Thread: Shift Kit

Cardinal Red
    1999 Trans Am

Shift Kit

Tried to do a search, but couldnt find the answers I seek...heh

I bought a 99 TA, and had some kooks headers, ORY, and cat deletes done, as well as a SLP lid. The mechanic who did the install said that I had a shift kit as I was told by the dealership. He said he retuned the computer back to factory settings and did the delete for me not having cats. He said that the previous owner had the shift pressures all screwed up. I am new to the whole shift kit thing and just want to know what benefits I have by having one?

TIA

red
    1999 camaro Z28

shift kit

A good shift kit will give you firmer shifts and somewhat reduced transmission temps. If done right it should make the transmission last longer. The reason being is that there is reduced time in between shifts, which reduces wear on frictional surfaces. The factory sets the shifts they way they do because they want smooth shifts. At the same time, if it is set to shift too hard, then it can be hard on the components. A good street shift kit is a good thing in my opinion. Also, an automatic with a shift kit (and a stall converter) is an advantage at the drag strip.

Quote Originally Posted by str8poolbanger View Post
    Tried to do a search, but couldnt find the answers I seek...heh

I bought a 99 TA, and had some kooks headers, ORY, and cat deletes done, as well as a SLP lid. The mechanic who did the install said that I had a shift kit as I was told by the dealership. He said he retuned the computer back to factory settings and did the delete for me not having cats. He said that the previous owner had the shift pressures all screwed up. I am new to the whole shift kit thing and just want to know what benefits I have by having one?

TIA

silver
    2000 formula

a shift kit that was installed? or a com tune with firmer shifts??

red
    1999 camaro Z28

I was refering to installed shift kits. The effect of a computer tune shift improvement would depend on if the tune actually shortens time between one set of clutches releasing and others engaging, or if it simply increases line pressure to get a firmer shift. Without knowing more about how the tune works, I wouldn't know. It would be a good question to ask the manufacturer of the tuning product/software.

Thread Information