Thread: stumbling...

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

stumbling...

hey all,
    well i have noticed this problem before but it is either gettin a little bit worse or its bugging me more so i notice it every time.
    - well to start im pretty sure this only happens when the car is up to normal operating temp but again maybe i just dont notice it on shorter drives.
    -1) when im driving on the highway say 65, when i get off the gas it seems my transmission is struggling a bit to down shift. but right when i get back on the gas it gets into gear and smooth as can be. the problem only seems to be when im coasting/slowing down. (the car shifts hard and clean at WOT)
    -2) seems the the second part could be realted. when comnig to a complete stop, ill be coasting and the trans doing its usual stumbling and the right before im about to completely stop it gives one last jerk forward.

any ideas what this could be guys? id really like to start modding my car but i want it to be running 100% before i start throwing money at it
    so to isolate and see if it was the tranny i tried putting it in neutral a couple times when stopping and whiel coasting on the highway. In N the car rolls to a complete, smooth stop with no jerks or funky movements.
    also the car seems to move a bit slow while changing from park, reverse, and to drive and jerks the whole car .
    Last edited by pewterz55; 03-29-2011 at 07:21 AM.

hello

Not enough info can we start by getting the upshift speeds say normal throttle,,at what speed does the 1-2 come in at, then the 2-3,and finally the 3-4?? Then try it in drive at normal throttle, 1-2, then the 2-3?? another concern is when does lock up happen? at what speed in overdrive? From your discription it may be a lock up issue. Down shifts are weird to begin with, has anyone ever tuned this car? I hope this helps Dave

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

im not sure ecactly what mph or rpms the car shifts on normal throttle or WOT ill have to look into to that next time i have the car out.

RPM's don't matter, don't need WOT either, just the up shifts. Hope this helps Dave

White
    1998 Camaro

With the little info you posted I would guess its a tcc issue as well.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

I havent had the car out yet but from what I've been reseaching it seems like it could be the converter having lock up problems. which I wouldn't mind so I can upgrade

Thread Information