Thread: tranny pan

white
    2000 trans am

tranny pan

ran over a large stone that I couldn't avoid smashed the train pan (automatic) no leaks but would like to replace it does anyone have a pan and gasket for sale? was thinking about the b&m pan that some guys have installed but worried about hiting it being that would be the lowest part .just had the train serviced trying not to spend another $50 on a train kit just for the gaskit. thanks

2000 trans am 4l60e (I think)
    Last edited by jodmari; 08-18-2014 at 12:18 PM.

You'll likely need another gasket anyway. Once they have been compressed and/or they stick at all it's a good possibility it won't seal back up completely and it will have to come back off again.

That's alot of tranny fluid to take a chance of wasting over a $5 gasket. Besides that, if it smashed the pan hard enough and distorted your filter in any way, you'll want to replace that too.

So may as well go for a trans service kit (gasket and filter) and a new pan. Some of these kits in Summit for example come complete (pan/gasket/filter) and prices aren't that bad.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am fairly certain I still have our stock pan in my lower garage. Let me know if you need one.

I run a B&M deep pan on our car now and have zero clearance issues - but the car is at stock ride height.

white
    2000 trans am

yes pajeff02 I could really use the stock pan. I would love to get that b&m pan but my car has been lowered (that I regret doing) an im sure it would be the first thing to hit if I bottom out. would you happen to have anything else to sell like a tranny kit or just a gasket?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I will have to look, but seems I have a kit on my shelf in the garage. I may also have a truck pan which is a bit deeper than the stock F-body pan, but not so much as to cause clearance issues. I can take a look and will let you know.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can get the filter/gasket set at advanced for a whopping $10.09 and rock auto has an ac/delco pan for $18. $30 and you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you can get the filter/gasket set at advanced for a whopping $10.09 and rock auto has an ac/delco pan for $18. $30 and you're all set.
    Yep, for very little money it wouldn't make sense to scrounge around for used stuff, and then not put a new filter/gasket on it.

I've really liked dealing with Rock Auto ever since you got me onto that Orion. I just ordered all new AC parts for the 89 mustang (compressor, all lines, new dryer, 0-rings, low press switch, new belt etc...) and only spent $377 shipped to my door, and had it in 3 days.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've been a big fan of those guys for years and have turned quite a few people onto them. Have yet to hear 1 bad experience from anyone. They have it figured out as far as getting parts to you, returned cores, and you have to really hunt around to beat their price.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I haven't bought anything from Rock Auto yet -- will have to remember them next time I go parts shopping.

white
    2000 trans am

just would like to say thanks to pajeff02 for the offer but I did buy new from rock auto.and thanks for the heads uporion

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I've been a big fan of those guys for years and have turned quite a few people onto them. Have yet to hear 1 bad experience from anyone. They have it figured out as far as getting parts to you, returned cores, and you have to really hunt around to beat their price.
    Yeah they sent me all the necessary paper work to return the AC compressor for a $24 core return. Pretty slick. Wife was wondering how that was going to work and I said "I don't know" lol. I just figured I'd order everything and see what happens. When we got the paperwork to ship the old unit back she was happy.

Got all the stuff on this afternoon, put the vacuum pump on and sucked it down. Charged it up, and we now have ice cold AC in that ole beater

98 Formula
    06 duramax

few years ago I was putting an ABS sensor on my old truck. I order it through them and when it gets here there are 2 in the box. I send them an email and tell them I have two and if they'd send me a shipping label I'll send it back. A guy emails me back and thanks me for my honesty and gives me a printable shipping label so I take it up to fedex and ship it to them. Come home and start swapping the ABS sensor and it doesn't work. After a lot of cussing and mumbling about how I had the extra one and returned it before installing the part I sent the same guy another email letting him know that the part I had didn't work. I figured now I'll have 2-3 days before I get a replacement part. Meanwhile I go out and ohm out the part to see what's up and find that it was rust between the dust shield and knuckle causing it. I sand that down and everything works perfect. I come back in and check my email and the guy had already replied with his cell number and was going to overnight a replacement to me. Didn't need that to happen but I'll never forget that and I'll do as much business with them as I can.

That's awesome. That's the kind of place you want to do business with.

I had a similar experience with Dunbar Spring down in Phoenix. They are the "go to" place for OEM springs and correct ride heights when restoring these classic cars, they have all the blueprints. I needed some parts on a Friday when I called. Shipping probably would have gotten them here Monday. I told the guy on the phone I was making a trip down to Phoenix Saturday and would like to pick them up. He told me they weren't open but what he did next had me speachless. He gives me his personal cell phone number and told me he would take all these parts home with him and he printed off the receipt with the total. When I got to Phoenix give him a call and he'd give me directions to his house, I'd just pay him and pick up the parts at his place. Fantastic place to deal with, with employess that go beyond what they need to do.

There aren't many places like this left but when I find them, they have my business for life.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter
    2000 Z-28

Well, it was a long time ago, but let me chime in regarding Rock Auto. I bought quite a bit from them, then was faced with a warranty return for halfshafts. The shipping charge rendered the warranty useless. Bear that in mind when ordering heavy parts.

Thread Information