Thread: rebuid time

green
    98 z28

rebuid time

so last night my tire shredds and this morning my trans goes its been great so this is what i was thinking the monster in a box rebuild kit a shift kit and somewhere inbetween a 3000 and a 3400 stall with a cooler ive read how if you delete the torqe managmentthe stall shouldnt affect the gas milage much so my idea was do everything above with a 373 gear how do you guys think that will affect the mpgs its a daily driver so thats the main concern my car is stock other then exhaust and other then headers and an intake manifold i dont see me doing much more and ideas or what brand converter all of your input is welcome good or bad i need to get it fixed fast thanks

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Monster is up the road from me. I am on my 3rd trans from them and the story behind the one that is in there is amazing. Here is what lead to the 3rd rebuild of this trans. http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135841
    When they rebuilt this thing after the blow up in the link above, they told me I needed 5 pinion plants and I said ok WTF ever, just do it. I went and picked it up and they said It's been test driven and is ready to go. I picked up the trans with the converter on the trans. I asked him if I needed to take it off and he said no leave it it's filled and you can just bolt it in. So I got home and bolted it in and did'nt bother checking. BIG MISTAKE. I had it back in and all together. Only thing I had to do is change out the pans. I have a deep pan that I don't send with the trans when they fix it. So I went to put it on and as I dropped the stock pan I realized the damn trans was bone dry inside. Not a drop of ATF anywhere. I had to pull it back out and pull the converter because it was installed bone dry as well. I put it all back together and got it running. I emailed monster and told them that I was pissed and about what I found. The owner called me the next day and said you need to call me back so I did. He then told me that they F'd up. They gave me back my trans but it wasn't done yet. It did not have the 5 pinion plants and they had not done a final inspection on the build. I have been not driving this thing that much due to the fact I don't know if it is going to last. This is now a 2 year ongoing saga.
    All I can say is I would be carefull of those guys.

green
    98 z28

i was just going to get the rebuild kit and have someone else do it and i dropped the car off today and i told him what i wanted to do and he said a 3400 is to big with a 373 he said its alot of wasted power and that ill be screaming down the highway he said a 2500 would be big enough but u guys have all said as long as u delete the torque managment i should be fine and that these converters lock up better so im sorry if i sound like a broken record but can some with a 3400 and a 373 help me out so i am sure this is what i want will i be screaming down the highway and does it kill the gas milage also my buddy told me if i go to 373 with a 3400 it will lock up faster and not slip as much because it will be shifting sooner how true is that thanks for any help

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

A 4000 stall and a stock stall will both be at the same rpm going down the freeway because our torque converters have a clutch that "locks them up" Next time you leave from a stop light watch your rpms as it shifts and note how the rpms will fall again after it has shifted into 4th-that is the lockup.
    I would read up on torque converters because they are all made differently and there are terms such as looseness and tightness that would be in your best interest to know.
    3200-3600 for a street driven car is the norm. Most who post on the web say they would have gone bigger, some people I have talked to say they went smaller because the 3400 stall pissed them off every time they left from a light. Tightness and looseness of a converter play a part in that.
    yank and circle-d make great converters

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

A higher stall kills gas milage in stop and go where you don't maintain speeds above 45 to 50mph and get TCC lockup. On a stock engine it really wont kill it either it just will not get as good as a stock stall. Stalls are for putting the engine in the power band. Usually you do that if you want quicker inital acceleration. If that is what you want, live with the gas milage. It really depends on what your plans are for the car and how soon you will be doing them. I would say 2800 to 3200 if your stock and still want it to have decent stop and go fuel eco. If your going to at the track a bit I would go more like 3200 to 3600 on a stock/bolt on engine. guys run 3800 to 4000's but it's a tad of a stretch depending on the bolt on mods.

green
    98 z28

thanks guys thats all i was really looking for i just want to beable to drive it around without it being as bad as my truck but on occasion slap some skinnys and slicks on it and go have fun thanks again

Thread Information