Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

tranny builders--advice please!

This is a discussion on tranny builders--advice please! within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; the guys at the shop, including owner, looked at it immediately. They couldn't figure what was going on-said all they ...

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

the guys at the shop, including owner, looked at it immediately. They couldn't figure what was going on-said all they could do is pull it back out Monday and look into it further and try to find out why its leaking. Said since its doing it even without running there may be a cracked case or something. confusing, and doesn't sound promising...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

thats a bitch, there must be something seriously wrong thats not getting noticed, fucked up pump maybe? almost sounds like you need to bite the bullet and get a new tranny.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

ya--that's what i'm afraid of--not easy to justify that cost w/90000 miles...especially after having spent 1750.00 to have it rebuilt 1.5 years ago....

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Sounds a little more than just a trashed bushing or gasket. The pump case itself could be cracked or the pump drive on the tq converter cracked. Seen that happen a few times but would cause the same situations you are describing. Still not a whole tranny, I would hope although that someone able to diagnose or build a trans would catch something like that when it's apart.

blue
    2000ss

If they replaced all that I would strongly suggest pesure testing the converter , I have seen them leak at the welds

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Sounds a little more than just a trashed bushing or gasket. The pump case itself could be cracked or the pump drive on the tq converter cracked. Seen that happen a few times but would cause the same situations you are describing.
    If they replaced all that I would strongly suggest pesure testing the converter , I have seen them leak at the welds
    I will mention these when i talk to them tomorrow. thanks for continuing to read and give feedback on this thread!!!

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

This is sounding like a similar problem that I had with a Jeep Grand Cherokee after I pulled a few tree stumps out. I pulled the tranny out 3 times before I figured out what the problem was.

I put the torque converter on a vacuum with soapy water and found a 3/4'' crack on the neck of the converter. By the time I figured out that the converter was junk, the tranny was now in need of a rebuild too.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

thank you 02blkws6-another vote for cracked TC. Where in IL you from? I grew up in Emington (pop: 150 ). Was right between Bloomington/Normal and Joliet on I55--hour either way.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

ok--cars back and 9hrs (only about 10 miles) into no more leaking!!! You guys rock--They replaced TORQUE CONVERTOR. Garage owner said trans. shop supposedly pressure tested tc when it was there first time having all this sealing done, but had a skeptical tone/look too. Long ass time to get it figured out---but hey--got it back today (75 degrees!) with t-tops off!!!! You guys know how great that is! but back to 55 high tomorrow...got it in the nick of time--for 10 miles...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

heck yeah, i was sittin at the redlight at the loop and broadway today, started to look for your car at fridays but figured it was in the shop, were planning on working on my car on the 10th or 11th, probably the later.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

cool spikito! yeh--got it back for now (crossed fingers!) Looking for a nice day to get it cleaned up--got nasty at the shop--and trans fluid all over the bottom and exhaust makes for an unpleasant smell! And, again, not sure if i'll be free; no set plans, but if i'm not doing anything it would be fun to lend ya a hand over break!

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Edwardsville, it is northeast of STL by about 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    thank you 02blkws6-another vote for cracked TC. Where in IL you from? I grew up in Emington (pop: 150 ). Was right between Bloomington/Normal and Joliet on I55--hour either way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information