Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tranny fluid

White
    2001 RS Camaro

tranny fluid

Ok so I'm at 68,480 miles and I'm pretty sure it's due for a tranny flush. First off mine is a 3.8 and I've never done this before. What I'm worried about is A. finding metal shavings in the fluid and what all bad news that entails and B. is it gonna make the transmission slip after I've changed it since it's been so long. As of right now the tranny runs hard and smooth with no problems at all, is that a good sign as to how it will be after? Just new to doing this and being a college student I don't have the money to pay a mechanic and I need to learn this stuff anyways. Help/advice would be greatly welcome!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i think its recommended either at 50k or 75k, mine was acting up a few years ago, did i true flush at 120k I think. some places just drain and replace fluid, that doesnt do anything, a true flush cycles fluid though and cleans it out, takes several hours.

but anyway, mine was over 100k miles, and I think it helped. turns out my problem wasn't in my trans at all. but it didnt hurt

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Had mine done @ ~60~70k. Power flushed and a filter change. Had the trans reprogrammed a couple of years earlier. The flush had no effect.. Unless you have the equipment you won't be doing a flush on your own easily.. Better to take it somewhere you trust.. Finding metal shavings can mean a few things.. Most autos get some filings stuck to the pan magnet which is usually normal.. Big chunks, or larger pieces than just filings can be a sign of a problem internally. The transmission should'nt slip after a flush.. The PCM controls fluid presure to compensate for wear and to help prevent it. If it does'nt slip now it most likely wont after the flush. If it does then there was a problem soon to show itself anyways.. Better to find it before it stops moving..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-14-2010 at 02:00 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

You're right at the recommended mileage. Get it done!

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i'm not one for doing a flush but i would recommend draining the fluid and changing the filter and putting in new fluid. if you get too many miles on it (over 100k) i wouldn't recommend it though...sometimes the only thing holding the trans together over 100k is the fluid.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i'm not one for doing a flush but i would recommend draining the fluid and changing the filter and putting in new fluid. if you get too many miles on it (over 100k) i wouldn't recommend it though...sometimes the only thing holding the trans together over 100k is the fluid.
    that only gets the fluid in the pan, thats like, 3 of the 8 quarts, that and a filter change will help, but its not like a real flush

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

It's gotta be more than 3 qts.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    that only gets the fluid in the pan, thats like, 3 of the 8 quarts, that and a filter change will help, but its not like a real flush
    Agree, just serves to contaminate the new fluid with the old stuff that's left behind.. = waste o' time..

An out of spec trany is an out of spec trany reguardless of the fluids age..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-15-2010 at 01:56 AM.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Is the dip stick for the tranny fluid the one with the red cap that says trans/lock towards the back of the block? I wanna check the fluid for myself before I take it to the shop. I know it should be a pink or red color and brown is bad.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

yep.....on both counts

im sure youve explained this before, but i gotta ask

"transamgirl89"......"2001 RS Camaro"......explain

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    Is the dip stick for the tranny fluid the one with the red cap that says trans/lock towards the back of the block? I wanna check the fluid for myself before I take it to the shop. I know it should be a pink or red color and brown is bad.
    just to make sure, you know that the motor has to be running when you check the tranny fluid, right? drive a bit to get the system warm, then park on even ground. keep the car running in park and check the fluid. the level is supposed to be between the little holes.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    Yes that be the one.. It will be like a 3 foot dip stick.. Pretty long. Also follow Hambergers instructions..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-15-2010 at 07:10 AM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

yep, check it warm, level ground....ive actually got a really funny story regarding that, lol

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Most transmisson shops do not recommend a complete flush just a fluid drain and filter change. They claim a flush can actually damage the tranny.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Most transmisson shops do not recommend a complete flush just a fluid drain and filter change. They claim a flush can actually damage the tranny.
    If the flush has never been done before and the vehicle has a ton of miles, then yes, I would agree with this.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

the trans holds 5 quarts and the converter holds 3

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Spitkito I had a 99 TA before this car. I totaled it last year before I joined the site. I went with a Camaro because I got a really good deal but my heart is still with the Trans Am.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider095 View Post
    the trans holds 5 quarts and the converter holds 3
    As a whole (and i know cause ive done it) its gonna take about 11-12 quarts of Auto Trans fluid to completly exchange the the fluid. THats the WHOLE tranny system. Its expensive and takes about an hour depending on the machine used. The machine we used in the shop i use to work in would suck out and push in fluid at the same time. For a 70k+ tranny it does wonders for your tranny. it will thank you. If you put in high quality synthetic, even better. Find a shop that replaces, not just "filter". And make sure they replace your filter while you at it. For a True Tranny Flush, with synthetic fluid, you r gonna be looking at $200-300. Unless your working there then you get it at cost like me lol
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 12-17-2010 at 03:26 AM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i think mine was just a little over 100, and it was a full flush and replace.

Red
    98 Trans Am

It all depends on the Shop. Some are cheaper than others but it also depends on their equipment. Supply and demand. Makes or breaks a shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information