GROUND KONTROL C.O. dneemorelos's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

torque converter

What all is needed if you want to install a performance torque converter?? In other words what all needs to be changed/modded so as to not create any problems.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

a tranny cooler is a must have and you'll most likely need to get the car tuned depending on the size of the stall. I would recommend a tune regardless of the size but some can get away with a smaller convertor for a while without a tune. Your lock up points, shift points, and misfire tables will most likely need to be changed.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

Is that the same with all cars with stalls Orion? My friend is getting a stall for his truck and I was curious if we should take it to a shop or do it ourselves...

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

What stall speeds are you talking about?
    If your gona do nothing more than a mild 1800 2000 then don't have do do anything but trans cooler will let the trans live longer no matter what stall. Stalls = heat. The more stall the more heat they create. I don't know where the line is but at a certian point your going to cause a VSS drop off that may make the computer put the Trans in Defalt mode. If you go with a high stall you will need a tune to get around the VSS drop off

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Is that the same with all cars with stalls Orion? My friend is getting a stall for his truck and I was curious if we should take it to a shop or do it ourselves...
    the actual swap you can do if you're mechanically inclined but not everyone can tune for them. Not sure what shops you have and what their capabilities are. What size stall is he looking at and what mods does he have now or planned in the future? That all becomes important when picking a stall. If you pick a small stall and later go with a decent size cam you'll be needing to swap to a larger stall. On the other hand N2O likes a tighter stall so the end goals will kinda determine what you need to get. IMO if his end goals include heads and cam I wouldn't even look at anything less than 3500 rpm. Not sure what the trucks stall out to stock but the f-bodies is ~1800rpm stock.

Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

His truck stall sucks. But right now he has intake and catback. After the stall he is planning to get headers. I dont know after that. For sure a tune. Only like a 2600 stall nothing much but a lot better than stock. Should he go with 3k? Thats the highest stall offered for his truck that we have found. Is putting a stall in hard for people who dont know engines in and out? My dad will be there with us and he can put a car together with his eyes blindfolded.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Here's a write up on doing one in an f-body.....should give you a basic idea of what has to be done. When you get ready to do the actual install post up and we'll give you tips. It's not hard to do. Just make sure you don't put it in dry and make sure it seats all the way onto the shaft. Those are the main things. I would go ahead and replace the front seal while you had it out....I didn't and must've nicked it putting it back in so I had to pull the tranny again to replace a $10 seal that I should've done in the first place while it was out.

http://www.zmydust.com/converter.html

as far as the size he should go with I'd hate to give you bad information. Tranny settings are like shoes.....everyone has their own idea of what comfortable is. Is his truck something he drives everyday? Does he take it to the track? Mod plans are very important but depending on who he gets the converter from they may offer a free restall so if he doesn't like it or wants to go bigger he can. What year truck is it and what tranny does it have? A 3000 should be fine depending on where he ends up mod wise but like I say, trannies are like shoes.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

A flexplate change to a TCI SF29 unit would be a nice added touch, also consider a deeper transmission pan.

SteveC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    also consider a deeper transmission pan.

SteveC
    No need to buy an expensive aftermarket piece that creates clearance problems: most stock GM truck pans are deeper and have a drain plug. You'll need the truck filter too if you go that route.

Thread Information