Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans-Am

transmission flush, help or hinder?

A couple of times now my 99 TA has bounced of the rev limiter insead of shifting 2-3, not everytime, but it happens. After a few searches I've found a bit of info and it seems it's not uncommon and can be an early sign of impending tranny trouble.

I'm considering a transmission flush, and rear gear oil change while I'm at it, but I've noticed some controvercy about if it's a good idea or not. Opinions on if a tranny flush is a good idea?

If/when I do go ahead with it, what fluids (availiable at your local jiffy-lube) would you recommend, because that's where it's going to be done. I'm not capable of ding the work myself and I'm no more trusting of the stealership than I am the drive through oilchange joint and at least the drive-through has conveinience on it's side and I can see it being done.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

IMO, go to the dealership for the transmission service. Most GM dealerships have a special machine that uses a pressure cleaner. It sucks out all the old fluid, sends a high pressure cleaner through the trans, torque converter included and then puts new fluid in. Usually charge around $150 and recommend every 60k, so just a good investment for the $$. Just my opinion.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if it's bouncing off the limiter on the 2-3 shift now, a flush will not help at all. most likely hurt. transmission fluid has detergents in it to clean. if the clutches are worn, it'll clean whatever you have left off. your 3/4 clutch pack is getting worn too much.

you can crutch it, by raising the line pressure, to apply more pressure. but, time to save up for a rebuild.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thread Information