Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

shift kit ruining u joints?

This is a discussion on shift kit ruining u joints? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; It's easier on the clutch packs but harder on the rods...

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It's easier on the clutch packs but harder on the rods

white

I've heard more about clutch packs and bands going out than rods so I guess thats a plus ?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I don't know the weak points of the 4l60e (I should). Either way it's a chance to get intimate w/ the car.

white

true. I guess I'll find out tonight

white

I started doing the shift kit and am a little lost.
    There is no video that came in the kit and the instructions don't show almost anything other than the order things go in.
    I figured out how to get the 2-4 servo cap off after a few hours of trying to find out the shaft hits the body before it comes out..
    Does the transmission have to be pulled to do this or am I missing something? I found a video to download from transgo but its still not done downloading after 6 hours.
    I've been searching around and can't find anything other than some how to videos on youtube but they don't say if it can be done with the trans in the car.
    If the transmission does have to be pulled, would it be possible to leave this step out for a couple months so I can wait to do my stall at the same time?
    Thanks in advance and for all your help so far

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I never installed one, I have a jensen healy w/ a 307 and a 700r4 w/ a shift kit and I can say I don't want one in my dd
    I believe the hd2 is the newer version so you still get to pick shift firmness.
    I hope you realize most folks have no clue what a Jensen Healy is.

Or do you have an Interceptor? They came with a Chrysler 383 or 440 depending on year.

OTOH, I do. Nice sports car with an American drivetrain. Is that an Olds or Chevy 307?
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 04-10-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling and additional info

white

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    No. I'm trying to find out if it can be done with the transmission in the car.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I hope you realize most folks have no clue what a Jensen Healy is.

Or do you have an Interceptor? They came with a Chrysler 383 or 440 depending on year.

OTOH, I do. Nice sports car with an American drivetrain. Is that an Olds or Chevy 307?
    W/ only 10k in the U.S i'm not surprised. Yep the jensen healy w/ the lotus 904 motor in it. Yellow 74 ugly rubber bumper has the 904, and the red 73 has a chevy 307 in it. We used to think it was a 305 from the guy it was bought off of but according to the vin it is a 307.

Not mine but so you know I know haha

Quote Originally Posted by pk222 View Post
    No. I'm trying to find out if it can be done with the transmission in the car.
    they are done w/ the transmission in the car
    Last edited by c5z28; 04-10-2010 at 09:50 PM.

white

How do I get the 2/4 servo shaft out? I got the cap and first and second pistons out but the shaft hits the body before it can be pulled out all the way. Does it come out as a whole assembly or does it break down more?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

have you tried unbolting the trans crossmember and tilting the transmission down? That might give you more room but if you do that be careful.

white

I haven't tried it
    I don't know if that would work it doesn't look like it would do anything unless the trans came all the way out because the tunnel of the car sits a couple inches below it.

silver
    2000 formula

the video is on their website...they use 2 put it in the package but i guess they got cheap.......to get at the servo i had to take off the tranny cross member and sway it toward drivers side with a 2x4..that will give u just enough room to get it out......i found out that my tranny already had the corvette servo and the corvette spring in the servo....u might be better off jus slapping in 1 of those gold spacer washers and calling it a day.......and take off that exhaust heat shield....it will cut u up
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 04-11-2010 at 12:20 PM.

white

I got through all of that now. I just took the c clip off and it came out. Most of its done I need to put the seperator plate and valve body back in the 2nd accumulator and take the driveshaft out to check on the spacers for the 2/4 servo.
    I should have taken this to a shop haha but its cool learning about it

silver
    2000 formula

i can do a TG SK in a hour now ..........and i did not use the TG springs in the 1-2 accumulator...the stock dual springs were fine....thier springs with the spacers make the 1-2 shift to hard IMO
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 04-11-2010 at 10:45 PM.

white

wow I'm running on probably a day and a half of working on it and its still not done haha
    I wish I knew your secret.
    I guess I'll find out how hard the shifts are tomorrow. I hope it was worth it. It shouldn't have taken nearly this long but still if I don't feel an improvement I will be pretty upset after all this work
    Do you usually use 1 or 2 shims on the 2/4 servo? I have 2 in there now and I'll find out tomorrow if it has too much drag.
    Also I'm planning a stall in the future but that wont be for a while. I'm doing the stage 2 kit for now. Will I have to pull the valve body again and drill the screen again and put the stage 3 kit in when I do the stall or should I just do the settings for that now?

silver
    2000 formula

i used 1.....if you have to use 2....me thinks your band would be pretty worn......i have done about 5 TG SK.....put em in all my cars

white

Ok. I'll find out if I need to change that tomorrow. I was thinking of just running 1 without pulling the driveshaft to check it but I don't want to be lazy lol

white

I ran 2 spacers and checked the driveshaft and it still spun fine.
    Something isn't right though. If I go more than 3/4 throttle between shifts it slips and hits the rev limiter. I'm afraid if I just hold it down it wont shift.
    Any idea what I messed up?

silver
    2000 formula

the computer determines your shift points.......and when it kicks down.....the SK just gives you improved oil flow thru the VB because of the size of the holes you drilled.....and a mechanical firmness due to the springs.....a corvette servo increases the size of the apply force area to the band...and that spring you put in the servo just softens the shift....the spacers decrease the clearance to band apply.....same as using a longer or shorter servo pin.........do you think there is really anything wrong? or is it just that the new and improved tranny is a little different than the old one?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information