Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ratchet Shifting a 4l60e

This is a discussion on Ratchet Shifting a 4l60e within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; Originally Posted by ICRAZY6 I talked to a few of the tranny builders and they say that with a built ...

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Quote Originally Posted by ICRAZY6 View Post
    I talked to a few of the tranny builders and they say that with a built unit that you can manually shift the tranny if you want without hurting it. With a stock tranny though I'm going to say the clutches and bands are to weak and result in your tranny failing.
    ya i figured that i was going to need to do some upgrades to the tranny in order for it to handle what i want to do. Do you think a shift kit, deep pan, cooler and manual valve body would be enogh or do i need to look into a complete build?

hugger orange

Ok long post lol
    I'm running the B&M Mega shifter in my 04 as GTO. B&M does not make a bolt in shiftet for us, but you (I used this one too) can use the shifter for 82-cant remember Camaro. You need to cut and reweld the tranny mounting bracket for the cable.
    Also with the 2000+ computer there are 2 pins on the computer, pinout 31 and 71.
    You need to have the option modes turned on by a tuner (I used hptuners) and then setup and adjust the performance setings for the tranny in the computer. (Tow/haul option on trucks)

one pin when sent to momentary ground will activate the performance mode... When the other pin is sent to momentary ground it sends it into full manual shift.
    I just can remember at the moment which pin does what.

So on my dash right above the shifter I have to buttons, and push the top one for the perfomance shift or the bottom one for full manual shift.

If you have any.questions just ask!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    ya i figured that i was going to need to do some upgrades to the tranny in order for it to handle what i want to do. Do you think a shift kit, deep pan, cooler and manual valve body would be enogh or do i need to look into a complete build?
    I'm running a 15x10" cooler
    3,800 stall
    Raptor input kit
    Sonnex carrier
    Beast sunshell
    5 pin planets
    Hd sprag
    Transgo hd2 full shift kit
    Hughs performace kevlar clutches and band... I think that's it lol

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    Upgrades were always in my plans too, but I'm waiting until it breaks. I figure it's working fine, I'll see how long it lasts.

With that said, I went ahead with the tune to firm up shifts, converter etc...and it's working fine so far, been about 3 years now.
    Sometimes others aren't so fortunate. It really depends on mileage and how well it was maintained, fluid changes etc...

You could look at it this way,,,,installing the shift kit, your pan and cooler now, wouldn't hurt anything. And if the tranny dies later, all that stuff can be reused for the build up. So you aren't tossing money away.

Up to you, if you have the funds and are that ambitious, by all means rip it out and do a complete build.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Well, my car only had 27k miles on it when the tranny let go. I was at 432rwhp and 400rwtq. I only ran it at the track 4 times total. 3 times on street tires and once on drag radial. If your going to spend money on the transmission I would highly sudjest just to do it right and once and have it built.

Well, my car only had 27k miles on it when the tranny let go. I was at 432rwhp and 400rwtq. I only ran it at the track 4 times total. 3 times on street tires and once on drag radial. If your going to spend money on the transmission I would highly sudjest just to do it right and once and have it built.
    And for everyone one person like yourself that had problems,,,there is another that hasn't had an issue.

I know of several on the board here with 11 second cars and still the original trans.
    One in particular had 120,000 miles on the car and would make 20 passes down the strip at a time, yanking the left front wheel in the air. He ran the car relentlessly.

I'm not sticking up for the transmission. Quite the contrary I hate the 4L60E. But in all fairness, it just seems to be a crapshoot when it comes to breaking or not.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

What you said is quite true. But if he is going to spend money to put new things into a transmission wouldn't it be wise to do it all at the same time?

What you said is quite true. But if he is going to spend money to put new things into a transmission wouldn't it be wise to do it all at the same time?
    If you have the time and money, and plan to keep the car,,,,I'd say ya, just do it and get it over with.

On mine I was somewhat interested in seeing just what it would take. I did a converter and a simple computer tune to firm things up on mine. Waiting to invest the real money until after things break, or it shows signs of issues. Been 3 years and 70K miles now so I can't complain. Still works nicely. Fluid changes every 10k and clean as a whistle.
    Don't get me wrong,,,,I'd like to build a stout tranny for it, but at this point I'm not that ambitious
    Mine isn't yet making the power some of the others are getting away with either.

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And for everyone one person like yourself that had problems,,,there is another that hasn't had an issue.

I know of several on the board here with 11 second cars and still the original trans.
    One in particular had 120,000 miles on the car and would make 20 passes down the strip at a time, yanking the left front wheel in the air. He ran the car relentlessly.

I'm not sticking up for the transmission. Quite the contrary I hate the 4L60E. But in all fairness, it just seems to be a crapshoot when it comes to breaking or not.
    Yep..I run high 11's and was doing fine. Then I quit going to the track for about a year then BAM..tranny goes out. The moral of this story? Stay at the track

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

thanks for all the good information guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information