Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RevMax

white
    2000 trans am

RevMax

Ever heard of RevMax converters? I bought this with out asking any questions, I just called and orderd. Tom sounded like this converter was being custom built, you know all the questions about cam, and gear. Should be here this week. $350.00 deliverd. 3500 stall speed 6.0 TransAm. Most of the time you get wat you pay for. Any one ever used one?
    Last edited by Cutlass; 02-15-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: removed non-sponsor business phone number

white
    2000 trans am

(copied and pasted)
    Hi folks...

I am constantly running into people that are buying cheap "JUNK" converters and end up disappointed in the long run. I was hoping I could provide a little bit of information so that people could be a little more educated when they buy a converter. Here goes...

Picture #1. This is a STOCK GM 4 cylinder converter out of a Chevy Cavalier.

Picture #2. I have gone through the trouble of cutting it open so you can see inside. On the left you see the front cover. It is the cover that actually bolts up to the motor. It has a smooth surface on the inside for the lockup clutch to ride on. If you notice, the lockup clutch is actually rather small. It is about 3/4' wide with a small overall diameter.

Picture #3. This is a picture of a TCI cheap converter. This is the type of converter people keep using because of their low price, yet later end up paying quite a bit more because the converter takes a dump and takes out the transmission. That was the case with this particular converter.

Picture #4. From this angle you can get a better look. The converter is actually a stock GM converter with an ADAPTER RING welded on the front. This ring is so that a 4 cylinder converter is able to bolt up to an 8 cylinder engine. They also replace the pilot and the hub to match the needs op the 8 cylinder engine. This adapter ring is the very first indication that you have bought a junk converter.

Picture #5. I went ahead and cut this converter open as well. As you can see, it WAS the same lockup clutch that you find on the GM stock 4 cylinder converter. This lockup clutch works great in a 120hp Cavalier or Pontiac Sunbird that weighs 2500lbs. It just doesn't hold up well in 400+ horsepower GTO's, Corvettes, and F-bodies that weigh considerably more. Notice how the lockup clutch is destroyed. It has also wiped out the surface on the front cover where the lockup clutch applies. Guess where the lockup clutch is? You guessed it... In the transmission, clogging up the filter and causing transmission failure. (Which is exactly what happened to the poor guy that owned this converter.)

Picture #6. A closer look at the destroyed lockup clutch.

Picture 7. A closer look at the destroyed converter cover and lockup surface.

Picture #8. Now a look at a little bit pricier converter. This one is a Precision Industries Vigilante converter. (That's obvious just by the color.) Notice that there is no adapter ring on the front cover. The front cover is machined from a solid piece of billet. It is thicker and stronger than the stock cover and will not flex.

Picture #9. Now let's look inside... First, notice the cover on the left. The billet cover has a nice WIDE area for the lockup clutch to ride. Not that thin area provided by the stock converter. The part in the middle is the lockup clutch. See the difference? MUCH bigger. It is bigger in diameter and it is bigger in width. The amount of surface area is enormous compared to the TCI. This lockup clutch can take a TON of abuse unlike the 4 cylinder ones. And, if by chance you like to lock up your converter on wide open throttle runs, Precision Industries supplies multi disc clutches for even more holding potential.

Picture #10. This is a picture of the TCI lockup clutch next to the Vigilante clutch. Which one do you prefer?

In this post I have not mentioned Stall, or STR's or anything else. Can a cheap TCI converter get you a good 60 foot? Absolutely. It's not just about track times, it's about longevity.
    So, when you think you're saving money by buying a $400 converter. Think again. You will cost yourself much more in the long run. If you can't afford a better part. Wait... Save up for a couple more months. Buy the good part and you'll be happier in the end. Nothing is more disappointing than breaking down.
    I hope this post helps someone out there. It took a while to prepare, I hope someone benefits from it.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 02-21-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Fixed for you

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Fixed OP

Red
    98 Trans Am

I do have to put this here though... I have a Revmax 3200 TC with Billet fornt cover, Anti-ballon plate and upgraded kevlar clutch. Ive put about 1000miles on it with alot more drving on it then most can do in the states. I put 400 miles on it on highspeed autobahn speeds. Will be testing it on the "RING" in May and also Race wars in July. Will also put my car on a Dyno as well in July.
    Installed the Stall myself, heard all three "clicks", and all measurements were in tolerance both pad to bell housing and pad to flexplates. No shimes needed. (might have been lucky on that lol) Im

Since this threads is about revmax specifically, i thought id put in an ACTUAL experience instead of theorized or speculation. When and/if mine converter does take its own life, I will cut it apart and see whats actually inside it. I have a feeling my stock rearend will go out before this stall, as well as my stock 4L60E. I will also put more strain on this converter with a turbo later on to see what it can handle.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by squirlnutz View Post
    Picture #4. From this angle you can get a better look. The converter is actually a stock GM converter with an ADAPTER RING welded on the front. This ring is so that a 4 cylinder converter is able to bolt up to an 8 cylinder engine. They also replace the pilot and the hub to match the needs op the 8 cylinder engine. This adapter ring is the very first indication that you have bought a junk converter.
    Click for full size
    the REVMAX converters i just looked up also have this adapter ring welded on... so does that mean its junk?
    Click for full size

Red
    98 Trans Am

Im gonna gather that the none billets have less "power" ability then adaptor/weld plates. HOWERVER!! just cause a welded mounting pad is used doesnt mean its weaker. Stock converters use this as pictured in my post.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

idk rated at 750HP but the billet cover is more like yours? how do u like yours? if you dont mind me asking what did u pay with all the extras?

