Thread: noob question

noob question

noob questoin here because ive never had a automatic

i have a 3200 stall, at the track do i go to 1 and then shift to 2 and then drive?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Just let the car do your shifting. It'll do it much better than you will. In other words, just put it in "D" for "drag race".

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Just let the car do your shifting. It'll do it much better than you will. In other words, just put it in "D" for "drag race".

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i leave my car in OD all the time. shifting down to 3rd makes no difference.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Silver
    2002 Z28

Orion, please make a sticky for these people, jusr drive you auto in D!!! there is no reason to shift manually other than maybe for burnouts, or if you just like to keep the revs high or engine break to hear that exahust.

And shifting from OD to D does make a difference, I imagine its not to good for the tranny though unless you slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    Orion, please make a sticky for these people, jusr drive you auto in D!!! there is no reason to shift manually other than maybe for burnouts, or if you just like to keep the revs high or engine break to hear that exahust.

And shifting from OD to D does make a difference, I imagine its not to good for the tranny though unless you slow down.
    yea ive been told that overdrive hurts the car if you do it at excessive speeds

NBM
    1998Z28

You have a 4L60E and the E stands for Electronic controlled. In other words when you start out in first and manually move the shifter to 2nd its not going to change to second until the CPU sends a signal to the tranny to change gears.Not even if you have a shift kit installed. And the CPU uses RPM and MPH info to determine that.Not the position of the gear shift lever.Leave it in OD unless you want to bang your rev limiter.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    You have a 4L60E and the E stands for Electronic controlled. In other words when you start out in first and manually move the shifter to 2nd its not going to change to second until the CPU sends a signal to the tranny to change gears.Not even if you have a shift kit installed. And the CPU uses RPM and MPH info to determine that.Not the position of the gear shift lever.Leave it in OD unless you want to bang your rev limiter.
    This brings up something I noticed several years ago that I've seen discussed but never heard a good explanation of why. If you manually shift even if you just start in first and shift to 2nd immediately the shifts will hang a little longer. I know others have noticed this because I've seen it talked about before. Now I haven't manually shifted my car in many years but remember it doing this if I had it in 1 just playing around and punched it the 1-2 shift would be later than normal. I know the shift points, hell, I set them up in edit myself but I've never heard a good explanation as to why this happens.

Thread Information