Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

shift kit worth it?

This is a discussion on shift kit worth it? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; sweeeeeeeet. i have mine, i just havent had time to install it. it seems like its gonna be a bitch... ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

sweeeeeeeet.
    i have mine, i just havent had time to install it. it seems like its gonna be a bitch...

i dont want to get 5 hours into a project thats way over my head and be like "fuck it" and give up... plus i dont want my car on jackstands for days...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss View Post
    why not mount it through the radiator?
    Because it is VERY hard on the radiator!! Make some brakets out of alum. strap you can get at Lowes or Homedepot. It will work alot better by not having mounted to the radiator also!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

i have been thinking about getting a shift kit for my lt1 camaro(94 z28) everything i have read has said it would be worth it to get a shift kit, but aren't there other ways to improve shifts and save time at the strip. a shift kit just seems like the easy way out on it. i don't know though.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

What about this?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...4588175951d764

Its only electronic, but would still have smoother shifting for a dd.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    What about this?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...4588175951d764

Its only electronic, but would still have smoother shifting for a dd.
    should work, i firmed my shifts up with my hypertech programmer with a noticeable effect. "shift kit light" so to speak.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird99 View Post
    im not the best person to answer i think but if that is the one that sells on summit for 129.99 then it's a pretty good one. i don't really know though. that looks like it.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes that is the best in my opion. Most tranny shops will only use TransGo kits unless you carry in your own for them to install. One of my close friends ownes a tranny shop and he swears by them.
    This is also the better kit they offer a less complete one also that is cheaper.
    Buy it you'll love the increasr in shift firmness.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yep.. have a TransGo in mine as well.. and I LOVE it! Just wish I would have put it in BEFORE the stall, so I would have known what it was like.. but oh well.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Well almost all later model trannys will shift automatically even if you have it in first they will shift out after a while at high rpm.

So what I mean is when you manually shift it into first it will hold it in first until you shift it. The same with second.
    A lot of TransGo kits will also make it so if you shift it into second it will take off in second unless you down shift to first or place it back in drive or O/D.
    do our cars not already do both of these? Mine does and i don't believe i have a shift kit. it holds first or second if put there until it is shifted (unlike the grand prix i had before it) and also starts in second if placed in second; but i believe i remember reading about that in the owner manual. Also have a very firm 1-2 shift. Had the tranny rebuilt 1.5 ago and didn't install a shift kit and one was not mentioned. Just curious if all of this is normal for the stock trans??? a shift kit would make it even firmer??? Don't know that i'd like that--sometimes shifts so hard 1-2 part throttle that it jerks my foot out the gas...

Blue
    1995 Camaro

I use Trans go on all the 4L60E Trannys that I build.

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

That is the one that i bought. Worked great and i love it. Nice firm shifts.

Also it is not to difficult to install if you are patient and careful about what you do.

white
    94 camaro z28

well i decided to get the transgo kit from summit. i will have it by next tuesday. i'll put it in the next time i have a chance

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    Yep.. have a TransGo in mine as well.. and I LOVE it! Just wish I would have put it in BEFORE the stall, so I would have known what it was like.. but oh well.
    my bro has a transgo in his 95 impala SS... it made a WORLD of difference... he loves it and swears by it...

Once you get the kit, get a hold of me and I will tell you how to modify the kit to do even more for your particular application. Dana

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert

Somebody straighten me out here. There are a lot of posts about shift kits increasing tranny life / longevity. How exactly is a shift kit increasing tranny life? It may reduce friction with the firmer faster shifts - but it also bangs harder on the internals (not to mention driveshaft and rearend) even during regular driving. I can see that there is a performance improvement - but I just can't imagine longevity being increased.

Now the aux cooler - I don't believe that is even an arguement.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by scottso View Post
    Somebody straighten me out here. There are a lot of posts about shift kits increasing tranny life / longevity. How exactly is a shift kit increasing tranny life? It may reduce friction with the firmer faster shifts - but it also bangs harder on the internals (not to mention driveshaft and rearend) even during regular driving. I can see that there is a performance improvement - but I just can't imagine longevity being increased.

Now the aux cooler - I don't believe that is even an argument.
    Here is a brief explanation. Read the whole page and you will learn some more info also.
    Trannys #1 enemy is heat! The internals of the trans. are NOT banging they are clutches that are hydraulically applied and NOT slipping. Yes is you have a weak U-joint you might find it. The rear end yes it's hard also but nitrous hole shot are way more stress.

"The stock automatic takes longer to complete each shift. Points A to B, Figure 1 show only mild acceleration. During this period only a partial power condition exists because the friction elements are slipping.
    This extended slipping time prevents the inertial energy from being efficiently utilized. It is lost in the form of heat on the clutches and bands, instead of being utilized for forward motion. Continually operating a stock automatic at full throttle will cause early friction element failure.

To get high performance and improved durability in an automatic, we must improve the way it executes every shift."

http://www.txchange.com/transgo.htm

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

went to trans go website and learned more. Sounds like a great idea--claims to fix some common probs; many of which i've experienced even after the rebuild. (ex--hard 1-2 shift, lag when shifting between R and D).

LS2Tuner--I'm confused. I went to your link and what you describe seems to be what a 'reprogramming kit' does which seems different from a shift kit. Can someone outline the differences between what the 2 do for you?

All of the advice in this thread tends to suggest that shift kits reduce slipping and heat and extend life--and i'm sure you're right; i know very little about this and am trying to understand. What i just read explained that a reprogramming kit would do all of that; nothing like that mentioned with shift kits alone. And on the trans go reprogramming kit for our cars it says that on cars with torque management it will not firm up shifts. Help me (us) understand better??

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Here's my questions on this shift kit matter....

1. How "annoying" will my shifts be in my DD? Will i start to hate the firmness of the shifts? Will a date think my car is falling apart?
    2. How long would it take a novice to install the kit?
    3. If I install a shift kit, will tuning the tranny with a programmer do anything to it? Am I better off tuning the tranny as opposed to installing a shift kit?

Mostly i'm worried about how a DD will feel just going to the grocery store and back. I dont need to chirp the tires in front of a cop, lol.

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Calstud86 View Post
    Here's my questions on this shift kit matter....

1. How "annoying" will my shifts be in my DD? Will i start to hate the firmness of the shifts? Will a date think my car is falling apart?
    2. How long would it take a novice to install the kit?
    3. If I install a shift kit, will tuning the tranny with a programmer do anything to it? Am I better off tuning the tranny as opposed to installing a shift kit?

Mostly i'm worried about how a DD will feel just going to the grocery store and back. I dont need to chirp the tires in front of a cop, lol.
    1. Not at all during normal driving it is almost as smooth as stock. No you will grow to want them firmer. I dont think so I have never had anyone say anything. or even notice.
    2. It took me 6 hours in my driveway on jackstands, I would find a friend or someone to help you.
    3. When you tune the tranny with the pcm you can get pretty much the same results but I have heard that doing it with a shift kit is safer and better for your transmission.

My car is my DD and I am more happy with the way it shifts now after installing the TransGo HD2 shift kit. You will only chirp the tires if you are wide open.

And with my shift kit you can control how firm the non wide open shifts are with these spacers that go in the 2nd gear accumulator. So depending on how many spacers you put the partial throttle shifts will be firmer with more and softer with less. I only put one in because it is my DD.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information