Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Tranny Took A Dump

Well I had a good idea it was coming from the way she has been acting. This morning it banged super hard going into 2nd gear. I stopped the car in a safe spot in my neighborhood and took off giving her 1/4 throttle and BANG! again, then slipping and a whining noise then she started to drive but it seemed fked up. 2 blocks later I only had 1st gear and reverse is now gone.
    The sad part about it is I took my car to a local shop to get plugs/wires because I have a back problem and thats when my tranny started fking up was when I picked up my car(was making a banging noise) . I have no proof but I strongly believe they beat on my car which led to this happening. I have never even spun a tire in my car nor gotten it above 3,000 rpms since I bought her 8 months ago,due to my back issues. I know they drove it because they admitted to it. Why do you need to test drive a car for a plugs and wires installation? you dont. I also know 2 people went out "testing" my car because I found fingerprints on the passenger side roof in the position like they had their hand out the window on the roof. Well I hope they had fun. I learned from this.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Man that suckes yeah even when I take it to the dealership I always write down the millage and If its off on a non having to test drive mod I will ask them IF they drove it. Just can't be too carfull cause when its not there car they could car less about how they drive it.

YOU DON'T F*** WITH ANOTHER MANS CAR!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Sorry to hear, but from what you had posted up recently, I can't say I am surprised. At least it didn't blow on the highway somewhere, thankfully it let loose close to home. Got anyone in mind to rebuild it?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Sorry to hear, but from what you had posted up recently, I can't say I am surprised. At least it didn't blow on the highway somewhere, thankfully it let loose close to home. Got anyone in mind to rebuild it?
    Yeah Pewter you were 100% correct about the tranny. You told me it was coming soon. I am going to put a used,low milage tranny in my car and sell it. I love my car but I really want a SS M6, Red with Leather interior and 10-25,000 miles at most. I have never had a "like" new car in my life and I really want one. I have several health issues, I am 35 years old, and I feel its time. I cant wait!!!!

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Sorry about your probs man.. good luck with the car!
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Sorry about your probs man.. good luck with the car!
    Thanks bro-very kind of you. Yea Ill get her fixed. The tranny problem isnt that big of a deal its my other problem with the messed up idle and sputtering. Just gonna take it 1 day at a time.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Yeah Pewter you were 100% correct about the tranny. You told me it was coming soon. I am going to put a used,low milage tranny in my car and sell it. I love my car but I really want a SS M6, Red with Leather interior and 10-25,000 miles at most. I have never had a "like" new car in my life and I really want one. I have several health issues, I am 35 years old, and I feel its time. I cant wait!!!!
    I Wished I would have been wrong about your tranny honestly

I want to acquire an M6 SS or an M6 C5 myself. I recall you telling me about your health issues before and sympathize with you and your situation. I hope all works out for the best though

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thank bro- Yea I couldnt drive a stick after my spine surgery but I am pretty sure I can now. Gonna test drive one and see. I mean autos are great but in a camaro I just love a stick.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I just had the same thing happen to my Trans Am. The same bang, then whirring and slipping. Only had 1st and 2nd gear. Car wouldn't shift into third. Found out the hard way that I had no reverse gear. Had to have someone help me push the car back cause the parking lot I was in was sloped a little and my car was facing downhill.
    It is currently at the dealer being looked at. My extended warranty just ran out too (DAMN!)
    They should be calling me tomorrow to tell me the bad news and how much it will cost me to fix.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Hey BLACKDRAGON could you let me know what they said happened? I am just curious. Also do you abuse your car occasionally? How many miles did your tranny have? EXACT same symptoms I had you had. Thanks

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Hey BLACKDRAGON could you let me know what they said happened? I am just curious. Also do you abuse your car occasionally? How many miles did your tranny have? EXACT same symptoms I had you had. Thanks
    I just got a call from them. They tell me it is the Sun shell and the Sun gear that failed. When it failed it threw a whole bunch of metal fragments throughout the tranny which in turn damaged just about everything else in there.

My options are to have them rebuild the tranny for $3100 which comes with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, or to instal a GM rebuilt and certified tranny for $3900 which comes with a 3 year/100,000mile nation wide warranty. I am opting to pay a little more to get the recert tranny for the longer warranty. Of course this is all being done at the dealer (cause I really don't want to try to drive it anywhere or get it towed) so is probably costing me a bit more. So it is a big OUCH to the budget.

I had 55,000 miles on my tranny and I really don't abuse it. It is a daily driver.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I know you dont want to tow it-but if you could tow it there is a company called Jasper that remanufactures engines and trannys with a 3 year warranty as well. They want $1800.00 for the tranny and they also have reccomended shops they can give you if you type in your zip code. I mention this because I bought an engine from them for a s-10 truck a few years ago and it developed a tapping sound. They gave me a new engine and paid to have it installed-no questions asked. I was actually going to go with one of their trannys but opted to sell my car so I am just going to put a used tranny in her and sell. Good luck.

black
    2002 trans am

i just blowed out second....
    im not two hard on my car...
    i take it to the track prlly once a month...and it had been acting up..not banging or anything..and well i took it in to the shop....

2.800 later...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I just got a quote of 1400 to rebuild mine so thats the way I am going.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

cant you go into the computer and see if it has been 6000rpm or wot, look into it

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I never really thought about that man. I really dont know the answer to that either. I really dont need to do that anyway cause I witnessed with my own eyes the owner launching my car in the parking lot on my last trip there. I am the kind of guy that if there was any doubt in my mind I wouldnt accuse someone. I can honestly say that I am 99.999% that when I left my car there on 2 other occasions they dogged my car. I just thought if I stayed with my car and told the manager I didnt want anyone test driving my car then it would no longer be a problem. I was wrong. I must be nuts because I thought if a customer told you not to let anyone drive your car then that is what would happen. This will NEVER happen again. I was so pissed when I saw the owner of the shop launching my car in the parking lot I didnt say anything-I got in my car and left because if he had said one smart ass word at that point I would have went to jail for sure.

* I could understand getting on the car a little bit if the tranny was built for abuse and/or this was a strip/street car. But this is my daily driver not something I abuse for fun.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

1400 sounds like a good price. Is it remove/install or just rebuild. What type of shop is doing the work a mass rebuild type shop or just like a typical all around shop. I ask because if it were possible I'd tell them to at least upgrade the sunshell. The price difference can't be more than like 20$ Max difference I think my beast was 40. It's not like bulletproofing the trans but just cheap insurance with a much better part.

Dragon 3900$ !?!? sheesh thats a hit. Too bad you aren't near TN I could hook ya up for half that.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Its a local shop and 1400 included everything. Even a transgo shift kit. I also had a rough idle/ misfire problem that he tracked down by changing injectors/coil packs and even changed the plugs for 75 bucks! I picked up the car yeasterday and it runs like new. I am very happy with this shops work/prices. Especially after taking the car to GM service and paying 400 bucks for a injector flush that I didnt even need to fix the rough idle.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Gld to hear you found a decent shop who knew what they were doing and finally got your issues fixed!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Me too buddy-me too! Its been a long struggle but I believe I finally found a honest shop that knows these cars. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information