Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

Question Torque Converter...(HOW MUCH STALL??)

hey i have a 2001 camaro SS and of course its an AUTO.
    but i just ordered a MS3 cam and i was wondering how much stall i needed. just enough to get back with the cam is really all im looking for. I really dont want anything huge! i was thinking like 2000-2500.
    Any idea's?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

That isn't worth it. Go at least 3000-3200.

What is the powerband of the cam?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

That is a top end cam 3200-3600 stall would be better. Our torque converters have lock-up op so don't worry about driving around on the freeway at 3000rpm.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I'd get a 4000

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by usafshelley View Post
    hey i have a 2001 camaro SS and of course its an AUTO.
    but i just ordered a MS3 cam and i was wondering how much stall i needed. just enough to get back with the cam is really all im looking for. I really dont want anything huge! i was thinking like 2000-2500.
    Any idea's?
    If you didnt want anything huge, buying a HUGE cam for a stock CI 346 was a bad idea. 3600 would be the lowest I would go with that cam.

hugger orange

I'm running a 3,800 stall in my daily driver.
    we run lock-up stalls so you can get away with a higher stall and a decent tuner can make it pretty tame.
    for the cam your looking at 3,800-4,000 stall.
    but look at it this way, if you take a all stock motor and run a 3,500 stall you can drop .5 second off your 1/4 mile time

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

not knowing your orther mods, hard to guess, how high you going to wind it? think that cam should make power to 67-6800 rpms, 35-3600 stall should hold your shift extensions up to 5-5500
    I run 4k yank last , holding shifts about 6k on moter, have a yank 4400 waiting on the floor if I want more
    good luck. Johnny
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

here is the powerband for the MS3 cam "2300-6800 RPM Power Band with a peak around 6400rpm" ok i have a better idea of how much stall i need, but what is a good brand and is somewhat a good price??? And since it will be my DD i will need lockup....

Black
    2000 Z-28

I'd say you need a minimum of a 4k stall w/ a cam that big. I have a much smaller cam and run a Yank PT 4000 stall in my DD as they're very drivable. What about induction and exhaust mods? Probably need some 3:73s as well. What's the goal for the car? We definitely need more info to help you with your decision.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by usafshelley View Post
    here is the powerband for the MS3 cam "2300-6800 RPM Power Band with a peak around 6400rpm" ok i have a better idea of how much stall i need, but what is a good brand and is somewhat a good price??? And since it will be my DD i will need lockup....
    Tell us your goals and I'll give you a better idea of the stall you want.

I'd personally go with a 4000 or higher with that cam, but that's just me personally. This is going to completely change your car, it will run like a raped ape after you get a GOOD tune. A tune is very important with a cam and a stall.

Yank makes a good converter but they are about 750-900. Circle D makes a good converter as well, I think they cost a bit more. I've heard people use Vig as well. Those might be a bit cheaper. I personally have a Yank.

I bought the best transmission cooler I could find, very important to keep the temperatures down in the transmission. It'll get a lot hotter running that stall. There is a lot you need to learn yet, if all I am saying is new to you. The stall is gonna kill gas mileage, not only does it take more power to go around town, but you won't be able to keep your foot out of it because it's such a joy to drive. Once you get to about 50mph or so, depending where the tune is set to "lock up" the converter...then you will get decent mileage on the highway and such.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Tell us your goals and I'll give you a better idea of the stall you want.

I'd personally go with a 4000 or higher with that cam, but that's just me personally. This is going to completely change your car, it will run like a raped ape after you get a GOOD tune. A tune is very important with a cam and a stall.

Yank makes a good converter but they are about 750-900. Circle D makes a good converter as well, I think they cost a bit more. I've heard people use Vig as well. Those might be a bit cheaper. I personally have a Yank.

I bought the best transmission cooler I could find, very important to keep the temperatures down in the transmission. It'll get a lot hotter running that stall. There is a lot you need to learn yet, if all I am saying is new to you. The stall is gonna kill gas mileage, not only does it take more power to go around town, but you won't be able to keep your foot out of it because it's such a joy to drive. Once you get to about 50mph or so, depending where the tune is set to "lock up" the converter...then you will get decent mileage on the highway and such.
    I know with mine (04 a4 GTO) in the computer there are a few mode settings that can be activated for the transmission.......normal,and performance that can be controlled by a push button.
    I have my lockup set at 35 mph, a very conservative normal mode, and a very aggressive performance mode.
    this gives you the best of both worlds, economy and power.
    I'm pretty sure 00-04 had the same computers

white
    83 mustang coupe

I would say at least 4000 call comp cams they will ask all of your info and they will tell you what stall you will need.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

At the least a 4000 and 3.73's would help too...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I'd get a 4000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    If you didnt want anything huge, buying a HUGE cam for a stock CI 346 was a bad idea. 3600 would be the lowest I would go with that cam.
    Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    At the least a 4000 and 3.73's would help too...

Thread Information