2000 Trans Am

Recalibrate the shift points???

Well I have posted several times on this forum about the transmission that I had rebuilt. First question is did I pay too much? I paid $2,300.00 for them to rebuild the transmission cause 3rd and 4th clutch seized up! After the first time I took it to them, i had to take it back 2 days later for the same thing!! they said it needed a shift kit......so they installed a shift kit.......now it shift fine around town but if i take it to the track to do quarter mile runs third gear at WOT bounces off the rev limiter and won't shift unless i get out of the throttle and get back into it again!!! They insist that i need to have the shift points recalibrated.......but what would replacing the trans with stock parts and a shift kit have to do with my computer.......the last time i talked to the mech, he said he would ask around and give me a call back that was a month ago!!! And now I am fed up!!! I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, because they still haven't fixed the underlying problem. Does my computer need to be recalibrated for some reason???? sorry for the long post someone please help me!!!
    Last edited by clg82; 06-03-2008 at 05:37 PM.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Yeah I Would Say You Paid Too Much,you Can Get A Built One Too Handle A Lot Of Power For That Much And You Still Have The Stock Tranny Too

It Does Sound Like You Need A Tuner To Change The Tranny Settings
    At Least That Is What Everyone Told Me And That Seems To Be The Norm

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dpinson View Post
    Yeah I Would Say You Paid Too Much,you Can Get A Built One Too Handle A Lot Of Power For That Much And You Still Have The Stock Tranny Too
    Thanks for the pick me up anyways i already returned the car back to the mechanic that did it to begin with and told him to fix it. I see no way why the trans being rebuilt would cause the shift points to be recalibrated.......all i asked for them to do was fix the problem that i brought it in there to begin with!!!
    Last edited by mrr23; 07-08-2008 at 05:07 AM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

+2 on the way overpaid.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

blue
    2000ss

No a stock rebuild with a stock converter should not require tuning, And yes you paid to much our top level 3 is 2600 dollars ! sorry

retired racer not 4 long chevy1966's Avatar

red white
    1999 z28 vert 1998 z28 ht

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Well I have posted several times on this forum about the transmission that I had rebuilt. First question is did I pay too much? I paid $2,300.00 for them to rebuild the transmission cause 3rd and 4th clutch seized up! After the first time I took it to them, i had to take it back 2 days later for the same thing!! they said it needed a shift kit......so they installed a shift kit.......now it shift fine around town but if i take it to the track to do quarter mile runs third gear at WOT bounces off the rev limiter and won't shift unless i get out of the throttle and get back into it again!!! They insist that i need to have the shift points recalibrated.......but what would replacing the trans with stock parts and a shift kit have to do with my computer.......the last time i talked to the mech, he said he would ask around and give me a call back that was a month ago!!! And now I am fed up!!! I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, because they still haven't fixed the underlying problem. Does my computer need to be recalibrated for some reason???? sorry for the long post someone please help me!!!

There are 2 shift solonoids in our transmissions. Go to your local GM dealer and replace both, they are not that expensive. If you are still having troubles, you may have to get someone who is a tuner and see what your shift points are set at. HTH.

2000 Trans Am

Well after the millions of post's and all the questions you guys have been answering for me IT IS FINALLY FIXED.....Long story short I got my trans rebuilt about a year agon and it has never shifted right since at WOT so i opened a dispute with the Better Business Bureau, and he finally owned up to it and finally fixed it. The problem was i guess with the stage 2 shift kit that they installed, and the thid and fourth "check ball" was releasing too much fluid and it was becoming flooded. SO they called the manufacture and they said they needed to put a plug in there and drill a very tiny hole so that not that much fluid enters, and now it shifts perfect at wide open throttle. Thank you for everyone that helped and leave any comments or suggestions if you feel like...................~Chris

Thread Information