labor warranty

Coastal Trans performance built pump ( Includes machined pump halfs to ensure flat surfaces.

cook case at 175 degrees , bell housing, and tail housing to restore a new aluminum finish. Prep case for assembly.

COASTAL TRANSMISSIONS PRO-STREET 4L60E/4L65E 450 HP LEVEL 1

Hardened pump rings

Modified Pump Assembly

Oversized Boost Valve

Set up to Precise Race Clearances

High Quality Overhaul Kit, Frictions and Bushings

Transgo hd-2 Transmissions Shift kit

Corvette 2nd gear Servo kit

Heavy duty sun gear shell “The Beast”

High Energy 2-4 Band

High Energy frictions

Teflon Pump Bushing

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Yo good luck with your tranny but I read smilar tranny ads, i really hope it works out for you, run amsoil super shift atf, you thanks me later well good luck with your new tranny , and the off chance you have problems , call level 10 good luck and god ls1 speed

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Be sure who ever you have install the trans does a pressurized flush of the cooling lines before the install. I flushed mine twice and caught the fluid with a white towel-you wouldn't believe what came out. Also, what are you doing as far as a new convertor? Most of these warranties are only if you get a new convertor from the builder-better ask.Decide now if you are doing any mods later as this is the time to up the stall.If no mods are planned a 2800 would really be an improvement - and install a trans cooler as well if $$$ allow. And yes to synthetic fluid as if you put in during the installation you will have 100% syn. fluid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information