tps causing slip?

This is a discussion on tps causing slip? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; hey guys, first post here, i drive a 02 holden berlina with an ls1 and 4l60e box. The problem im ...

white
    2002 Holden Berlina

tps causing slip?

hey guys, first post here, i drive a 02 holden berlina with an ls1 and 4l60e box. The problem im having is that under WOT 1-2 changes around 4000rpm and while driving normally there is a slight slip on the 2-3 shift. I did a filter and fluid change and 2 week later i put a ported tb on, and is wasnt to far after that that i noticed the box playin up, i was thinkin its the tps but unsure,ive had no codes. Car has done 80,000km, otr, cat back, ported tb, tune and 300rwhp. What you guys reakon

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

To be honest yea the tps could be it but I'd look at the tune. Shift point are done by electronics and trans fluid pressure. If it were the tps, I'd say you would have other problems like idle and starting. Not just shift problems.

How long since the tune?
    How hard of a life has that 4l60e had?

Could be weak line pressure. Could have someone throw a gage on it to rule it out.

white
    2002 Holden Berlina

the tune was done 4 months ago, box never had any slip, just thought it would be good time for the fluid change. 2 weeks i put the tb on with the easly shift noticed straight away and a few days later i noticed the slip. As for how hard, its been hard, but no manual shifting. Bout 20 runs down the 1/4, 13.2 is my best.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Ok When you changed the filter did you make sure to remove the old filter collar and did you install the new one the same as the one you took out? I would have the line pressure checked. If the filter isn't in correctly that could cause it to loose line pressure.

white
    2002 Holden Berlina

no, didnt think about it till later on, though do you think that pressure issues would of started straight away, not straight after the tb swap.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Depends man Sometimes it can be in there wrong and never see a problem, other times it could happen right away. I say get a line test first to make sure the trans has enough pressure other wise it could damage it very fast. You can buy a test gage if you have to but here most shops will do it for very little cash if any at all.
    You can test the TPS sensor with a volt meter to see if it is out of range. Not sure on that car but most are low at close (Round .500 volts if I remember right) and around 5 volts at WOT. Search here and on the net and you should be able to find out were it needs to be. Do you have any idel issues?

white
    2002 Holden Berlina

the issue i did have with the idle so to speak was before the tb. after the tune, the revs were dropping to low on backing off on the peddle after a burnout at the 1/4 causing it to stall, i spoke to the tuner about it and he said it was due to not enough air going in to what he set the tune at, he said i had two options, one was to get it corrected or to put a larger tb on which will sort it out, i went with the bigger tb because i got it for free. i've had it on the dyno since, and all is ok.

I've just pulled the tps out, it had quite abit of carbon on it, i cleaned it up with contact cleaner and went for a drive and all seems ok, will see what happens over the next couple of days, a work mate is gona bring in his tps tomorrow and im gona see how that goes.

As far as gauges go, i might aswell buy one and keep it installed. what type and size fitting will i need, also what sort of conditions do i need to put the box under to get the reading i need, and what pressure should it be at.

Thanks for your help

white
    2002 Holden Berlina

ok, i checked the volts on the tps, at idle its .57 and WOT is 4.77. the power cable is at 5.0.

So where do i go from here, is the tps right?

looks like i gota go get the line pressure checked
    Last edited by vyls1OZ; 12-11-2009 at 12:49 AM.

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

the ported TB is playing with the line pressure, put a stock TB back on and see what happens, may/may not have damaged the A4 caused by slipping
    my .02' Johnny
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

white
    2002 Holden Berlina

i dont actually have the tv anymore, mine was exchange. How can the tb be playing with the line pressure? also could any vacume issues cause it?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Seems to me the TPS and ported TB are ok and most likely aren't related to your transmission troubles.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by vyls1OZ View Post
    i dont actually have the tv anymore, mine was exchange. How can the tb be playing with the line pressure? also could any vacume issues cause it?
    Have you had the car scanned to see if there are any codes? Vac can have an effect but usually it has to be bad enough that you see changes in the way the engine idles and runs so I would say no since all you seem to notice is a slip and the 1st gear change. 4l60E's have failed on stock power but I would say if you had a problem with idle after the tune and a TB change solved that, you might have a problem with the tune. The TB change my help mask the engine side of the tune. PCM relies on LOTS of engine sensors like MAF, TPS, MAP, RPM, speed, and others it relies on to shift the trans as well as those on and in the trans. If you mask a problem by swapping parts you just make it that much harder to track down with out a tech II and a data log. A bad tune can destroy engines for sure and since the trans shifts based on the PCM it could be something on the trans side of the tune. You could have them look at it again and double check it, but if they didn't do it right and don't know any better that wont help much. I would start with a scan and then go back to the stock TB. Change anything back that was on the car before the problem started (with in reason). You should have your idle problem again. From here you can try to figure out were the sorce of the problem is if nothing shows up in a scan or a tune check. It's odd to me that you have an early gear change in first and a slip in 2 to 3rd. 1st to 2nd sounds like a tune problem and 2nd to 3rd sounds like maybe the 3-4 clutch pack is going.
    I did have a crazy thing happen to my trans, I cracked a high preformance sunshell and it caused delayed shifting while in over drive and in low 1 and 2 sometimes shifted from 1st to 2nd at like 3000rpms under WOT while still held in low 1 or 1st. It took me 3 months of beating on it to finsh off the sunshell before it did the classic no 2nd, no 4th, no reveres, and no lock up. I had chased this problem for 6 months prior to the 3 months of beating and had taken it out and back to the builder 3 times. Every time I took it back it ran great on a custom controler in a test car. They told me it was electrical and I traced and metered out every wire in the trans and engine harness. Turns out it was mechanical all a long because that was the last thing I changed (the trans) The old trans ran fine except it was worn out with a classic slip that started in 4th spread to 3rd and finally 2nd.
    It could be a mixture of both tune and mechanical. The problem is it is not doing any classic problems that diffine one thing or the other. If a scan can't turn up anything, just work your way backwards untill you find the problem. Good luck with it and let us know what else you find out.

white
    2002 Holden Berlina

ok, cheers mate, will give you an update when i know

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-13-2011, 08:51 PM

Thread Information