Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Tranny finally gone

what would be a good price on a used tranny and labor install ? good price on a rebuild ?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

a shop is gonna charge between 5 and 7 hours to remove and replace the trans. So depending on the labor rate it could be $450 to $700 labor.
    a used trans from a junkyard might cost like $600

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

At those prices just have them rebuild yours. A flat cost of 1100 to 1300 is typical for a stock rebuild. You will be sitting the same and no worries if the trans is gona hold up. Most builders will warrenty thier work anywhere from 30days to a year.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

ok thanks for the info

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    At those prices just have them rebuild yours. A flat cost of 1100 to 1300 is typical for a stock rebuild. You will be sitting the same and no worries if the trans is gona hold up. Most builders will warrenty thier work anywhere from 30days to a year.
    Yeah a couple of cars back i was facing this, and that's the price range I was looking at for a rebuild...

Black
    00 WS6

Make sure you have a performance shop rebuild the trans, I would not have it rebuilt stock.

Orange
    1994 Z28

Do alot of price shopping and know what your gettin for the money, 4L60E easy trans to build and beef up , dont go stock and sure as hell i wouldnt put one in from a bone yard. if you wanted to go cheap and were jus sellin off the car, you could see about gettin the unit in the car patched. Usually the 3-4 clutches burn up or reaction shell strips or breaks, most common failures i seen in those . jus my $.02

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by V84U2NV View Post
    Do alot of price shopping and know what your gettin for the money, 4L60E easy trans to build and beef up , dont go stock and sure as hell i wouldnt put one in from a bone yard. if you wanted to go cheap and were jus sellin off the car, you could see about gettin the unit in the car patched. Usually the 3-4 clutches burn up or reaction shell strips or breaks, most common failures i seen in those . jus my $.02
    what would a be a good price for one rebuilt with a stall and shift kit? my motor is stock

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

the car would unlock sometimes in o/d ......it did this for a year......now it slips real bad even on take off.....could it just be the convertor gone bad?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    the car would unlock sometimes in o/d ......it did this for a year......now it slips real bad even on take off.....could it just be the convertor gone bad?
    That sounds like the lockup clutch in the TC fried. When the TC goes it usually takes the rest of the tranny with it.

My tranny, rebuilt with premium parts (Raybestos racing clutches, The Beast sun shell) and including a boatload of internal modifications (basically a Stage IV tranny, delete TM, shift reprogrammer, drill mod and other things) with a Fuddle 3400 stall converter and a tranny cooler ran right around $1800. This also included the labor to R&R.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    That sounds like the lockup clutch in the TC fried. When the TC goes it usually takes the rest of the tranny with it.

My tranny, rebuilt with premium parts (Raybestos racing clutches, The Beast sun shell) and including a boatload of internal modifications (basically a Stage IV tranny, delete TM, shift reprogrammer, drill mod and other things) with a Fuddle 3400 stall converter and a tranny cooler ran right around $1800. This also included the labor to R&R.
    thats a pretty good price.....my engine is stock so a small stall and shift kit would make me happy

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    thats a pretty good price.....my engine is stock so a small stall and shift kit would make me happy
    I'm also good friends with the shop owner and helped take it out.

If you do a stall you'll want a tranny cooler for sure. If you go with a shift kit you'll want to have "Torque Management" deleted from the PCM.

When it comes to a stall speed with these cars it's "Come BIG or go home" since they can be programmed as to when it'll lock up and behave like a normal stall during cruise. My 3400 stall is chump change and since the car isn't my DD I really should have went with 3800 or 4000.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 07-15-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'm also good friends with the shop owner and helped take it out.

If you do a stall you'll want a tranny cooler for sure. If you go with a shift kit you'll want to have "Torque Management" deleted from the PCM.
    ok thanks.....hopefully i can find a good local shop to fix me up

Thread Information