black
    01 camaro SS

stall and tune questions

hey guys first off im a new guy picking up an 01 SS A4 very soon here.. im a ford guy ill admitt but have always loved the LS1 F-bodys.. my first mod is probably gonna be around a 3200 stall as its gonna be a DD. i guess my main question is do i need a custom dyno tune or will a frost mail order work just as well? also im under the impression that the tune will firm up the shifts so how imortant is a shiftkit? thanks for helping out a noob

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, Frost can most likely hook you up but your best bet is to PM him and talk to him about it. I don't want to put words in his mouth. The thing about tranny tuning is there is a certain amount of it that is driver preference. Some guys like the shifts to bang and others just want them firm or barely firm so there's some interpretation there.
    What are your long term goals with the car? The reason I ask is I wouldn't be afraid to DD a 35-3600 stall. I have a 3500 in mine and could easily DD the car. If you plan on a sizeable cam in the future go ahead and get your stall for it now.
    A shift kit isn't a bad way to go but if you go the shift kit route you'll want to make Frost aware of it so he doesn't raise your line pressures in the tune. I've ran several years now without a shift kit and just have the line pressures raised.

Dark blue/ Green
    02 ss 35th/99 z28 camaros

I am in the same boat sold my stang and some parts and got a 02 ss 35th a4 and am putting in a 3600 vigalantie stall with a tune but there is some discussions on here that say u dont allways have to get a stall tuned not sure though

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by wicked87svo View Post
    I am in the same boat sold my stang and some parts and got a 02 ss 35th a4 and am putting in a 3600 vigalantie stall with a tune but there is some discussions on here that say u dont allways have to get a stall tuned not sure though
    I know people say that but there has to be a very small percentage of people that go to a decent size stall and not need a tune. When I put my 3500 in I was banging the limiter and stalling when shifting from park to reverse and things like that. Not too mention the p0300 codes that'll cause the stall to lock/unlock randomly. In other words, plan on the stall and consider yourself one of the few that didn't need it if you don't.

black
    01 camaro SS

cool thanks for the replies.. i dont plan on a cam anytime soon, just bolt ons for now. so i guess yank is the brand of choice around here? there just pricey as hell i see! I guess u get what u pay for..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by darkside01 View Post
    cool thanks for the replies.. i dont plan on a cam anytime soon, just bolt ons for now. so i guess yank is the brand of choice around here? there just pricey as hell i see! I guess u get what u pay for..
    yank and vigilante.....both about the same price and both have their followers.

black
    01 camaro SS

a little off topic but i noticed some slight spark knocking under WOT when test driving the car.. the car has 84K on it so i'm guessing it just needs some regular maintenance done to it such as plugs and maybe wires. or possibly bad gas? any other things it could possibly be i should look out for?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by darkside01 View Post
    a little off topic but i noticed some slight spark knocking under WOT when test driving the car.. the car has 84K on it so i'm guessing it just needs some regular maintenance done to it such as plugs and maybe wires. or possibly bad gas? any other things it could possibly be i should look out for?

Here is a great thread posted by Hi-Po on what to look for: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118628

Thread Information