Torque Converter Problems

This is a discussion on Torque Converter Problems within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; my Torque converter is not right, but...... lets start from the beginning of the story. performabuilt stage 2 4L60e with ...

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Torque Converter Problems

my Torque converter is not right, but...... lets start from the beginning of the story.

performabuilt stage 2 4L60e with a 3000 stall converter

after getting the h/c swap done I had the car tuned enough so that I could drive it until the weather cleared up enough to get a full tune done. I didnt drive it very much. Torque converter locked up really firm (practically slammed the whole car when it locks) on the highway and drove fine.

I dropped the car off to get the full tune done. it snowed the next day, so the transmission tune wasnt able to be done fully. tuner made a comment saying the converter wasnt locking up on the highway very hard at all and not staying locked. weird, but didnt think much of it at the time. (I was too broke from the build to want to think about it)

now the car will want to die going to a stop, and its almost like the converter sticks engaged or not engaged. this started last night after doing a couple highway pulls. I was pulling into my garage last night and it kept lunging forward like a person learning to drive a stick for the first time. it doesnt even like to idle very well now. I think the converter is partially engaging at idle (if thats even possible). when it locked (softly) on the freeway today on the way home I tried lightly accelerating and it seems to sputter.

I am just posting this to see if I can get some ideas in what to look for to fix this issue.

too many to list
    1964 Chevy El Camino

You put a 3k stall converter in your car, how much HP and Tq are you making to use that? Honestly, I wouldn't have a 3k stall lockup converter. Are you using any aftermarket tuner along with your custom tune? Was that converter recommended by the tranny company? I need more info

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Usually the missfire tables in HP tuners need adjusted with larger stall speed converters but I've never heard of it unlocking like that with a smaller stall speed like that.

But it could be the issue. You could ask your tuner about it, I'd say it's a common problem.

If you got the trans and converter through Frank at Performabuilt, it'll have a 2 year warranty.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Dan31 View Post
    You put a 3k stall converter in your car, how much HP and Tq are you making to use that? Honestly, I wouldn't have a 3k stall lockup converter. Are you using any aftermarket tuner along with your custom tune? Was that converter recommended by the tranny company? I need more info
    I think im around 400 hp. no idea on torque. I still have yet to get a good dyno. I dyno'd 369 with a bad tach lead cutting out at 4k rpms. the stall came with the transmission. so yes it was recommended. its just weird that it started acting up like this after about a month of driving it after the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Usually the missfire tables in HP tuners need adjusted with larger stall speed converters but I've never heard of it unlocking like that with a smaller stall speed like that.

But it could be the issue. You could ask your tuner about it, I'd say it's a common problem.

If you got the trans and converter through Frank at Performabuilt, it'll have a 2 year warranty.
    yea I have been getting P0300 misfire codes, but it drives fine so I just keep clearing them or they clear themselves
    that does make me feel better about the converter tho. I might be able to get it warrantied. its around the 2 year mark tho.

-I did check codes the other night and found a Maf sensor performance code. I know its a big input for the transmission, but could it cause this big of an issue?
    Last edited by z28punk; 05-01-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

If you are getting the code and your tuner is familiar with HPtuners, he needs to adjust the misfire tables.

If you do a search on it, you might find what needs adjusted or just call Frank, cuz I'm sure he knows what needs to be changed.

Probably the problem.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

I knew it needed to be adjusted, but this is a little out of the normal for the way its been running.

I did notice that if I give it some gas and beat on it for a second it drives a better for a little bit. im going to bring it in to my work tomorrow and run some tests to see what I find.

Thread Information