Results 1 to 12 of 12

Trans Go Tranny dump

This is a discussion on Trans Go Tranny dump within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Ok, My 02 T/A has 40k on it and lately when I'm stopped and leave the line a little hard, ...

  1. #1
    U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SOCO
    Posts
    844

    NBM
    2002 Trans Am

    Question Trans Go Tranny dump

    Ok, My 02 T/A has 40k on it and lately when I'm stopped and leave the line a little hard, the tranny feels as if it's slipping but suddenly catches a gear, then takes off. It started doing his more and more. It shifted fine otherwise, just a little sluggish.

    So, I order and install a Trans Go performance shift kit. After installing it, the car feels like total crap. It's slipping all the way through first and the 1-2 shift is kind of all mushed in together. It will not shift up under wide open throttle and if I leave the line under full throttle the car just bogs and hear this crazy vibrating sound from the tranny.

    I figured the shift kit would help with line pressure, and that might solve my slippage I was having off the line. I think the tranny might have been ready to take a dump before I put the kit in and when I did, it pushed the tranny over the edge. I followed the shift kit install directions to a T. I don't think I made a mistake. I even watched the stupid video that came with it.

    What do you guys think? Tranny fried or shift kit mishap? Maybe just bad timing? Out of adjustment?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    40
    Posts
    83

    Mag Red
    '98 C5

    Could be a bad shift dolenoid, I would start with replacing those first and see what it does.

  3. #3
    U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SOCO
    Posts
    844

    NBM
    2002 Trans Am

    Are you reffering to the two electrical type relays that fit into the valve body? that plug into the harness?

  4. #4
    Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,097

    Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

    Yes that is what he is referring to however a bad shift solenoid SHOULD throw a code but that also doesnt sound to me like a solenoid symptom. How the solenoids work is they each have an on and off position and depending on the combination of the 2 postions (4 total combos) then that would tell the transmisison which gear to be in. If you had a bad solenoid then your car would more likely be lacking a gear, hence it would take off in second or not have a second gear and so forth depending on which solenoid is stuck and what postion its stuck in.

    So the reason I am saying it doesnt sound like a solenoid is that would not create a slipping transmission and you are saying that it does go through
    all the gears, just not how it should right?

    Has your car thrown any codes? Have you checked your tranny fluid since you filled it to make sure its still full?

  5. #5
    U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SOCO
    Posts
    844

    NBM
    2002 Trans Am

    Yeah I have checked the tranny fliud a number of times just to make sure. The car has not thrown any codes. I keep going through the install in my mind to see if I might have goofed or forgot something. I triple checked everything and just can't figure it out.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    40
    Posts
    83

    Mag Red
    '98 C5

    Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    Yes that is what he is referring to however a bad shift solenoid SHOULD throw a code but that also doesnt sound to me like a solenoid symptom. How the solenoids work is they each have an on and off position and depending on the combination of the 2 postions (4 total combos) then that would tell the transmisison which gear to be in. If you had a bad solenoid then your car would more likely be lacking a gear, hence it would take off in second or not have a second gear and so forth depending on which solenoid is stuck and what postion its stuck in.

    So the reason I am saying it doesnt sound like a solenoid is that would not create a slipping transmission and you are saying that it does go through
    all the gears, just not how it should right?

    Has your car thrown any codes? Have you checked your tranny fluid since you filled it to make sure its still full?
    Yes, shift solenoids will generally throw a code, but this happened to both my 2000 SS and my 2000 S10, both have 4L60E. My truck is the one that had the identical symptoms as what we're talking about. Hope this helps.

  7. #7
    U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SOCO
    Posts
    844

    NBM
    2002 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by CODE4LS1 View Post
    Yes, shift solenoids will generally throw a code, but this happened to both my 2000 SS and my 2000 S10, both have 4L60E. My truck is the one that had the identical symptoms as what we're talking about. Hope this helps.
    Are these solenoids available through the Dealership?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    40
    Posts
    83

    Mag Red
    '98 C5

    Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    Are these solenoids available through the Dealership?
    Yeah, I think I paid $40 for both of them, but prices may have increased a little bit.

  9. #9
    U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SOCO
    Posts
    844

    NBM
    2002 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by CODE4LS1 View Post
    Yeah, I think I paid $40 for both of them, but prices may have increased a little bit.
    Ok just to clarify, these solenoids are the two that go into the same side of the valve body. They plug into the wire harness and have coil wire inside of them right?

  10. #10
    Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,097

    Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

    Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    Are these solenoids available through the Dealership?
    you can also get them through autozone or any local parts store. Its worth a try but I still think it would be easier to have the transmission put on a scanner and get a good diagnostic from a reputable transmission shop. I went through some transmission problems where the car just wouldnt shift into second at all, it would just skip over and go to third. When we did the scan it showed that the transmission tried to go into 2nd and then skipped over to 3rd. when you would cruise in third and manually downshifted into second it would still try and go into second but would basicly just free rev and it would not bite onto 2nd gear because my clutch pack was completely gone.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Age
    40
    Posts
    83

    Mag Red
    '98 C5

    Yeah, be careful though, one of them is spring loaded, and don't lose those clips.

  12. #12
    U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SOCO
    Posts
    844

    NBM
    2002 Trans Am

    Just got off of the phone with Tans Go and they are saying that the bands are too tight. He told me to take out the Servo, inspect it and remove one of the shims. If this didn't solve it the I have to remove the valve body and check the 1-2 shift valve.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Trans am Tranny problem
    By 90ARAPAJ in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
  2. Help: Tranny=dump??
    By wanna_lS1 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 05:46 PM
  3. I think the tranny is going to take a dump...
    By z28punk in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
  4. Tranny Took A Dump
    By LETHALxLS1 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 12:24 PM
  5. putting 1 98 trans am tranny in 96 impala?
    By blackssimpala in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 11:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •