Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Green
    1994 Z28

Is it really necessary to stall a a4??????

Im fixing to get a cam and i REALLY need to know if im going to have to get a stall as well.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

A stall should always be your first mod.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Aww my favorite mod...wouldn't drive another auto without one

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

very necassary, around 3200

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

3200 minimum

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

very necessary if u wanna get shitty gas mileage. i have a billet 9.5" 3000 stall on my dakota r/t and while it hits hard and feels great under heavy acceleration, it gets about 8 miles to the gallon in city driving. to me it was a big trade off. i actually appreciate the stock stall in my trans am. touch the gas just a tiny bit and ur already down the road. reminds me of how my truck used to be. another benefit to the stock stall is firmer shifts. i wouldnt say the stall is the best mod out there. Gears by far blow a stall out of the water.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    very necessary if u wanna get shitty gas mileage. i have a billet 9.5" 3000 stall on my dakota r/t and while it hits hard and feels great under heavy acceleration, it gets about 8 miles to the gallon in city driving. to me it was a big trade off. i actually appreciate the stock stall in my trans am. touch the gas just a tiny bit and ur already down the road. reminds me of how my truck used to be. another benefit to the stock stall is firmer shifts. i wouldnt say the stall is the best mod out there. Gears by far blow a stall out of the water.
    O'rly ? stall -.5 in the 1/4 > then gears ..not to mention it is a necessity for the OP since he is getting a cam

3200 minimum......i would look into a 3600 or a 4000 ......i will be getting a yank 4k stall here as soon as i pay off the majority of my credit card bill you really want a stall..trust us

Black

I disagree about the gears. Gas mileage will suffer in city and highway. At least with a converter, it will lock up at 45 mph and get the same mileage.

I drove an A4 with only 3.73's. Hated it, always seemed like it needed to shift. Screaming at 3000 rpm's on the freeway sucked.

Plus the extra torque a converter gives you. I have a 3200 stall. Wished I went higher.

Whatever you decide, go one higher.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I disagree about the gears. Gas mileage will suffer in city and highway. At least with a converter, it will lock up at 45 mph and get the same mileage.

I drove an A4 with only 3.73's. Hated it, always seemed like it needed to shift. Screaming at 3000 rpm's on the freeway sucked.

Plus the extra torque a converter gives you. I have a 3200 stall. Wished I went higher.

Whatever you decide, go one higher.
    that is why i am going with the 4k ..it is my understanding that even for a stock ls1..a 4k is perfect for them. im not scared of too much stall or str i embrace it

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

im just saying that with gears it can actually improve the city mileage because the car gets going easier. highway mileage will sometimes go down but sometimes not depending on if the speed you drive is causing the engine to be in the sweet spot of the powerband. only negative is the higher rpms. with the stall though it really affects city driveability a lot. Its fun for sure but if the car is a daily driver and u do mostly city driving, its a mistake in my opinion. For a city car id keep the stock stall and throw in some 4.10 or like i have in my truck 4.56 gears. If u dont care about mileage or driveability though than def go for the stall it will be fun and give a stronger launch at the track.

Black

I can agree with that. If you are always driving under 45 mph, the converter will never lock up.

But most want performance, that is why they bought f-bodies.

I used to DD my car, it never bothered me.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

<-----SS4000 w/2.73s

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

do you guys think its worth holding off on a stall till you do a h/c install?

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

I have a vigiliante 3600 waiting to go in this saturday!! Ill let ya know how I like it when i throw mine in

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    do you guys think its worth holding off on a stall till you do a h/c install?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    A stall should always be your first mod.

Not according to two people...

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Not according to two people...
    hmmm...so what happens if the cam you choose is needs a higher stall or a smaller one? or is a 36-4000 gonna fit everything

A converter should always come before a camshaft or at the same time.

Any camshaft with a decent amount of overlap will have trouble idling, low vacuum, etc... and will be difficult to hold still while in gear, in severe cases the car will creap and/or lung forward when put into gear,,,,and just generally makes it a pain to drive around.
    The converter is designed to allow some slippage and eliminate these problems, making for a more pleasurable car to drive. Then there is the whole performance side of it as well.

