Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Transmission goes to neutral.

Ok on my way to work today is when this problem started and it has just gotten worse throughout the day while i tryed taking it around to get diagnosed and now the car cant even be driven. If I just drive down the road then the transmission will just slip itself into neutral and will NOT go back into drive. I can shift through all gears included reverse and the transmisison does nothing. Wont even jerk the car or roll it forward if I rev it out to redline, there is just nothing there. If I shut the car off for a few minutesand start it back up then it will go into gear just fine and I can drive for about a 1/4 mile and then it will kick out again and do the same thing. At first I could drive longer distances before it would do it but not anymore, I am lucky to get an 1/8 mile sometimes. It doesnt even start slipping first it just quits completely. This is a couple month old Performabuilt transmission with 3200 Fuddle racing stall converter. It has not acted up in any way until now so I dont know what to think. Any advise would be appreciated.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

this problem is also getting worse. dont know if they can possibly be related.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63811

blue
    2000ss

If after you turn the car off and restart the shifts feel good for a short time , My guess would be the filter os becoming clogged and since when it does work and all the gears are there its unlikley the brebris would come from a clutch set as that set would slip at all times. Im betting on a converter clutch failure. Do not drive it like this drop the pan and see whats in there then change the filter, If shifts return to normal and with the previous bog issue you mentioned I would bet on a converter clutch coming apart. Now if you continue to drive it like that eventually the clutches in the trans will burn due to the filter becomeing clogged and loosing all presure, I can definatly say the filter is clogged with something , The question is what? But again if the shifts return to normal for a short time after turnig the car off I can say the debris are not likley from the trans itself.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I just got back home, I replaced the filter and fluid and it drives ok again. I have a few pics so hopefully since you saw my thread you can check them out. the filter was definatly clogged. I did not drive it much, maybe 4-5 miles total. Once it started cutting bad I left it in a parking lot where i just replaced the filter and brought it home. I can say one great thing about your transmission is that drain plug that yall install, made the fluid swap a breeze.

these were taken from camera phone so not the best of quality and somehow the one with pieces of rubbery stuff on my finger are gone. if i put the two peices together they were about a half inch.

blue
    2000ss

If the trans is shifting good now unfortunatly while thats good in a way its bad to because that tells you the frictions etc in the trans are good yet there had to be a source for all those debris which is likley some issue with the converter. This is not a cure its a limp fix. If I am correct and the converter clutch is failing , The filter will again become clogged in a relativley short time and once all the converter clutch material has come off metal will be present too

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

yeah I know its not permanant. only real bad part is I will need a hard failure on it before I know if its the converter or the trans right? I want a 4000 stall now anyways to replace my 3200 so I can put it a bigger cam

blue
    2000ss

Well Really its not likley the trans, Theres no place in the trans that contains enough clutch material to put that much in the pan in such large peices and not have a complete failure of one of the gears. Personally I would pull the trans and send it to us to go through and either get a warranty or replace the converter from the manufacturer you got it from. Those materials are traveling from the converter through the lube circuit etc and will eventually cut off lube and destroy the planets orblock the cooler and make it overheat massivley and cook the trans .

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

very good information. I am glad I bought from someone who cares enough to answer my questions. I will see if John over at fuddle will cut me a deal on a converter upgrade. I know he used to do that and I just placed an order for a converter from them for my roommates GTO so maybe we can work something out.

blue
    2000ss

Good luck

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Transmission is bad. Wont hold third gear and almost all gears after 1st are slipping.

blue
    2000ss

Though I have no doubt the trans is slipping I am betting still with the info you have given I am betting a bad converter clutch initiated the problem but anyway the trans is under warranty and I would suggest you send the converter off too. The stuff in the pan does not look like what you generally see from a clutch set in the trans coming apart to clumpy.

Thread Information