View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Return it to stock, sell it, and buy a modded Trans Am like i've always wanted.

0 0%
  • Keep it, 4L65E, Trans Brake, SS4000, Cam it

2 25.00%
  • Keep it, TH400, Trans Brake, RMVB, 4000 Stall, Cam it

0 0%
  • Get a cheap 4L60E, small stall, keep it, buy a Trans Am too.

3 37.50%
  • Other

3 37.50%

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Opinions wanted on tranny situation

Well I dropped the pan because my converter wasn't locking. Long story short the fluid is milky.

When I installed the converter I bipassed the radiator so the radiator is no longer even leaking into the transmission lines.

Unfortunately, the damage has probably already been done.

Why my coolant looks bright green? Hell IDK it should be a terrible color I would think.

So what should I do? I've always wanted a Trans Am anyways, but it'd be a lot of work returning it to stock. Well, more of a pain I guess. Pull of SFCs, LS6 intake, ported T/B, find a stock 4L60E to put in...etc. It has a nice sound system, but i could take the deck out pretty easily at least.

The reason I might wanna sell it, is because I only use it as a weekend warrior and it's not perfect, just little small things that needed fixed, but will add up in $$$
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 05-15-2009 at 05:24 AM.

blue
    2000ss

For me at least , Modding the car is at least 1/2 or more of the fun. Its a big part of the hobby. Driving a car moded by someone else well while finacially probably practical is just not the same thing IMO. You go from look what I did with my car I am driving to. Look at this car that someone else built.
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by performabuilt View Post
    For me at least , Modding the car is at least 1/2 or more of the fun. Its a big part of the hobby. Driving a car moded by someone else well while finacially probably practical is just not the same thing IMO. You go from look what I did with my car I am driving to. Look at this car that someone else built.

Well I could start listing off the things that's wrong with mine, no one would notice but me, but basically it's not perfect and I know what you are saying about buying an already modded car, it's just not the same.

So if I keep it, what would you do Frank?

Nevermind I see you voted....so thats about 2k for a transmission, 900 for a SS4000 or a few hundred to rebuild my SS3600. Then about 1k for the cam swap.

3-4k
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 05-15-2009 at 05:46 AM.

blue
    2000ss

Unfortunatley all mods build up and fixes take alotta money and time, And I understand impatience and set backs . I know my biggest project was my first car. 1973 impala coupe 454. I spent three years on it and went through a series of set backs (rear end, axles, old lady backing up in parking lot, new tires destroyed when the C clips came out of and axle, and more)I was a bit rough on her lol. And you know not even tree months after i was done and had all like i wanted , She was stolen and stripped, NO INSURANCE!
    But honestly if I could go back and do it all over again even knowing the final result. I WOULD! I had alotta fun building that car. NO MONEY LOL! but alotta fun.
    Last edited by performabuilt; 05-15-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

To be honest with you, Modding any car can be a real pain in the ass. Parts never fit the way their advertised. So, what are you going to do? When you buy a modded car it can be as big of a nightmare or more as having problems you already know about. Don't be like a ford guy and sell off your problems and advertise it as perfect condition. I hate that shit. If you know what is wrong post them here and let some people help you come up with a game plan. Not everything has to be brand new or even brand name. I think that is were a lot of people get screwed up. There is no part that is going to flat out make your car bad ass fast for little money except for maybe NOS. But even then you have to pay for it in the long run. If doing the work is not for you, then fix the problems and sell it and go buy something fun for you. Weather it is a car, a truck, an ATV, A boat, An RV, whatever. Life is to short not to enjoy something. When I was your age I found that I loved the water so I went out and bought a cheap ass boat to see if I really wanted to journey into the never ending money pit of boating. I found ways that made it efficient for me to do the whole boating thing with out spending a lot of money on it so that’s the way I do it now. Find something, and if it is cars... tinker tinker tinker, because a car like a boat is never truly done unless you are just driving a stocker and have no plans to ever do anything to it.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The odds of you finding a TA in the condition you want are not in your favor. I would keep it and address the issues that need attention.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well I thought about it and I always said I'd never sell it. If I knew someone that would buy it for my asking price I might, but that won't ever happen right now, these things are practically given away now days. Money isn't an issue for me right now, so i need to suck it up and keep it and fix it.

So how hard is a th350 or th400 conversion? I'm still doing research and I'm not in a huge hurry so just kinda weighing options here. I have 2.73s so I'm curious what my cruising RPMS would be at say 60 or 70mph and stock tire size...

Your cruising rpm wouldn't be an issue in my eyes with a 350 or 400 turbo,,since I drive old stuff all the time with alot of gear and no overdrive,,,,,but unless you are building an all out race car, I wouldn't bother on a 4th gen.
    I wouldn't look at this option to try to save a little coin.

It's much cheaper in the long run to fix what you have rather than sell and find something else. These cars are going on 10 years old and beyond now. They have been run through the mill, more than one owner, hard abuse etc...Finding an unmolested bone stocker has always been my approach so I don't get someone else's headache,,,but thats getting harder to do now.
    Stick it out and fix the 4l60E,,,unfortunately not cheap to do,,,but that's the price you pay for an overdrive. Once you get the bugs worked out, you'll know what you have. Buying something else is like starting all over again.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Frank is your warranty 2 years on just the tranny or the converter/tranny combo deal?

blue
    2000ss

1 year on just the trans 2yrs on the trans converter combos

Thread Information