As far as gas mileage, I haven't found it to be that big of a difference. I went from a stock converter to a 3400 and I only lost 2 mpg in city driving. Went from 22 to 20 mpg around town. Not enough to worry about, and well worth the trade off from the gain I received in my 60 foot times.
    On the highway the converter locks up (and even around town above 38 mph) so I see no gas mileage loss at all at cruising speeds above 40 mph or so. That's the beauty of these lockup converters,,,which is all the more reason to get one.

If peope are buying converters (especially lockup versions) and finding a huge drop in mileage,,,,then the converter is very inefficient and not doing a good job at what it's designed to do. That's generally the qualities of a cheaply priced and cheaply made converter.

I drive my chevelle with a 3800 converter,,,no lockup in a 400 turbo,,with a set of 4.10 gears. People that drive or ride in this car can't tell the converter is that loose. It putts around town or down the highway as if it's got a 2500 converter in it. But as soon as you bring the converter up and flash it on the starting line,,,,it will jump to 4,000 no problem. A very well built converter that does it's job. Drives near stock but performs well. Coan makes some of the best converters out there in my opinion.
    Go with a good name brand converter with a reputation and don't let money be the deciding factor,,that's where most people get into trouble.
    I believe you will be happy when it's all said and done.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

hmmm...so what happens if the cam you choose is needs a higher stall or a smaller one? or is a 36-4000 gonna fit everything

3600 stall is about right for most applications and will be fine for most cams. You can always return the converter and have it restalled if you choose to change your goals. Of course this isn't easy for most since you have to remove the tranny, send it off etc.

I should had a cam with my SS4000 and I will someday and it drives fine with it even though i only have bolt-ons.

So you can either choose a stall and find a cam later that will work with it or choose both at the same time. I just chose the SS4000 cuz I know what cam I want in the future.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    A converter should always come before a camshaft or at the same time.

Any camshaft with a decent amount of overlap will have trouble idling, low vacuum, etc... and will be difficult to hold still while in gear, in severe cases the car will creap and/or lung forward when put into gear,,,,and just generally makes it a pain to drive around.
    The converter is designed to allow some slippage and eliminate these problems, making for a more pleasurable car to drive. Then there is the whole performance side of it as well.

As far as gas mileage, I haven't found it to be that big of a difference. I went from a stock converter to a 3400 and I only lost 2 mpg in city driving. Went from 22 to 20 mpg around town. Not enough to worry about, and well worth the trade off from the gain I received in my 60 foot times.
    On the highway the converter locks up (and even around town above 38 mph) so I see no gas mileage loss at all at cruising speeds above 40 mph or so. That's the beauty of these lockup converters,,,which is all the more reason to get one.

If peope are buying converters (especially lockup versions) and finding a huge drop in mileage,,,,then the converter is very inefficient and not doing a good job at what it's designed to do. That's generally the qualities of a cheaply priced and cheaply made converter.

I drive my chevelle with a 3800 converter,,,no lockup in a 400 turbo,,with a set of 4.10 gears. People that drive or ride in this car can't tell the converter is that loose. It putts around town or down the highway as if it's got a 2500 converter in it. But as soon as you bring the converter up and flash it on the starting line,,,,it will jump to 4,000 no problem. A very well built converter that does it's job. Drives near stock but performs well. Coan makes some of the best converters out there in my opinion.
    Go with a good name brand converter with a reputation and don't let money be the deciding factor,,that's where most people get into trouble.
    I believe you will be happy when it's all said and done.
    Hmmm...makes sense. In my older cars I have always put a converter in right away. Just haven't gotten around to doing it for this one. Mainly b/c im afraid ill get one too small. I still have yet to make up my mind on where I want to go with the car over the winter so I have no clue what stall to get.

For optimum performance you want the converter custom built to the engine specs you are running at the time.
    A good converter company will go through an entire list about your car,,,,weight, gear, engine size, tranny type, camshaft, intake, dyno information if you have it etc....

So know your car well before calling about a converter.

That's the best way to do it.

Now you can buy a converter from a list out of a catalog,,,and alot of people get by with that. Usually doesn't provide best performance though. Just depends on what you are after.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information