Thread: Shift Problem.

turquoise
    1995 Firebird

Shift Problem.

Well, i have this problem shifting my car from park, its a 95 firebird and only when its cold the car will not come out of park no matter how hard you press on the brakes, and when it does come from park, its kinda hard to shift back into park, my girlfriend owns a 03 sunfire and she says she has the same problem usally only when its cold, but its been doing it alot now because its been cold as **** here in ohio. but i was woundering if this a big problem or is this something that was common in some pontiacs...can someone help me with this.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Mine will do the same thing except it's hard to put it into R. When it's really cold it is a little tough to get into 1-3. I'm in a manual by the way. So all I do is give it a little gas in neutral and let it warm up a little first and then it works just fine.

Since you're an auto. Just let it sit for a little while (couple min) when you first start her up. Should help.

If there is something else going on with our cars, please let both of us know.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Dude in temps that cold you would be doing yourself and your car a favor by going out and starting your car and then going back inside for 8 minutes or so. The only other thing I suggest is checking your trans fluid-make sure its full (check it after you run the car for 20+ miles -it should be up to the "hot" line on the stick) and make sure its not dark/dirty looking-if it is get it changed w/ a new filter.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Easy for you to do. Manual = No Trans Fluid Stick.

Gotta climb under and remove fill plug and check that way. Ugh!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Yeah that kinda blows. I didnt realize you had a stick. A stick doesnt usually not wanna go in gear from the cold from my experience but then again where I live doesnt get below 50 degrees usually. After the car warms its fine though? If so you solved your own problem. Good luck.

turquoise
    1995 Firebird

this isnt a shift problem but i need some help with this one, well, my car sucks gas bad, like its a v12 im jus woundering what causes this to drain gas, i drive the speed limit i dont floor it, i just had oil changed new filters transmission changed with new filters, the only thing i can think of is that my fuel lines and pump need to be cleaned out, if there is any other things please let me know cuase i spend almost $75-$90 in gas within 1-2weeks and thats not really driving anywhere, and if there is something that i can put into the gas tank that will clean my system id like to know so i wont have to go to a shop or somewhere and it be like $200.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 95Fyrebyrd View Post
    this isnt a shift problem but i need some help with this one, well, my car sucks gas bad, like its a v12 im jus woundering what causes this to drain gas, i drive the speed limit i dont floor it, i just had oil changed new filters transmission changed with new filters, the only thing i can think of is that my fuel lines and pump need to be cleaned out, if there is any other things please let me know cuase i spend almost $75-$90 in gas within 1-2weeks and thats not really driving anywhere, and if there is something that i can put into the gas tank that will clean my system id like to know so i wont have to go to a shop or somewhere and it be like $200.
    FIRST- figure out your gas milage so you know exactly how many MPG you are getting.
    NEXT- look for leaks-follow the fuel line and return fuel line-inspect every inch for holes, loose connections etc- look at the filter and make sure the lines didnt come loos a little bit. Also try to smell around for gas fuems.
    THEN- Check for a pinhole in the tank.
    ALSO- Do you have any mods done to the car like headers etc.? Some mods may cause a car to run a bit rich therefore burning gas. I have also read that a MAF sensor that is going bad can cause a ls1 to eat gas like a mf. Good luck-look for the simplest things first.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 02-03-2008 at 01:22 AM.

Thread Information