question about shift kits

if i buy a transgo shift kit for my 02 z28 will it really make a big difference in the life of the transmission? i plan on running a 3,000 or bigger stall speed converter and a trans cooler, if anyone can help me it would be great thanks

white
    01 formula

usually makes the clutches last longer ,and gives you a seat of the pants upgrade!

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

i put my b & m shift kit in, and i'm not too sure if it had anything to do with it, but about 2 thousand miles after my transmission went out; after that I had my transmission rebuilt with stronger internals and (what they call) a stage 2 transmission (it really pounds into 2nd gear) I haven't had a single problem with the tranny after having it built, but I'm in the process of replacing my 2nd rear end. POS 10 bolt

but yes, theoretically it should help your transmission.. I think mine was just at the end of its time, and the shift kit just made it take more of a beating.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I was thinking about going with a shift kit but instead i did a mail order tune from frost with a tranny cooler. He changed the shift points of the tranny and now it snaps into gear in WOT.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I was thinking about going with a shift kit but instead i did a mail order tune from frost with a tranny cooler. He changed the shift points of the tranny and now it snaps into gear in WOT.
    lead me around the old and new tech. if you can still install a shift kit for improving shift characteristics, why do a tune on transmission? or if through a tune you can change shift points and increase pump pressures etc for improved shifting, why do a shift kit? are there significant differences in what each of these can accomplish? one better? one cheaper? just looking for which way to go when i get there. also does the mileage on the trans make 1 better than the other? anybody with some good input, feel free.

black
    02 vette vert

no info on this?

white
    01 formula

Talking

in my personal opinion if you have he ability to go through the ecm and change the shift char. for the same price as a shift kit ,that would be the way to go , mostly because the shift kit has you drill larger holes through the seperator plate in the valve body, which if you drill a hole ,you cant easily reverse it but if you just change a variable in the ecm and you dont like the feel of the shift you can chage it again, no holes to shrink,lol, .and if you havent had the torq. management taken off,or a tune done just have it done then! but the best option is to flip the accumulator and spring arrangement and turn the epc sol. up 1/4 turn. itll out do any shift kit for free!

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by fieropope View Post
    in my personal opinion if you have he ability to go through the ecm and change the shift char. for the same price as a shift kit ,that would be the way to go , mostly because the shift kit has you drill larger holes through the seperator plate in the valve body, which if you drill a hole ,you cant easily reverse it but if you just change a variable in the ecm and you dont like the feel of the shift you can chage it again, no holes to shrink,lol, .and if you havent had the torq. management taken off,or a tune done just have it done then! but the best option is to flip the accumulator and spring arrangement and turn the epc sol. up 1/4 turn. itll out do any shift kit for free!
    that makes sense. going to have a tune done anyway. i had a thought that a shift kit might be better for a high mileage unit. i will be getting with frost in the near future.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

It is a long running debate as to weather a shift kit actually prolongs the life of an auto trans. Debate is still running but the basic opinion is yes and no. lol. One thing everyone will agree on is HEAT KILLS. Keep it cool by getting a larger capacity pan, good trans cooler, and good fluid. Keeping the fluid fresh and cool will make it last longer for sure.

Thread Information