Black
    '99 SS

Stall Converter - Help

My understanding of a stall converter:

You can rev your engine and it wont go into gear untill you hit a certain RPM... but when you do hit that RPM your GONE.

If I am wrong could anyone set me right? Also, is there such thing as a stall converter that is usuable on the street? Possibly a stall converter that has a remote On/Off switch? On if I'm tearing up the track and Off if I'm driving around town.

thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot, what is the difference between a torque converter and a stall converter?
    Last edited by Tonik; 04-16-2006 at 04:51 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

not like that at all. if you know how a centrifugal clutch works, it's like that. the car will move with normal acceleration. it'll just allow the engine to operate at a higher rpm based on the amount of stall (IE 3500 rpms) you have. the yank py3400e i have on my 00 formula works like this. under normal acceleration it'll flash to around 2200 rpms and move. the more aggressive the throttle input, the higher it will go. at WOT from a standstill, it'll flash to 3400 rpms. as it's getting to 3400 rpms, the car will start moving, just slower than it would with a stock converter.

sorry, no on/off switches.

stall converter and torque converter are the same.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23
    under normal acceleration it'll flash to around 2200 rpms and move. the more aggressive the throttle input, the higher it will go. at WOT from a standstill, it'll flash to 3400 rpms. as it's getting to 3400 rpms, the car will start moving, just slower than it would with a stock converter.

ok, i think im getting it, but what do ou mean by.. "it'll flash to around 2200 rpms " it'll jump straigh up to 2200rpms? and if so... doesnt that mean you'll be jumping off pretty fast? what about in bumper to bumper traffic? what stops the wheels from spinning/burnning out?

thanks for the help mrr23

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you'll still move like normal. the way you do now. the engine will be at a higher rpm while doing it. it's not a sudden tire shredding thing. not like having a manual car and dumping the clutch. right now your car will instantly want to move just by letting off the brake pedal. not so, with a higher stall converter. it will either creep forward or not move at all until you apply some throttle from a stop. by having the motor at a higher rpm, you'll be putting more power to the wheels. the benefits of a higher stall are more at WOT than normal day to day drving.

think of it like this. you put your foot on the brake and powerbrake your car. the tires star spinning at around 1800 rpm or so "just a guess", now with a 3500 stall the tires want start spinning untill around 3500 rpm. the exact rpm depends on tire stikiness, suspension and horsepower and torque the car is making. note thats why most stalls say either 3000-3200, or 3500-3800. also when you take your foot off the brake the car will idle forward at a much lower speed untill you hit the gas.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Have you ever had a tranny that slipped? It feels like that only it's supposed to. The difference is when you lay into the throttle the car becomes a beast.

Thread Information