Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Should I change out my stock transmission mount?

This is a discussion on Should I change out my stock transmission mount? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Ya, that is something I've complained about on these aftermarket poly mounts. Not only does the ...

white

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya, that is something I've complained about on these aftermarket poly mounts. Not only does the plate they come with raise the trans up too far, but the mounts themselves are also made slightly thicker than a rubber mount by 1/8 inch. The plate adds another 1/8 inch. 1/4 inch change in drive line angles is huge, and can definately give you vibration fits. Not to mention it's hard on your output shaft bushing and seal, eventually will cause leaks when that bushing prematurely wears.

When I first tried one,,,I had the same issues as you mentioned, alot of vibration. I removed the plate to try first, and that got rid of 90% of the vibrations. This might do it for you.

But I ended up removing the mount and sanding another 1/8 inch off and reinstalling to get the trans back to it's original height.

i know the shaft is not even straight cause trans is too high up i dont think this is a good idea but im goin to try removing the plate and hopefully bring the tranny down a little otherwise im goin back to stock mount i rather change the mount then the shaft seals or the bushings

white

Ya, that is something I've complained about on these aftermarket poly mounts. Not only does the plate they come with raise the trans up too far, but the mounts themselves are also made slightly thicker than a rubber mount by 1/8 inch. The plate adds another 1/8 inch. 1/4 inch change in drive line angles is huge, and can definately give you vibration fits. Not to mention it's hard on your output shaft bushing and seal, eventually will cause leaks when that bushing prematurely wears.

When I first tried one,,,I had the same issues as you mentioned, alot of vibration. I removed the plate to try first, and that got rid of 90% of the vibrations. This might do it for you.

But I ended up removing the mount and sanding another 1/8 inch off and reinstalling to get the trans back to it's original height.

or maybe put some spacers in the crossmember??? like 1/2 inch to bring the trans to the original height?? what do u think??

Yes you can space the crossmember down as well to compensate,,,it won't take much.

You'll have to put the stock mount in,,,and take some measurements. Then install the poly mount and see where you are at.

I know mine was exactly 1/4 inch difference (with the plate installed). The plate is 1/8 inch thick and that took care of half of it.
    If you don't want to sand or mill the mount like I did,,,some simple washers to space the cross member down would do the trick.

white

Yes you can space the crossmember down as well to compensate,,,it won't take much.

You'll have to put the stock mount in,,,and take some measurements. Then install the poly mount and see where you are at.

I know mine was exactly 1/4 inch difference (with the plate installed). The plate is 1/8 inch thick and that took care of half of it.
    If you don't want to sand or mill the mount like I did,,,some simple washers to space the cross member down would do the trick.
    good idea im goin to do that thanks

white

Quote Originally Posted by TOMASINO View Post
    good idea im goin to do that thanks

im tryin to find a stock trans mount but looks like, local auto parts dont carry them anymore where can i find them dealer only??

white
    2000 camaro z28

I have 245 45 17 street radials and do burnouts maybe every week or two. Car is 2.73 and completely stock except for catback exhaust. How often will a 14 dollar 700r4 cheapo last? Any takers or past experiences?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information