Part # for shift cable?

This is a discussion on Part # for shift cable? within the Automatic Transmission forums, part of the Drivetrain category; My 98 Z is having a hard time finding its gears. The problem appears to be the shift cable as ...

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Part # for shift cable?

My 98 Z is having a hard time finding its gears. The problem appears to be the shift cable as it is loose at the bracket on the underside. The retaining clip is there but the cable moves. Does anyone know the part number for the shift cable? Also, how is the cable adjusted? Thanks.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Found it! The part number is 12558306 from parts4chevys.com. Price is $43.26. My local chevy dealer is less than helpful and the prices of parts are marked up through the roof. They don't like to give out part numbers since we can use them to find much better deals online.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I installed the shift cable. Here is a tip: be careful with the shift lever on the tranny. In the course of taking the console trim off, the shifter was moved causing the was shift lever to change gears (that's what its supposed to do, right?). In the process of installing the cable and the console trim, I neglected to check the position of the lever on the tranny. All done, I put the car in reverse according to the indicator on the console. Imagine my surprise when the car moves forward- off the ramps.To avoid this, make sure the tranny is in park at the tranny and disregard the indicator until you have the cable adjusted.

To adjust the cable, there is a lock-I'm pointing to it in the photo- that must be pulled up. Once pulled up, you can adjust the cable length by pulling and pushing on the end of the cable. Once the desired length is reached, push it down to lock and push in the retaining clip.

Thus ends my story of trial and error. Don't repeat my mistake.

Thread Information