Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

shift kit worth it?

This is a discussion on shift kit worth it? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Oops Double Post...

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

Oops Double Post

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    went to trans go website and learned more. Sounds like a great idea--claims to fix some common probs; many of which i've experienced even after the rebuild. (ex--hard 1-2 shift, lag when shifting between R and D).

LS2Tuner--I'm confused. I went to your link and what you describe seems to be what a 'reprogramming kit' does which seems different from a shift kit. Can someone outline the differences between what the 2 do for you?

All of the advice in this thread tends to suggest that shift kits reduce slipping and heat and extend life--and i'm sure you're right; i know very little about this and am trying to understand. What i just read explained that a reprogramming kit would do all of that; nothing like that mentioned with shift kits alone. And on the trans go reprogramming kit for our cars it says that on cars with torque management it will not firm up shifts. Help me (us) understand better??
    First off the "Reprogramming Kit" is a more complete kit then a common "shift kit" that just boosts line pressure and give you a firmer spring.
    Your running on a stock tune right now?
    Your Tq Management should be turned almost off or 100% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Calstud86 View Post
    Here's my questions on this shift kit matter....

1. How "annoying" will my shifts be in my DD? Will i start to hate the firmness of the shifts? Will a date think my car is falling apart?
    2. How long would it take a novice to install the kit?
    3. If I install a shift kit, will tuning the tranny with a programmer do anything to it? Am I better off tuning the tranny as opposed to installing a shift kit?

Mostly i'm worried about how a DD will feel just going to the grocery store and back. I dont need to chirp the tires in front of a cop, lol.
    There is different levels you can set it up as when installing. You could make it to where you would barely know it was installed until a full throttle blast.

Yes you can firm up the shifts and rpms with a reprogramming. But the ECU can only change hyd. pressure and actuation not spring rates and hyd volume.

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMoss View Post
    1. Not at all during normal driving it is almost as smooth as stock. No you will grow to want them firmer. I dont think so I have never had anyone say anything. or even notice.
    2. It took me 6 hours in my driveway on jackstands, I would find a friend or someone to help you.
    3. When you tune the tranny with the pcm you can get pretty much the same results but I have heard that doing it with a shift kit is safer and better for your transmission.

My car is my DD and I am more happy with the way it shifts now after installing the TransGo HD2 shift kit. You will only chirp the tires if you are wide open.

And with my shift kit you can control how firm the non wide open shifts are with these spacers that go in the 2nd gear accumulator. So depending on how many spacers you put the partial throttle shifts will be firmer with more and softer with less. I only put one in because it is my DD.
    Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the answers!

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

fellas, you rock!!! thanks a lot!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Here's my questions on this shift kit matter....

1. How "annoying" will my shifts be in my DD? Will i start to hate the firmness of the shifts? Will a date think my car is falling apart?
    2. How long would it take a novice to install the kit?
    3. If I install a shift kit, will tuning the tranny with a programmer do anything to it? Am I better off tuning the tranny as opposed to installing a shift kit?

Mostly i'm worried about how a DD will feel just going to the grocery store and back. I dont need to chirp the tires in front of a cop, lol.
    If it is a good trans shop they will install a pressure guage and command the solenoids with a scan tool and see what the pressure is and can adjust from there.
    Many half ass shops will just adjust the plunger on the pressure solenoid to increase line pressure which firms up the shifts also.
    It isn't worth the time and frustration for me to attempt this on my back in the garage or driveway. Spend the money tell them the how you want it to shift. If it is not how you like it when you come back to get it tell them and it will get adjusted. Also you need a parts washer to clean the valve body and pan too.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

The TransGo Performance Shift kit, if setup the way that I do them will keep the shifts smooth at part throttle, and the shifts getting firmer with more throttle. The shifts should be fairly quick but not too firm at light to medium throttle openings. Quick shifts are all that are needed. Firm shifts where you break loose the tires should only happen with the torque/horsepower you are making, not how hard you can make the transmission shift. A properly accumulated 1-2 & 2-3 shift is always easier on a transmission in terms of longevity, than a non-accumulated or very limited accumulated shift. Firm part throttle shifts get annoying, can be dangerous, hard on the geartrain, etc., and the biggest reason, women hate it when they are riding with you.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics View Post
    The TransGo Performance Shift kit, if setup the way that I do them will keep the shifts smooth at part throttle, and the shifts getting firmer with more throttle. The shifts should be fairly quick but not too firm at light to medium throttle openings. Quick shifts are all that are needed. Firm shifts where you break loose the tires should only happen with the torque/horsepower you are making, not how hard you can make the transmission shift. A properly accumulated 1-2 & 2-3 shift is always easier on a transmission in terms of longevity, than a non-accumulated or very limited accumulated shift. Firm part throttle shifts get annoying, can be dangerous, hard on the geartrain, etc., and the biggest reason, women hate it when they are riding with you.
    So any idea of a shop i can get this done near me? Where are you? I'm in LA, near hollywood.

Call Harry at 818 9081746, & leave a message. He is in the Glendale area. He has a dyno shop and should be able to do this. Dana

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

What's the diff. between these two, besides the price?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post

Click for full size

Click for full size
    +1 ... ???

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    +1 ... ???
    +1??

I saw both on e-bay yesterday... but dont know which to buy? do both have that PWM thing?? lol...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    +1 ... ???
    +1??

I saw both on e-bay yesterday... but dont know which to buy? do both have that PWM thing?? lol...
    Post some part numbers and I'll tell you the difference.

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Post some part numbers and I'll tell you the difference.
    4L60E

4L60E-HD2

Those are the part numbers, respectively.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

4L60E

4L60E-HD2

Those are the part numbers, respectively.
    The SK4L60E is just a "shift kit" and doesn't do as many mods as the "reprogrammer kit". Here is there description. "Corrects/Prevents/Reduces: FIXES Code 1870 Trouble light & Hard 1-2 shift. No lockup or 4th. Fixes harmonic bounce that wears out pump and valves and causes shuttle shifts. Fwd and L/R clutch burnup; 1-2 bump; double bump; slide-bump.Has new design Isolator/Conv Valve that works Perfect in worn bore w/o special tools or machining. Lets you build real winners
    Easy and Fast."

The 4L60E-HD2 kit description "Crisp muscle car or full race shifts. Puts the driver in command. Holds 1st, 2nd, 3rd to any speed.
    Backshifts to 3rd, 2nd & 1st by moving the lever.."
    Here is also a installation video link for you from TransGo. http://www.transgo.com/video.php

This page has some nice graphs to help you see the changes made by the complete kit. http://www.txchange.com/transgo.htm

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Thanks everyone for all the great info!

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Your running on a stock tune right now?
    Your Tq Management should be turned almost off or 100% off.
    yes, stock tune as far as i know.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the great info!

yes, stock tune as far as i know.
    No problem here to help.
    Not familiar with Tyler but if you have a good tuners around there I would put the Re-Programmer kit it and get it tuned. Get that Tq Man. deleted! God you'll be sooooo happy it will be night and day difference. Just in regular driving.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

So you guys are saying the the 4L60E-HD2 is the way to go, since you have more options to tweak the tranny?

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

So you guys are saying the the 4L60E-HD2 is the way to go, since you have more options to tweak the tranny?
    Yes sir that is the complete kit.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

thanks LS2Tuner!!

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Why does the HD2 kit cost less than the other kit, if it's the "complete kit" ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information