black
    95 trans am

Transmission leak help!!!

hello I have a 4l60e in my trans am..after having it rebuilt by a shop over 2 and a half years ago and the with only 3600kms on it ..yes 3600kms it rarely driven in the summer only on nice days for 3 months on weekends and in storage the rest of the time..Every year when i take it out of storage..there is a leak under it and its low about 2 liters..the transmission shop has replaced the filler tube gasket,pan gasket and the actual pan itself!! They cannot find out what it is!! the strange thing is it only leaks when its in storage over the winter..I have owned this car for 11 years and have stored it on the ground floor every year and it had never leaked until I had it rebuilt! The shop told me they will be closing by spring so now I am forced to take my car out of storage adn have it towed there so the underside doesnt get salty or snowy or dirty so they can try for yet another time to find out..has anyone every come across this or anybody have any ideas? Any help would be very appreciated..the only other time it leaked was in the summer when i didnt drive it for 3 weeks I noticed 4 spot of tranny fluid on the driveway about the size of 4 quarters,I took it there and they cleaned it and couldnt find the leak?..I am so sorry for posting such a large post on this matter too! Thank you for taking the time to read my post

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well you don't drive it much so I'll take a stab @ it being MAYBE a dry rotted or hardening main pump seal and/or tail shaft seal..

Sitting too much can be bad for them too..

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I agree. Front main seal on the input shaft. Its common for rarely driven vehicles to develop leaks here. The seal dries out and then it leaks.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Have them check the servo housing area as well.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

where are the drops coming from? the pan?bellhousing?i bet its the linkage shaft seal.

black
    95 trans am

Transmission leak solved

THE GOOD NEWS IS.....they finally found the leak after 2 and a half years and with only 3600kms on the car...yes..its from a connector that sits just above the tranny pan lip on the passengerside where a harness plugs into it..there is supposed to be the seal..and it was ripped when it was put in originally...unfortunately it would only leak when the car sat for a long time and the fluid would drain back from the stall back into the pan....on the other hand.... THE BAD NEWS IS...the damn tow truck that towed the car even against the fact I told him I need a flat bed..wanted to try with a reg truck and damaged my front bumper..it now needs a new bumper and paint..its gonna cost the tow truck CAA $1594 for a new front bumper and paint..i'll get it done in may june when it comes out of storage...THANK YOU so much to everyone that helped me with all their advice

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Sounds like a simple fix on the trans. Too bad about your front bumper. You just cant convinve some people.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Back in 1995 my bud had a 94 firebird that we were cruising around in and a big rock fell off a county truck and went under the car and popped a hole in the oil pan. The flat bed that showed up to tow it was a good old boy with a weed eater against the back of the flatbed. He wenched the car up and as he did the curved handle from the weed eater poped throught the front nose. You just cant trust them to thier jobs sometimes.

black
    95 trans am

yes accidents happen but its unfortunate that I even told the guy He wont be able to do it and it needs a flatbed..but hey he learned the hardway..some people just dont want to listen and now its gonna cost him..I dont know what im gonna do on the other hand, there still are a few bumpers in gm warehoused in the USA my dealership in canada here told me but no emblems for the front bumper anywhere..I've tried everywhere on the net here but no luck I need a black 93-97 firebird/trans am bumper cover emblem..

Thread Information