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

i got a revmax 3200 non billet.my friggin tranny bulder sucks donkey nards so my tranny slips like a whore on sunday.so i cantreally test my convertor out to se what the 1/8 mile times are.i do know that fitment was great,customer service is good.they actuallycald me about a month later just to see how happy i was with their product.no problems so far.BTW I DO HAvea problem.i think this tc is too tight for my huge cam.cause when the fluid is cold,and i have it in drive with foot on the brake,the idls surges a bit,and when i put in in park or nuetral it does not do it.doesnt do it when fluid is hot.thats my only gripe.

Red
    98 Trans Am

im not experiencing any of that, but i also have my stock 98 cam in there. When its cold, the converter slips more then when its up to temp, then it drives almost close to stock. Maybe a little more gas then stock but not too much more input. Ive got on it a few times on the autobahn rolling from 60 and it feels totally different, really strong.

white
    2000 trans am

I noticed my "cheep" converter was very tight at first, but now it revs more a bit more freely. I dont have slicks and still cant really tell if how well it works. Hopefully soon I will order my "cam kit" by Allen Futral. It will be a custom grind for my LQ9. For now my car is actualy slower in the 1/4 mile by 3 tenths and 5 - 7 mph. That could be from the tune. My computer was tuned for the cid only and not for the spesific package.

Red
    98 Trans Am

well the rev max held up to some base dyno numbers
    301HP and 426TQ (dont ask i dont even undstand that)
    Only light to come on was my ABS inop.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    well the rev max held up to some base dyno numbers
    301HP and 426TQ (dont ask i dont even undstand that)
    Only light to come on was my ABS inop.
    Dont see how those numbers are possible...at all.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I had dyno numbers like that on my 383 stroker SBC. It was a torquey thing for sure. LS1 though... not sure. Maybe the converter flashing up tricked the dyno numbers a bit....not even sure if that makes sense

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Dont see how those numbers are possible...at all.
    Looks like some Olds 403 #'s W/HC

Do you have the Dyno Graph?

Can you post it?

Red
    98 Trans Am

I have no dea, but here it is
    dyno run.jpg
    By the way like the new picture uploader

I looked into it a little closer. Its in Newton meters. I was told that the TQ was already converted but when i looked at it, it wasnt yet. I converted its and it puts it at a more realalistic 314 ft lbs of TQ not NM lol

SO its 301hp and 314TQ Imperial numbers mind you lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 07-08-2011 at 09:09 AM.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Thats about normal for a bolt on 98.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ahhh. Makes much more sense now! Damn confusing metric system

Red
    98 Trans Am

lol your telling me lol wish i had 426rwtq though lol that would be amazing! but alas its a starting point. The stall though is doing quite well. Still need to hook up my temp gauge though. still havnt had time to do that. An ocassional data reading from a scanner has revealed 170 at one time after a 2 hour trip.

Red
    98 Trans Am

well went to race wars. not happy with my time but the converter isnt too blame. It launches nicly, my tune on the other hand needs some TLC though. Now im not sure whats going on, but my 98 LS1 after mods and tune only doing 14.8 and 301RWHP isnt right and i know it. I had 14.1s stock in the states on slightly prepped tracks on 245s street kumhos. I did 14.7s on an airstrip in el paso with the same setup at 5000FT above sealevel so, i need some tuning time. But the CONVERTER when my car does decside to work electronicly feels great lol I launched nice once or twice on offramps going onto the autobahn, so i know it works, it scared me the first time it did it lol

rev max

just in case someone needs anymore info on the revmax product i can tell you that unless a customer requests otherwise, rev max is the only converter i sell. the reasons are numerous but i will give you a few first, there product is great and it does what they say it does ( when i sell a product thats my reputation). second you are buying from true gear heads not some guy thats never seen underneath a car let alone inside a converter. third they race what they build, they have a 1000hp drag car that they purchased to use as a test bed to provide you better product with real world experiance. last there shop is as clean and neat as a medical facility so transmissions and converters are built right and free from any contaminants. we have revmax in all of our race cars and will be ordering one soon for a all motor ls1 build very soon. forgive the spelling i saw this post and had to reply from my phone. speedfreaksrodncustoms@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information