white
    1998 z28

Question tranny issue think it might be planetary issue

just got my first camaro off my bro that has a 05 gto twin turbo bout 5 months ago it a 98 z28 with a crappy 4l60e....! first things first it has alot of miles but i know for a fact these motors last a long time an take a beating but i dont car bout rebuilding anything on it..... it's the love of my life so here's the problem first gear grinds and reverse everything else is fine just cant find any info on what it could be but seems cant find the right one....willing to rebuild it but wanna get an idea of what it is....if anyone that might have had a similar problem PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by nerisls1; 02-11-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

does it grind or slip? the reaction shell could be stripped where it splines to the sun gear. if it is slipping i bet your low and reverse clutches are smoked. what does the fluid smell like

white
    1998 z28

smells litter burnt like light brown color gotta member i never changed it had the car only for five months and actually had the prob when i bought it off my bro....but it was a steal so i said hell with it ....no slipping even if you beat it but once an a while if you stop at a light like yesterday feels like it locks up ...i dont know but i wanna fix it or get a good idea of what the problem might be

white
    01 formula

sounds like the rear sun gear needle bearing took a crap. all the scrapnel from the bearing goes into the rear planet and starts chewing that up and the more you drive it like that the more it eats. we see it all the time at our shop . you can useually have one of those rebuilt without problems and that year should be fairly cheap (under 1500)

blue
    2000ss

Quote Originally Posted by nerisls1 View Post
    just got my first camaro off my bro that has a 05 gto twin turbo bout 5 months ago it a 98 z28 with a crappy 4l60e....! first things first it has alot of miles but i know for a fact these motors last a long time an take a beating but i dont car bout rebuilding anything on it..... it's the love of my life so here's the problem first gear grinds and reverse everything else is fine just cant find any info on what it could be but seems cant find the right one....willing to rebuild it but wanna get an idea of what it is....if anyone that might have had a similar problem PLEASE HELP!

It does sound like you need a rebuild or a trans. Not sure I would say crappy 4l60e though there are guys running them in 9 and 10 second cars. Now if you mean the stock built 4l60e with anything over stock power then yes. But then it wasnt designed for that.
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

white
    1998 z28

i had it sitting in my garage for a while and i figured ill take it out for a quick spin to see if was still making noise cause out of no where sometimes it wouldnt make noise at all but it took a dump on me like 5 miutes of driving so only have 1st nothing else tell me about bad this sucks but im just putting it out there if anybody has a t56 swap i would really like to make it stick more fun for me haha

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

The stick may be more fun to drive, but from my experience they are more brittle than the 4L60E. I run mid 10's, so I wouldn't necessarily call a 4L60e crappy if built properly.

Thread Information