Tranny?

This is a discussion on Tranny? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Okay the other day I noticed a very loud rattle start out of the blue when I fired my 01 ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Tranny?

Okay the other day I noticed a very loud rattle start out of the blue when I fired my 01 Camaro 3.8L up. Rattle goes away after it get's up to temp. I got a little over 70k on her. I dont beat on it at all. But when I got under it (while running) it sounded like the rattle was near the front of the trany. Cant realy tell though but with my head under the trany pan it sounded like I was real close to the rattle. Trany was flushed 10-15k ago and the fluid is still clean and clear and no funny smells. Levels good too. Drives good nothing strange except it loiters a little in each gear before shifting. It's an A4 by the way. Shifts are still crisp too. I checked the heat sheilds, lines, brakets, and so forth can't find it anywhere external. Car is well taken care of.
    Has anyone heard or experienced this? All suggestions welcome or point me in some direction to go next please and thanx in advance.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-09-2009 at 06:18 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2001 Camaro SS Red M6
    i know you've checked them but theres a small heat shield, a little smaller than a piece of paper, mounted above the tranny on the left or right... i dont remember if theres one on each side or not. Anyway i had trouble with one and i checked it and it seemed fine, but i took it off anyway and the rattling stopped.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by formula1804 View Post
    i know you've checked them but theres a small heat shield, a little smaller than a piece of paper, mounted above the tranny on the left or right... i dont remember if theres one on each side or not. Anyway i had trouble with one and i checked it and it seemed fine, but i took it off anyway and the rattling stopped.
    I think it it's more mechanical sounding, but I'm willing to check anything at this point. Hope it aint my oil pump. I'm changing the motor and trany this summer but I would like to be able to drive it some before then. Just drives me crazy cause I take really good care of it. Thanx man I'll check it out in the morning and see if that's the case. Thanx again.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-09-2009 at 08:50 PM.

2001 Camaro SS Red M6
    no problem... if it sound mechanical in the front of the tranny, could it maybe be the torque converter? never heard one rattle but anything is possible. good luck

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by formula1804 View Post
    no problem... if it sound mechanical in the front of the tranny, could it maybe be the torque converter? never heard one rattle but anything is possible. good luck
    Maybe i dunno. It just started one morning when i started it up. Scratchin my head at this point. The day before it had no signs of anything then next day rattles so loud I cant hear my self think. Warmed it up and it got quiet. Shut it off let it cool, then refired it and there it was again. Warmed it up and gone again. Ugh!

white
    01 formula

check the converter bolts make sure there tight .one may have wiggled loose and is hitting somthin.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by fieropope View Post
    check the converter bolts make sure there tight .one may have wiggled loose and is hitting somthin.
    will do thanks

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I think I got it figured. Had no check engine light till yesterday. Turned out to be the cat, made the rear 02 sensor throw a code probably cause of how close it is to the cat on the 3.8. Thanx all for the suggestions appreciate it.

white
    01 formula

hope it fixs it ive heard them rattle before make sure they get all the broken up pieces out of the rest of the pipe when they change it or youll have problems down the road with that

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fieropope View Post
    hope it fixs it ive heard them rattle before make sure they get all the broken up pieces out of the rest of the pipe when they change it or youll have problems down the road with that
    Yeah, i do pipe work myself. picked up a 3" cat for it today, (well yesterday now) just gonna go ahead and put an entire cat back on too for now nothing too crazy though. Just leaving everything else stock. Plan to yank out the motor this summer and start over with an LS1 and a m6. Thanx for the help.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-12-2009 at 01:16 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

2 year later and it still has the 3800 in it..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-18-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: 2 years :sulk:

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    2 years later and it still has the 3800 in it..

Fixed.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Fixed.
    Damn'

Thread Information