black
    1998 camaro

question/opinions wanted

i am debating what stall speed converter to get. stock ls1 with lid and exhaust, 3.23 stock gears. and would like some input from people with different stall speeds to chime in, with these 2 questions/considerations in mind...
    the car is not my daily driver, it is a weekend toy, but when i do drive it i dont want it to be "loose" feeling, id like it to be simliar driving to stock, yet have that extra punch when im next to a gt mustang and wanna show him what ls1s can do....
    also, at what stall speed do i HAVE to get a tune to run it?
    just from research so far id guess 2600-2800? but would like to hear from you guys before i put it in the car.
    and i know to get an aftermarket cooler regasurdless.
    So if you have similar setups let me know how it is, and what all you had to do to make it perform. thanks.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run our car at the track and street drive it with a 3,200 stall converter. The converter and transmission combo dropped my track times by around 4/10ths and is barely noticeable on the street. I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 3,600 stall converter as this is what I should have went with. Like you, I was concerned about the higher stall, but after driving the car for almost 2 years now, it just isn't that big a difference. You'll need to adjust the tune for the lock up and an aftermarket transmission cooler is a must.

black
    1998 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I run our car at the track and street drive it with a 3,200 stall converter. The converter and transmission combo dropped my track times by around 4/10ths and is barely noticeable on the street. I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 3,600 stall converter as this is what I should have went with. Like you, I was concerned about the higher stall, but after driving the car for almost 2 years now, it just isn't that big a difference. You'll need to adjust the tune for the lock up and an aftermarket transmission cooler is a must.
    excellent. i appriciate the response. thats what i was hoping to hear, just dont wanna lose drivability for the times i let the woman drive my baby or even for myself. thanks.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can definitely tell its not stock, but after the first few trips it isn't all that noticeable. I have a Performabuilt Level II transmission and as part of the build they pop the restrictor plug out of the nose of the input shaft. The lockup function almost feels like it is shifting into another gear. Just be sure to go with a quality converter and make sure you get it fully seated. If you are interested, I have a thread on here detailing my tranny swap with a ton of pics.

Jeff is right on the money, these engines (even stock) will like something in the 34-3600 range. I run a 3400 in mine (engine stock) along with the factory 3.23's, and it's a sweet combo. Went from 13.20's to 12.70's, no other changes, and on stock rubber. Best bang for the buck in an auto LS1.

I did have to change the tune, as the loose converter tripped the engine misfire code (it thinks the trans is slipping) so I had to tame down the misfire tables a little at a time until the code went away. I think I wound up with 50% cutback so it wasn't so sensitive.

black
    1998 camaro

awsome info from both u guys, that takes away my nerves about going that high with it. im sold. and i will be digging in to your mentioned threads, and keep posted on progress, thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thread Information