Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Scared of the Auto

I am planning on buying an LS1 01-02 Z28 camaro sometime next summer.

I have heard such bad things about the 4L60E's durability, I am also hearing good. I really am on the fence on a 3.23 auto car or a T56 car. I will buy the car with 40-60K miles on it already as my budget is around 13K + TTL.

If I buy a A4 3.23 car, what are the chances I will get one that is already fried? (Assuming I check fluide color/test drive before purchase). I just can't afford to buy a new car (to me) and then replace the tranny ASAP. Thats weak.

If I went A4, I would buy a DeRale pan with 2qts extra capacity and air tubes through it. would I need an extended pickup tube for this? Also, I would add a 24K GVW B&M cooler. I live in Louisiana (110* this last summer). And want a tranny that will last me 120-150K miles if I dont flog it too bad. Will this prevent a 4L60E from slipping or dying on me?

The shift points will remain stock and the only mods besides cooling for the tranny would be a DMH E-cutout and a lid/filter, so 320whp or less.

WIll it last? Or should I just go T56?

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

WOuld appreciate bolt-on/stock cars with stock 4L60E's in good working order to post up their mileage/mods/cliamate and driving style, let me see how they do in the real world

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have a 98 with ~90k on the clock. Stalled, shift firmness bumped up, shift duration at 50%, and shift points moved up. I've beat the piss outta the car and haven't had any issues with the tranny. IMO a t-56 has more clutch issues than issues with the 4l60e. I think they're a pretty durable tranny myself.

Red
    2000 SS

I have a 2000 w/ 63,000k. It's had a yank 3000st since about 20k and a trans cooler, no shift kit yet. I have longtubes, intake, exhaust making probably about 400 crank hp give or take. I dont beat the bag out of the car but i do like to have fun and i do drive pretty hard sometimes. I usually take it to the drags once or twice per year and do around 5 runs or so every time I am up there. I live in MA so it gets above 100 up here in the summer on occasion and even in stop an go traffic, I have never seen my tranny temp any hotter than 180 deg. Normally it runs between 125 and 150 deg. I havent experienced any problems thus far and it seems to be running strong.

Black
    99 SS

on my 4th one in a bit over a year

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    Tell me you're joking. 160k on the clock... B&M Shift Kit... runs stronger than ever. (Texas, It's plenty hot here)

EDIT: Driving Style.. I usually don't get on her too hard, but every once in a while I make sure she's still alive an' kickin

<--- Doesn't look too shabby for 160k eh?

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    Tell me you're joking. 160k on the clock... B&M Shift Kit... runs stronger than ever. (Texas, It's plenty hot here)

EDIT: Driving Style.. I usually don't get on her too hard, but every once in a while I make sure she's still alive an' kickin

Looks good, my 95 TA had 170K on her when sold and usually garnered such comments as "03' or 04?" from the uninformed. (A4 rebuilt at 140K miles...owner also snapped an axle...hrmmmmm) so I really dont know how she would have lasted

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

A little more input?? please? lol

Black
    99 SS

they suck ass IMO, I would get a 6 speed, one for mileage, two for fun, unless your strictly using the car as a track car, its harder to tune the car for one, and if you like to play then the stick is the only way to go, i have a 4 speed in my Chevelle and i enjoy driving it a lot more then my auto Z28, even though my Z has about 150 more HP then the Chevelle does
    95 WS6, 6 speed, FULL suspension, 9" spool, Vortech S/C HARD TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 Z28/SS Vert Triple Black, H/C

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post

you must of got a good one

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

they suck ass IMO, I would get a 6 speed, one for mileage, two for fun, unless your strictly using the car as a track car, its harder to tune the car for one, and if you like to play then the stick is the only way to go, i have a 4 speed in my Chevelle and i enjoy driving it a lot more then my auto Z28, even though my Z has about 150 more HP then the Chevelle does
    No wonder you eat auto's up, your car is 400whp +

Black
    99 SS

hope this one can finally deal with it, im going to buy another 10 bolt and start launching this SOB at the track and not going from an idle anymore it sucks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Under 400 RWHP and very few launches with slicks and your good to go....over any of those paremeters and find a good looking red haired woman with tig ol bitties that can rebuild 4L60E's.....get a trannie cooler man....that will help alot...and the red haired woman aint a bad idea either.

Red
    2000 SS

If I buy a A4 3.23 car, what are the chances I will get one that is already fried? (Assuming I check fluide color/test drive before purchase). I just can't afford to buy a new car (to me) and then replace the tranny ASAP. Thats weak.

If I went A4, I would buy a DeRale pan with 2qts extra capacity and air tubes through it. would I need an extended pickup tube for this? Also, I would add a 24K GVW B&M cooler. I live in Louisiana (110* this last summer). And want a tranny that will last me 120-150K miles if I dont flog it too bad. Will this prevent a 4L60E from slipping or dying on me?

The shift points will remain stock and the only mods besides cooling for the tranny would be a DMH E-cutout and a lid/filter, so 320whp or less.

WIll it last? Or should I just go T56?
    For what you intend on doing to the car....the auto should hold up just fine....especially with a cooler. I have read that the 4l60e's are made to handle 400 crank hp with no problems. I don't know about now, but i know these transmissions were used in 1/2 ton chevy trucks which weigh more than our cars and are meant for light duty towing. IMO they are durable as long as you take care of them.

thats crazy sounds like you need to find a better tranny builder

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

4L60E do not like spinning above 6200 rpms, that is what kills these transmissions. Keep it under 6200 rpms and it will live for a long time, regardless of HP.

Black
    99 SS

yup it sure does kill them mins shifts at 6,700 and i could go higher then that and make power

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

4L60's live short lives if you live in the high RPM's, especially with a stall.

They tend to be very durable for truck duty because trucks rarely see above 5500RPM, most of the time is spent in the 1000-2500RPM range. The 4L60 just isn't really cut out as a high RPM sports car tranny. So if you get a stall and bump up the redline to around 6500, you can say bye bye to your stock 4L60.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    4L60's live short lives if you live in the high RPM's, especially with a stall.

They tend to be very durable for truck duty because trucks rarely see above 5500RPM, most of the time is spent in the 1000-2500RPM range. The 4L60 just isn't really cut out as a high RPM sports car tranny. So if you get a stall and bump up the redline to around 6500, you can say bye bye to your stock 4L60.
    Thanks for amking me feel good about my 3600 stall and 6600 shift points, I'm gonna go cry now

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Will a 4L60E die at sustained speeds? (I.E. 120mph for 4 hours?) Does this heat them up too?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Coming up on 100,000 miles and had to rebuild the tranny at 60k miles prior to the Torque converter install. I've abused the hell out of it but it still bothers me knowing I toasted it with minor bolt-ons.

If you're going to race the car often...chances are you will break it. Especially if you decide to use sticky tires. If you merely want it to cruise and get on it a few times it should last quite awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information