Results 1 to 10 of 10

stall question.. LOCK UP or no lock up whats the difference?

This is a discussion on stall question.. LOCK UP or no lock up whats the difference? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; whats the diff. have a 02 stock z soon w NX and is bascailly a daily driver if that helps....

  1. #1
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    stall question.. LOCK UP or no lock up whats the difference?

    whats the diff. have a 02 stock z soon w NX and is bascailly a daily driver if that helps.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    get lock up unless you want to kill your gas mileage

  3. #3
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    a non-lockup convertor will also build more heat. Lock up is definitely the way to go.

  4. #4
    Pontiac Addict 01RaptorTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,296

    Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

    Ok, im sorry, but i have to play the idiot here...what is a lock up?

  5. #5
    Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,097

    Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

    Quote Originally Posted by 01RaptorTA View Post
    Ok, im sorry, but i have to play the idiot here...what is a lock up?
    there is a lock up clutch in your trans that will lock your stall convertor instead of letting it slip to its stall rating. I dont know if i described that very well but thats the best I can do lol

  6. #6
    Junior Member ken harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    FLORDIA
    Posts
    42

    red
    1999 transam

    get the lock-up

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    29 palms
    Posts
    404

    black
    2000 pontiac TA vert

    I have driven both and I can definitly say if your gonna drive on the street get the lock up converter

  8. #8
    Mrs.'s Boobies
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Age
    44
    Posts
    197

    Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    there is a lock up clutch in your trans that will lock your stall convertor instead of letting it slip to its stall rating. I dont know if i described that very well but thats the best I can do lol
    Good try, but not exactly.

    A torque converter has a clutch like (albeit smaller then) a manual. It is located at the front cover, towards the engine of the converter. Upon meeting certain calibration parameters from the ECM (for electronically controlled trans), the transmission is signaled to apply fluid through the input shaft to the torque converter clutch (TCC). This hydraulically/pmechanically locks the engine and trans input shaft together. This dramatically reduces heat and allows the engine to have a lower rpms for any given MPH, resulting in better fuel economy. Unles you are strictly drag racing, you are best suited to go with a lock-up style converter. Most aftermarket companies that mak converters for the LSx market will only build a nonlock-up unit on a custom order. Off the shelf models will have the TCC.
    George P. Lara
    Mine 2001 Camaro SS #0391: FQuick Garage
    Mrs.'s 2002 Camaro SS #7072: FQuick Garage

  9. #9
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    thanks for the deep details, finally understand fully

  10. #10
    Pontiac Addict 01RaptorTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,296

    Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    Good try, but not exactly.

    A torque converter has a clutch like (albeit smaller then) a manual. It is located at the front cover, towards the engine of the converter. Upon meeting certain calibration parameters from the ECM (for electronically controlled trans), the transmission is signaled to apply fluid through the input shaft to the torque converter clutch (TCC). This hydraulically/pmechanically locks the engine and trans input shaft together. This dramatically reduces heat and allows the engine to have a lower rpms for any given MPH, resulting in better fuel economy. Unles you are strictly drag racing, you are best suited to go with a lock-up style converter. Most aftermarket companies that mak converters for the LSx market will only build a nonlock-up unit on a custom order. Off the shelf models will have the TCC.
    Thanks for that little explaination, definitely helped.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. VATS bypass/ignition cylinder lock question
    By mezzoni in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 07:43 PM
  2. SLP Line Lock Question
    By SMWS6TA in forum General Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM
  3. difference between ign lock cyl and tumbler?
    By flyinlo28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM
  4. tranny,lock up/no lock up.................
    By NEXSTAR7 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
  5. question about door lock knobs
    By enthashyt in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 01:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •