2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Stall size with 2.73s

Ok first off i do a lot of hwy driving so im a fan of the 2.73s lol. assuming i kept the gears stock what size stall could i use while keeping the car as a dd. I was looking at a yank 3600 with a 2.5 str as ive heard a 4k is too much for 2.73s/ anyone currently running a stall with stock gears?
    thanks Dan-

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Personally I would run a 3200 with that rear. Bigger will make it really mushy below stall speed. I run a yank SS3600 with 3.23's and sometimes find it annoying...... but it is totally worth it when I put the hammer down

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I run a 3800 with my stock 3:23s, love it.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

out of curiosity what rpms does it take to get your cars moving around with traffic rpms wise.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I use to run a 3500 with my 2.73's. I keep telling myself to go back to that setup.. It was a very very fun car to drive.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Thanks thats what I wanted to hear lol. How much did it take to get the car moving with traffic were u revving to 3k off every stoplight. If you have any links post up lol

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

also what brand of converter/ str rate??

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Thanks thats what I wanted to hear lol. How much did it take to get the car moving with traffic were u revving to 3k off every stoplight. If you have any links post up lol
    LoL no just drive it like normal. It will take a week or 2 to get use to. Once you do you will say the car should have come that way.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Ok thanks do u remember by any chance how many rpms more or less u had to use to take off and keep up with traffic my biggest thing is I ddont wanna go that big and be spinning 3000 rpms just to leave a stoplight. Thanks guys for all the suggestions

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Ok thanks do u remember by any chance how many rpms more or less u had to use to take off and keep up with traffic my biggest thing is I ddont wanna go that big and be spinning 3000 rpms just to leave a stoplight. Thanks guys for all the suggestions
    You aren't going to be spinning 3000 rpms to leave a stoplight. You really won't notice much difference in rpms to leave from a light. If you are worried about it, find a buddy who has a stall in the range you are looking at and see if he will let you drive it to get a feel for it. Its not much difference though.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    You aren't going to be spinning 3000 rpms to leave a stoplight. You really won't notice much difference in rpms to leave from a light. If you are worried about it, find a buddy who has a stall in the range you are looking at and see if he will let you drive it to get a feel for it. Its not much difference though.
    Agreed you need to drive a stalled car to get your best opinion about it.. No you do not leave at 3000 rpms... You should start rolling around 1200/1400 rpm. But that is not true for all stalls. I tend not stall or leave a street light at 3500 rpm. I just DRIVE IT LIKE normal. With a stall you can stall its rpm and then go. But I will tell you this, at the track I never take my 4000 stall to 4000 rpm at the stagging lights.. I do stall it.. But I took the time to find the best stall rpm... FYI I did not start at 4000 rpm and bring it down. I started at a much better lower stall speed and moved up.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 01-14-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I have 3.42 gears, but I've been curious about all this as well. Not too long ago I posted in the internal engine thread about installing a 224/224 .581/.581 116LSA cam and everyone told me it would be near impossible to drive it without a bigger stall. A sales Rep from Texas Speed and the guy installing the cam said I should be just fine with the factory stall. Hell the guy doing the install said you can actually go to a 228 and stay with the factory stall. I thought about a Yank 3000, but I got no response. I never could find anyone around were I live with a stalled auto although I know there's bound to be someone around.

I know this is a bad reference but I heard a stalled camaro on youtube that kinda sounded like a stick when it took off at a normal roll because the RPMs came up before it started to lock up so you heard the motor bog a little when it came under load. When he would brake torque the sucker it would raise the RPMs up. Then once he let off the brake it would roast the tires for days until he lifted the gas

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    I have 3.42 gears, but I've been curious about all this as well. Not too long ago I posted in the internal engine thread about installing a 224/224 .581/.581 116LSA cam and everyone told me it would be near impossible to drive it without a bigger stall. A sales Rep from Texas Speed and the guy installing the cam said I should be just fine with the factory stall. Hell the guy doing the install said you can actually go to a 228 and stay with the factory stall. I thought about a Yank 3000, but I got no response. I never could find anyone around were I live with a stalled auto although I know there's bound to be someone around.

I know this is a bad reference but I heard a stalled camaro on youtube that kinda sounded like a stick when it took off at a normal roll because the RPMs came up before it started to lock up so you heard the motor bog a little when it came under load. When he would brake torque the sucker it would raise the RPMs up. Then once he let off the brake it would roast the tires for days until he lifted the gas
    You dirve a stall lets say 3000 or bigger. IMO you can drive it normal. Yes it does not roll as quick as a factory stall. But nothing close to 3000/3500/4000 etc. Can you stall it at a TRACK.. 231/237 skinnys and slicks... And get a dead hook ypu. The rpms drop quick but come back to stall speed at the 60'. I guess it all depends what you looking at a stall to do... For me it is to drop my 60' at the track. Can you race a stall on the street... Heck yes ... Can you run skinnys and slicks on the street hell yes.. You just need heat in the slicks... I do not street race... 11 second times for me are at the track.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Thanks guys a 3600 stall would be good for me i think as I dont wanna start too low and have to move up. Ive been trying to find someone with a similiar setup near me to take a ride but no luck.... I do know someone with 3.73 and a 3600 though the take off should be similiar should it not?
    Thanks Dan-

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks guys a 3600 stall would be good for me i think as I dont wanna start too low and have to move up. Ive been trying to find someone with a similiar setup near me to take a ride but no luck.... I do know someone with 3.73 and a 3600 though the take off should be similiar should it not?
    Thanks Dan-
    There is quite a bit of difference between 3:73s and 2:73s, but I would go drive his car if he is willing to let you. At the very least, it would give you an idea of how a stall feels and what you can expect.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Hey guys sorry to bring this back up but I'm still doing some research for a stall and I keep getting conflicting answers for stall str's. I know the higher str will hit harder and turn better 60' when punched but my question is does a higher str make the converter feel more loose ie. slip more in gear and takes more rpms to get the car moving with traffic or does a lower str rate make the converter feel more loose in traffic.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

It wont roll away at the light with out giving it gas. Your going to be turning more rpms by like 1/3 of the stall speed but that varys but how much throtle you give it. more pedel more rpms untill stall speed. Stock your converter is like 1650 so if you go 2200 to 2800 you will fall in love with it and want more stall speed. LS1 cars respond very well to higher stall because they make thier power well above idel. You will love it. I thought the same way as you with my LT1 car and went with only like 2200 and now I want more. I want like a 2500 and I will want more after that lol.

Pewter
    99 Z28 A4

The 3600 is fine, but I would go a tad higher, like a 3800 or 4000. LS1s love big converters.

Lower str makes the converter feel looser, but are "usually" more efficient up top depending on the brand/make.

The 2.73 gear will actually help you traction wise if you do alot of racing from a dig.

Thread Information